User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #61
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,759
Question

On the top clamps that have the hole for the power port, which powerlet port fits it? Is it this one?

Powerlet Low Profile Powerlet Socket Kit (36")
Old 12-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #62
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Flexx bars

Hi Paul
Reference our email discussion on the Flexx bars, I'd like to wait for your handguard solution. Any idea when you might have something commercially available for that?

Garrett
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #63
theantipaul OP
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
On the top clamps that have the hole for the power port, which powerlet port fits it? Is it this one?

Powerlet Low Profile Powerlet Socket Kit (36")
Any of the Powerlet sockets will work, we typically use either of these,

http://www.powerlet.com/product/stan...let-socket/280

http://www.powerlet.com/product/lowp...let-socket/285

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Hi Paul
Reference our email discussion on the Flexx bars, I'd like to wait for your handguard solution. Any idea when you might have something commercially available for that?

Garrett
Hey Garrett, I'm still testing some that are mounted to the pivot over ones mounted to the top clamp. Sorry to say that for now I'm leaning against going into production on them, here's why.

I have ridden with them twice on trips and was fortunate enough to go down pretty hard and see how they held up. I did hit hard enough to bend the guards, but not the bars and upon examination no discernible damage was apparent, after reading through the warranty section of their website I'm beginning to think that our standard design that attaches to the top clamp rather then the bars does a better job of dissipating the impact force to the Flexx bars. With the guards bolted directly to the pivot joint any force seen on the guards is translated there, if by chance you take hit wrong, you're looking at sending your $300+ bars back to Fasst for a checkup. Within the first year they will replace them at 1/2 price, which is pretty cool, but if not you're looking at having them repaired by them or retired.

Point being that with the guards bolted up to the top clamp the force of any impact would be shared and not completely taken by the bars. Since we're talking about guards, I would want them to not only protect my hands and controls, but if possible my $300+ bars. Right now I think the standard guards do a better job.

Of course if you have a bad day any number of bad things could happen, I just got to squeak for a while trying to catch my breath. I'm still thinking about it, but not as positive about it as before.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #64
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Any of the Powerlet sockets will work, we typically use either of these,

http://www.powerlet.com/product/stan...let-socket/280

http://www.powerlet.com/product/lowp...let-socket/285

Hey Garrett, I'm still testing some that are mounted to the pivot over ones mounted to the top clamp. Sorry to say that for now I'm leaning against going into production on them, here's why.

I have ridden with them twice on trips and was fortunate enough to go down pretty hard and see how they held up. I did hit hard enough to bend the guards, but not the bars and upon examination no discernible damage was apparent, after reading through the warranty section of their website I'm beginning to think that our standard design that attaches to the top clamp rather then the bars does a better job of dissipating the impact force to the Flexx bars. With the guards bolted directly to the pivot joint any force seen on the guards is translated there, if by chance you take hit wrong, you're looking at sending your $300+ bars back to Fasst for a checkup. Within the first year they will replace them at 1/2 price, which is pretty cool, but if not you're looking at having them repaired by them or retired.

Point being that with the guards bolted up to the top clamp the force of any impact would be shared and not completely taken by the bars. Since we're talking about guards, I would want them to not only protect my hands and controls, but if possible my $300+ bars. Right now I think the standard guards do a better job.

Of course if you have a bad day any number of bad things could happen, I just got to squeak for a while trying to catch my breath. I'm still thinking about it, but not as positive about it as before.
Ok, that sounds reasonable. Will the standard guards reach the top clamp swivel the same as the OEM bars? I guess I'm asking if's a swap out or is there some tweaking (not twerking) of the guards involved?

Would you suggest using the supplied button head bolts on the swivels with a delrin washer?

Garrett
Old 12-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #65
theantipaul OP
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
Ok, that sounds reasonable. Will the standard guards reach the top clamp swivel the same as the OEM bars? I guess I'm asking if's a swap out or is there some tweaking (not twerking) of the guards involved?

Would you suggest using the supplied button head bolts on the swivels with a delrin washer?

Garrett
Yes, the guards fit with no more tweaking or twerking then normal bars, I'd better not see any Miley Cyrus posters if I come to visit!

Delrin washer and some Loctite on those bolts, we are looking into having some bolts made for that purpose and BTW I haven't noticed any difference in the flex.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #66
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, the guards fit with no more tweaking or twerking then normal bars, I'd better not see any Miley Cyrus posters if I come to visit!

Delrin washer and some Loctite on those bolts, we are looking into having some bolts made for that purpose and BTW I haven't noticed any difference in the flex.
HA! No Miley OR Justin around here...(I hear he's retiring...phew)

Ok I'll do as you suggest. No difference eh? That's disappointing.

Thanks Paul.

Garrett

PS
You're always welcome here, but I doubt our riding is much different or better than yours.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #67
theantipaul OP
Reforming Neandertal

Quote:
HA! No Miley OR Justin around here...(I hear he's retiring...phew)

Ok I'll do as you suggest. No difference eh? That's disappointing.

Thanks Paul.

Garrett

PS
You're always welcome here, but I doubt our riding is much different or better than yours.
Maybe I need to clarify a little, no noticeable difference between the top clamp mounted and pivot mounted guards, but I do like the bars.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #68
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe I need to clarify a little, no noticeable difference between the top clamp mounted and pivot mounted guards, but I do like the bars.
Oh Good! Thanks for that, I was hoping they would help my crotchety aging body. Try not to crash test your designs TOO much. We all know they work.

Garrett
Old 01-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #69
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 161
Order in!

Received this same message when returned to your site from Paypal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
Hey!

Great deal. My payment went through Paypal, but your site returned this bit of fun:

OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #70
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 161
That was fast! Hand guards came in today. Thanks for a great product and fast shipping.
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #71
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,253
Handguards for my Husky TR650

I need to make a shout out to HDB. I started conversing with Paul about a month and half ago. I needed handguards for my TR650 and they hadn't made any yet. Paul worked with me to insure that we had the top clamp measured correctly and that I would have space for my levers without cutting them off.

The parts got to me about a week and a half ago. Unfortunately the top clamp was just a little off in the width of the clamp bolt pattern. I took pictures for Paul at his request and he machined the new top clamp and mailed it "next day mail" that afternoon on his dime! Talk about customer service and going above and beyond!

So, the second time around everything fit fine and I must say this arrangement is stellar! It is bullet proof. Quality is what I expected from HDB and quality is what I got.

Thanks for going the extra mile for me.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #72
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,442

'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #73
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,042