Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
grind
Thinking

Oddometer: 248
Any chance your lady friend will comment on her experience riding on the back (for all the other potential two up partners out there)?
Would you pick a Wee again?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #32
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Pillion perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by grind View Post
Any chance your lady friend will comment on her experience riding on the back (for all the other potential two up partners out there)?
Would you pick a Wee again?
Would I pick the Wee again? Absolutely without a doubt several times over. I never once felt like I needed more power,handling, ground clearance, passing ability, etc. set it up with some K60's and they will last you 10k miles and handle all the roads with ease. It's the Camry of bikes , everything you need but it's not going to make you feel cool. You can feel cool that your riding to Alaska.

Ok this is from the lady and her perspective , Ms. Alamo the floor is yours

When I told people that I would be spending two weeks of my precious vacation time riding on the back of a motorcycle up to Alaska their initial reaction was 😧 "why???" Or " wow, that's totally gonna suck....aren't you going to be freezing?" The only people who really thought it was cool were old dudes. I in fact I starting asking myself if I knew what I was getting into but figured what the hell it'll be an adventure and make for some good stories.

This trip absolutely delivered and was 100 times better than I thought. There was only a few hours on one or two days of the trip that were a little unpleasant. Most of the time was spent inhaling fresh air, marveling at the scenery, taking pictures (this proved to be a challenge in my gloves trying to keep my fingers out of the picture and not capturing PDX Alamos helmet right smack in the middle of a gorgeous waterfall or mountain range) & napping. My heated jacket liner and "magic underwear" ( bike shorts with a padded butt) were life savers.

My back got a little sore when the load on the top box AKA my back pad shifted to much and forced me into a slouching position but that was easily remedied with a few minor adjustments here and there. I think the best thing is to not get in a position where you are trying to power though the miles otherwise you'll be temped not to take regular breaks which is important for the passenger. It was nice to stop every hour or so to stretch, pee, eat a snack or take some pictures. I've done a lot of traveling but this was one of my most memorable trips yet. There was something so liberating about traveling without a suitcase and a ton of shit. We could have actually brought less stuff but had no idea of what to expect weather wise and ended up lucking out with record setting highs and hardly any rain. The camping just added so much to the experience I won't lie though....I didn't mind the occasional creepy motel and hot shower.

It also helped that my man is an obsessive researcher and had things dialed in to the best of his ability and took measures to make sure the trip would be equally enjoyable for me. Anything that popped up unexpected was never a show stopper but more of an opportunity to expand swear word vocab and make each other laugh. Was it ever stressful?...meh not really. Did we ever get cranky? For sure but we are lucky to understand each other well enough to not get our magic underwear in a wad.

Would I do the trip again?? Absolutely! When I returned home everyone wanted to know how much we fought and if we wanted to kill each other after all that time together in constant close proximity they were surprised when I answered "actually....I think we like each other even more now". Hope that helps any ladies on the fence out there. Also spring for the Alaskan butt pad, you won't regret it.
PDX Alamo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #33
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Cool RR. And cool post from Ms. Alamo!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #34
grind
Thinking

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Would I pick the Wee again? Absolutely without a doubt several times over. I never once felt like I needed more power,handling, ground clearance, passing ability, etc. set it up with some K60's and they will last you 10k miles and handle all the roads with ease. It's the Camry of bikes , everything you need but it's not going to make you feel cool. You can feel cool that your riding to Alaska.

Ok this is from the lady and her perspective , Ms. Alamo the floor is yours

When I told people that I would be spending two weeks of my precious vacation time riding on the back of a motorcycle up to Alaska their initial reaction was 😧 "why???" Or " wow, that's totally gonna suck....aren't you going to be freezing?" The only people who really thought it was cool were old dudes. I in fact I starting asking myself if I knew what I was getting into but figured what the hell it'll be an adventure and make for some good stories.

This trip absolutely delivered and was 100 times better than I thought. There was only a few hours on one or two days of the trip that were a little unpleasant. Most of the time was spent inhaling fresh air, marveling at the scenery, taking pictures (this proved to be a challenge in my gloves trying to keep my fingers out of the picture and not capturing PDX Alamos helmet right smack in the middle of a gorgeous waterfall or mountain range) & napping. My heated jacket liner and "magic underwear" ( bike shorts with a padded butt) were life savers.

