Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,486
Regased And Rebushed Rear 950 SM Shock But Still Knocks???

Anyone got any good ideas?, not spending any more money on it now but the bloody thing still knocks between compression and rebound stroke and things that knock or clack wear out.

It has me beat, there is nothing else to do to it so I am stumped.

Ocers with good knowledge on these please chime in.

Thanks Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Swing arm bearings? Loose spokes on the rear wheel?

Just spitballing, well just woke and mouth is super dry so doubt I could actually spit.

Or are you sure its in the shock?

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Swing arm bearings? Loose spokes on the rear wheel?

Just spitballing, well just woke and mouth is super dry so doubt I could actually spit.

Or are you sure its in the shock?

/Johan
Heya Johan

Thanks for those, will check again but they all seem to be ok.

When I grab the back of the bike and push down it goes down almost quiet but when is starts to rebound there is a clunk, it gets worse when cold.

So when we start cold in the morning saying on a boney shingle road it knocks and chatters to the point I can feel it through the pegs, as everything warms up the noise get lesser.

Trying everything that can move and tying them up with cable tie everything points to the shock.

When someone bounces the bake end and you put you finger on to the reservoir you can feel a clunk but can't feel where it is coming from.

I am stumped and I don't wonna spend more on the shock, we have paid twice to have it regased and reolied, second time was because it was still knocking and I thought it had not been done properly.

In Bogota they have an actual injection machine so as high tech as the US.

So what else can it be...it is annoys me feeling and hearing it knowing we have a long way to go yet.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Typically, when you feel a knocking in the shock it is either bottoming out or topping out. To measure the shock travel, install a zip tie on the shock shaft to see if you're bottoming out. Topping out is when there is not enough rebound and when the shock fully extends it tops out.

If you feel a knocking in your shock and its not topping or bottoming out, IMO you might have a bent shock shaft or a damaged shock piston. When you had your shock serviced, did the shop completely take apart the shock and inspect all the internals?

I would also check the bearings and bushings on the top and bottom eye lets of the shock to see if that could be the source of your knocking.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,190
It sounds like the reservoir piston height was not set properly. It will require a full bleed along with setting the piston height and re-gassing...

www.powercellperformance.com
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by David37 View Post
Typically, when you feel a knocking in the shock it is either bottoming out or topping out. To measure the shock travel, install a zip tie on the shock shaft to see if you're bottoming out. Topping out is when there is not enough rebound and when the shock fully extends it tops out.

If you feel a knocking in your shock and its not topping or bottoming out, IMO you might have a bent shock shaft or a damaged shock piston. When you had your shock serviced, did the shop completely take apart the shock and inspect all the internals?

I would also check the bearings and bushings on the top and bottom eye lets of the shock to see if that could be the source of your knocking.
Hmmm it is a mid stroke knock, checked all bushes etc, no movement anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell View Post
It sounds like the reservoir piston height was not set properly. It will require a full bleed along with setting the piston height and re-gassing....
Heya Ken, the machine shop in Bogota has the injection machine and bleeder so it is supposed to have been done properly.

Interested in the piston height setting, the company that did everything in Medellin said everything was done but we still have the knock, we have paid to have it done twice, I am 100% sure it is in the reservior too.

Two questions,

Where would I find info on the piston height?

Will this knocking stuff things?

Cheers Ken, appreciate your help.