Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #46
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Thanks Paul for a great product, great sale, and great service after the sale!

Steve

sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:10 PM   #47
GreeNug
210x2

Oddometer: 199
Thanks very much for the sale and the high quality product. Finally got a chance to test things out this weekend and they are an extremely tough set of hand guards.

photo DSC_0726.jpg

photo DSC_0707.jpg
GreeNug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #48
big sky mt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Yes it is a BRP setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
Hey big sky is that a BRP SUB-mount? Thinking of of using the BRP sub mount with next gen handguards myself.

Hey OKQD, yes it is a BRP sub mount triple clamp, with a Rox riser on top too.

http://roxspeedfx.com/product/rox-pro-offset-elite-block-riser-black.htm

I'm 6' 4" and it's easy to stand and ride with the setup.

The HDB next GEN is awesome too!

Merry Christmas! big sky mt
big sky mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #49
PeeinOffThePorch
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This is Derek, the monkey boy at HDB.

Quote:
Is the handguard piece the same using either the next gen or the ultimate? The reason for my question is I'm wondering if I go with the next gen set up and later want to add a top clamp can that be done or does it require a completely different set up?
Sorry OKDQ Paul's been busy "flushing IPhones" that he calls product testing. The guards for the NexGen set are identical to the Ultimates in every way except for length. We designed the NexGens so that they wouldn't interfere with one of our top clamps if you wanted to add one later.

Quote:
Paul, this photo is of my 2014 XCF-W. Do you think the Next Gen set up would interfere with the on/off headlight switch on the right side of the computer? It is a pull up/ push down type of switch, if it matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It shouldn't interfere with the push pull switch, if you do have any problems with it you can always email Paul or me about it.

These should be the easiest guards to install out there. The new clamping system allows everything to line up with minimal to no tweaking. We've tried them on many different bar bends and haven't hit many snags...minus the beamer folk naturally, but we are still working on the different configurations that guys are running.

mcnamara@highwaydirtbikes.com
PeeinOffThePorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #50
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Tap

Hey Derek, great screen name!

Thanks for your super quick response to my question the other day via email also.

Today I snapped the tap off in my bars with about one more thread to cut on the last side. Any words of wisdom from someone that has done this more than I have on getting the damned thing outta there?

Thanks -- Scott
Old 12-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #51
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFanMan View Post
Hey Derek, great screen name!

Thanks for your super quick response to my question the other day via email also.

Today I snapped the tap off in my bars with about one more thread to cut on the last side. Any words of wisdom from someone that has done this more than I have on getting the damned thing outta there?

Thanks -- Scott
I'm not an expert, but you can try this:

With compressed air, try to remove / clean the metal chips in between the tap and handlebar tube.

Then you will need a narrow chisel and a small ball pan hammer.

Put your chisel against a little nub or depression on the broken surface of the tap. Slowly hit the chisel on an angle in order to rotate the tap.

You can also get a helping hand to shoot some compressed air at the same time.

Combination of compressed air and vibration from the impact of the chisel will usually get the tap turning.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #52
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

HDB NexGen™ Handguards and 20% off Pre-Order Sale

Thanks Zander, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I may try to heat the handlebar up first with a heat gun too since the aluminum should expand a little before the steel tap (at least that's what I "hope" happens).
Old 12-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #53
Zander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Thanks Zander, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I may try to heat the handlebar up first with a heat gun too since the aluminum should expand a little before the steel tap (at least that's what I "hope" happens).
It should work !
Old 12-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #54
theantipaul OP
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
Good technique Zander, I have gotten many taps out doing exactly this, and adding some heat will also help, just a little caution as it can be over done and anneal the aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander View Post
I'm not an expert, but you can try this:

With compressed air, try to remove / clean the metal chips in between the tap and handlebar tube.

Then you will need a narrow chisel and a small ball pan hammer.

Put your chisel against a little nub or depression on the broken surface of the tap. Slowly hit the chisel on an angle in order to rotate the tap.

You can also get a helping hand to shoot some compressed air at the same time.

Combination of compressed air and vibration from the impact of the chisel will usually get the tap turning.

Quote:
XFanMan, a tap that's buried that deep is one of the toughest things to get out, if this doesn't work for you or you don't feel comfortable trying, send the bars to us and we'll cut it out, clean up the threads and install the inserts for you.

Shoot us a PM and we'll get you our address.
Thanks, Paul

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #55
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Any adv member discounts on these to be had? I'd like to phone in an order
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #56
theantipaul OP
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Any adv member discounts on these to be had? I'd like to phone in an order
Standing ADV 10% discount code "advrider01"

PM us your number and I'll have Derek give a call tomorrow.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #57
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Good technique Zander, I have gotten many taps out doing exactly this, and adding some heat will also help, just a little caution as it can be over done and anneal the aluminum.

XFanMan, a tap that's buried that deep is one of the toughest things to get out, if this doesn't work for you or you don't feel comfortable trying, send the bars to us and we'll cut it out, clean up the threads and install the inserts for you.

Shoot us a PM and we'll get you our address.
Thanks, Paul
Thanks Paul, I appreciate the offer. I'll see what I can do tomorrow and let you know via email. I've got your address still I think but hopefully won't need it

Thanks again...Scott
Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #58
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Hope somebody with some experience and knowledge with the nexgen set up is subscribed to this thread!

I'm in the process of installing the nexgen hand guards on factory KTM 1 1/8" bars (2014 350 XCF-W). I also bought the anti-vibe bar inserts, too. The anti-vibe came with a threaded collar that looks somewhat like a bar end weight. I don't know what this collar is for, any help would be appreciated. You can see the collar in the pic below that I copied from Paul's website. I'll show my ignorance and take a swag that it is a guide to keep the tap aligned correctly with the bar when cutting the new threads????

Second question: is there any reason I need to take the bars completely off the bike and clamp them in a vice when cutting the new threads, or can I tap the bars while on the bike w/o problem? I know I need to keep the tap well oiled in the process and keep the cuttings cleared, but otherwise I'm a noobie at this operation.

PS - I emailed Paul, but with it being a weekend I'm not expecting a reply before next week and I'd really like to finish the install today. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #59
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
the "tool" you reference is a guide to help you tap the bar straight.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #60
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I got an email reply from Paul almost immediately confirming my guess and sdd4's answer, too. Got both sides tapped already with no problems and have both guards loosely mounted in place because I forgot to buy any grip glue, otherwise they would be fully installed already!

Quote:
Hope somebody with some experience and knowledge with the nexgen set up is subscribed to this thread!

I'm in the process of installing the nexgen hand guards on factory KTM 1 1/8" bars (2014 350 XCF-W). I also bought the anti-vibe bar inserts, too. The anti-vibe came with a threaded collar that looks somewhat like a bar end weight. I don't know what this collar is for, any help would be appreciated. You can see the collar in the pic below that I copied from Paul's website. I'll show my ignorance and take a swag that it is a guide to keep the tap aligned correctly with the bar when cutting the new threads????

Second question: is there any reason I need to take the bars completely off the bike and clamp them in a vice when cutting the new threads, or can I tap the bars while on the bike w/o problem? I know I need to keep the tap well oiled in the process and keep the cuttings cleared, but otherwise I'm a noobie at this operation.

PS - I emailed Paul, but with it being a weekend I'm not expecting a reply before next week and I'd really like to finish the install today. Thanks.