My back got a little sore when the load on the top box AKA my back pad shifted to much and forced me into a slouching position but that was easily remedied with a few minor adjustments here and there. I think the best thing is to not get in a position where you are trying to power though the miles otherwise you'll be temped not to take regular breaks which is important for the passenger. It was nice to stop every hour or so to stretch, pee, eat a snack or take some pictures. I've done a lot of traveling but this was one of my most memorable trips yet. There was something so liberating about traveling without a suitcase and a ton of shit. We could have actually brought less stuff but had no idea of what to expect weather wise and ended up lucking out with record setting highs and hardly any rain. The camping just added so much to the experience I won't lie though....I didn't mind the occasional creepy motel and hot shower.

It also helped that my man is an obsessive researcher and had things dialed in to the best of his ability and took measures to make sure the trip would be equally enjoyable for me. Anything that popped up unexpected was never a show stopper but more of an opportunity to expand swear word vocab and make each other laugh. Was it ever stressful?...meh not really. Did we ever get cranky? For sure but we are lucky to understand each other well enough to not get our magic underwear in a wad.

Would I do the trip again?? Absolutely! When I returned home everyone wanted to know how much we fought and if we wanted to kill each other after all that time together in constant close proximity they were surprised when I answered "actually....I think we like each other even more now". Hope that helps any ladies on the fence out there. Also spring for the Alaskan butt pad, you won't regret it.
Cool! Thanks for the perspective. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Where to next?!!!!
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #35
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
The only people who really thought it was cool were old dudes.
welcome to adventure riding!

Quote:
When I returned home everyone wanted to know how much we fought and if we wanted to kill each other after all that time together in constant close proximity they were surprised when I answered "actually....I think we like each other even more now".
Awww!
You guys make a great couple!
Anyone who can make chicken toothpaste taste good is a keeper.

Thanks for the report, PDXA!

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #36
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh June 9th No trouble with the law! 253 Miles Tok Alaska to Valdez Alaska

We made our first real breakfast in a while and made some bacon and eggs, gettin mighty sick of Oatmeal mighty quick. Headed out on perhaps the most beautiful road of the whole trip so I’ll just drop a picture bomb. Make sure you go check out the Glacier when you hit the top of the pass. I know it looks cold but it wasn't at all. You will see what I mean and this my friends is Alaska!

The last bit before you hit Valdez is epic with water falls all over and spray hitting you as you cut through the rock walls on twisty roads. We both had smiles from ear to ear on this bit.

Pulled into beautiful Valdez and made our way to my friend of a friends house.

I had a friend of mine who had lived in Valdez Alaska and told me he had a friend there ( The Chief of Police) we could stay with who would show us around. We rolled into town but he was not at home out hunting grizzly bears with a bow ( of course he was, I felt a little less manly for a minute). Not sure what the arraignment was so I set up my tent in his front yard. His daughter arrived a bit later and they welcomed us in like we were family, wonderful people.

Gas $13
Lunch $20
Camping $free
Total $33 ( Cheapest day yet!)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
welcome to adventure riding!

Thanks for the report, PDXA!

It was your ride reports that got her on board to the idea so thanks for all your hard work on some of the best reports around. You have sailed many an ADV trip I think. To bad learning juice was so expensive on this trip
Old 11-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #38
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

June 10 Gone shrimpin Valdez Alaska miles 0

It was nice to have a break with no moto for the day. We had some real breakfast again and were taken on a tour of Valdez by his daughter which doesn't take you very long. Although I couldn't stay away from two wheels for even one day.

The town is very small but very picturesque with mountains everywhere you look, we checked out the docks and the halibut everyone was bringing in and cleaning. We also were able to earn our keep by working in the ice cream / coffee shop in town.

We were asked if we wanted to help the Chief go pull some shrimp pots on his boat, absolutely we do. I am sure they were amused that we were so enthralled with their daily duties of shrimp pots and bear hunting but to them thats just what you do.

We headed out into the Prince William Sound on his boat and it was beautiful!

We found the shrimp pots which he had neglected for a few days since he had been bear hunting. After reeling up the pots they had a decent haul and had some of the biggest shrimps we had ever seen. These guys were like baby lobsters , we also ate them raw after pinching off the head.

We were asked to rip the heads off on the way back to the dock and after a lesson from me my lady jumped right in beheading them. I had the experience since growing up on the coast my parents would buy shrimp by the ice chest full. My brother and I then would spend hours in the garage peeling and rippin off the heads. Good times

A bit later it was time for moose burgers which was normal for them but a real kick for us. An incredible dinner of the Shrimp we caught and moose, we were stuffed and the best meal of the entire trip.

Our plan was to drive to Seward in the morning but we were told to just take the ferry to Whittier since it was according to everyone there a beautiful boat ride.

We were able to move into the big house and slept in a real bed. It was also nice to break up the ride , eat ,sleep and repeat we had been doing.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:10 PM   #39
husqzilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Keep it coming. This ride report has been a real treat.
husqzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM   #40
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,408
Great food Pics!
Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #41
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cry June 11th Why did we want to come here? 179 Miles Valdez to Seward

June 11th Why did we want to come here? 179 Miles Valdez to Seward

Our original plan was to drive to Seward and backtrack but our host told us how awesome the ferry was to Whittier with Whales and glaciers so we dropped a few bucks and up early for the ferry after one last real breakfast of eggs and delicious coffee. ( The chief owned a coffee shop and some amazing coffee beans from Ethiopia. Rolled up to the ferry and the attendant ask us as we roll in if I have any combustibles on the bike, “yea about 5 gallons of gasoline in the tank” he gives me a look and ask about my fuel cans on the back so I tell them its alcohol and he demands they be locked in a secure locker. That doesn't really make any sense to me.

You know what else doesn't make sense to me is that they crammed 3 motorcycles and a Canam into the space of one car; we were literally on top of each other. So how come I pay the same as a car but take up way less weight and space so if I am paying for this space I shouldn't have to weave around the other bikes to get out. I should just find somebody with a truck and put my bike in the bed for a few $.

Anyhow met a nice couple on moto’s who’s name I of course forgot but they had an amazing journey and were thinking about moving there from LA. We traded adventure stories and watched the amazing scenery roll by with a few whale tails popping up but no breaching. Sorry folks thats the best I could do , must have been Free Willies day off.

The boat and staff were no where as nice as the Canadian boat but we had took but the scenery made up for it.

I found this cool map on the wall and when I got home was able to track down a copy and order it for a nice place on my wall.

Whittier is a neat little odd town that has a mile long tunnel that connects it to the rest of the world , one way in and one way out. This tunnel is also shared by a train so you better time it right. When it was time to leave they wouldn't let us down to our bikes until the last minute. That's great if you are in a car and all you have to do is turn a key but we all had to gear up, untie out bikes, and get ready so everyone is gone and we are getting the stink eye from the staff. The guy told us we were going to be late as the tunnel is only open for another 5 minutes then its a two hour wait. My lady snapped a bit and said “maybe if you let us down here earlier we would have made it.” We hauled ass out of there to the tunnel and barley made it. We saw a few others doing the same but got tickets by five O. Mind your speed here folks. Nice scenery by the tunnel entrance as well.

We were told we had to go last which was fine by me because the tunnel ride was all by myself basically and felt like I was James Bond going into the underground base.( I am easily entertained)

We popped out the other side to a beautiful lake and met the most amazing couple who had driven their Land Rover from South Africa to the top of Norway then had it shipped to Argentina and drove it from TDF and were almost to their destination of Deadhorse. Incredible people are everywhere, give her a blog a read if your interested

http://overlandsphere.com/overland-t...anamericalandy

The drive to Seward was gorgeous and we passed a few beautiful amazing campgrounds along some rivers. I suggested that we should just camp here for the night and have a relaxing day with some hikes. My lady said that everyone told her we “had to go to Seward” so off we went with some beautiful country along the way.

When we arrived it was a fishing town and I forgot my pole, we could care less about touristy crap, trinket shops, old timey pictures, or fudge. The campgrounds in town were nasty and there was no way we were staying there. We found a spot at Millers Landing down a dirt road just out of town which was ok but nothing great. We were both disappointed in Seward and told our selves we need to ask people “why” we must go someplace as we all have different taste. This is my opinion so if your from Seward or you loved it, great. Im just saying thats not my kind of thing is all so don't flame me. We came on this trip for being in nature and needed to avoid towns, next stop Nature. Seward wasn't all bad we found a goat and dog who were friends and my lady spilled all the noodles in the dirt. We just rinsed them off a few times, good as new.

Our entertainment for the evening was taking cheesy high school style senior photos. Not sure if everyones school did this but in you r senior year lots of people would get pictures and for some reason they were always in unnatural poses against logs or tree stumps. Anyhow here they are, did I mention we were easily entertained.

Ferry for Moto $75!!!
Ferry tickets for two of us $180!!!!!
Gas $22
Camping $26
Groceries $45

Total $ 348 Ouch
Old 11-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #42
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 1,887
Really enjoying the RR! Alaska looks amazing. I definitely want to do a riding tour of Alaska.

You might have said it earlier, but I may have missed it, why no Dalton?

Also, you look really familiar, you ever live in FL?

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #43
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Dalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Really enjoying the RR! Alaska looks amazing. I definitely want to do a riding tour of Alaska.

As you said, they are posting a really great ride report. Having never been to Dalton, I can only go by other people's reports....to me, and please don't flame me either, it doesn't seem worth the trip. Bad roads with a destination of an oil refinery. Some grand scenery I'm sure... I'm leaning toward the Dempster Hwy. Better roads, better destination, and still across the Arctic Circle, again just my opinion.
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #44
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek The Transporter and sunflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post

So to answer your questions I will start with the easier one, No I have never lived in Florida but many people say I look like The Transporter Jason Statham and in Asia they really think I look like him due to cross cultural identification issues. Anyhow here is a very long answer to a simple question.

Why no Dalton? I wrestled with this one for a while because thats what everybody else does who rides up there. I have also answered that question numerous times when people ask about my Alaska trip. I read the Texans go to Alaska ride report , a very good one by the way that helped me decide on the strom, give it a read

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668295

They only went as far as the arctic circle on the Dalton and had this to say " We hung around for a bit, and tried to eat some lunch at the picnic area. The mosquitoes were so bad here that if you stood still for a second they would engulf you. So we paced around and ate a sandwich, then turned back south."

So now back to my long round about answer. When I was in Europe several years ago traveling for the first time I bought one of those Rick Steves books which tells you all the things you are supposed to see and do. Well I was in Ireland and the book told me I had to see the Book of Kells

The book of Kells is the oldest book around or something. You have now seen it so you can skip it when your in Dublin. Anyway my point is that while I was standing in line to see it and saw it I thought , humm old book, I don't give a shit, Why am I here?

I am here because some dork who wrote a book told me to go here. Now if I was in to old books or religious artifacts it would make since to see it and perhaps I might even get excited about it. I on the other hand cared neither about those two things.

Still forgetting my Irish lesson in tourism a year or two later I was in Amsterdam and went to see paintings by Van Gough in particular the painting Sunflowers.

Now you have seen it and can skip it when in The Netherlands next time. So while going to a lot of trouble to see it I stared at it for a few seconds and thought humm old painting, I don't give a shit , hey why am I here? I am here because I thought I was supposed to see it so when everyone ask "You went to Amsterdam and didn't see sunflowers, OMG".

I don't care about paintings or Van Gough and for that matter if every work he ever made was two blocks away I wouldn't go see it in Portland but I am in Amsterdam and I felt compelled to see it because its something your supposed to do. I then signed up for a bike ride to check out buildings because I like bikes and architecture and no ever told me to do that.

Now the Dalton is no old ass book or water color painting its a challenge and has some beautiful passes like this one.

I didn't do it as I didn't really care about telling people I went to the Arctic Circle or to Deadhorse. I would have liked to see the cool passes and diverse landscape yes but not for all the hassle, expense and time. I am NOT saying the Dalton is stupid, a waste of time, or boring. I AM saying before you do something ask yourself is this something I like, I want to do, or am I doing it because I think I am supposed to. Again I am not knocking it , heck I went to the first atomic reactor in Idaho because I think that shit is cool but I am very sure that I am in the minority. You like what you like.

On the other hand the Dempster has a fishing village at the end and that would have been cool to see native people cutting up whales or something.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #45
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh June 12th Ahh Nature 52 miles Seward to Cooper Landing

Up and Atom and on the way out of town see a sign for Exit Glacier and make our way there. Turns out a way better campground was here and should have stayed there. Anyway this was worth the trip to Seward in the end.

We decided to skip Homer and try our hand at the Russian River Campground just down the road which was the same idea everyone else had, it was very popular and sold out. Luckily we found a National Forest spot just down the road that was awesome.

Great dinner since we had supplies from the big city and right on the river, I gave my best shot at a Tecate adventure advertisement. Nothing says adventure like a horse cock of Tecate!

This is just what we wanted and even had our own little mote and drawbridge to keep folks out. I loved this place, its just east of the Russian River Campground, tomorrow Anchorage. O the mosquitoes were coming out full force, we used a Thermacell device and that crap works a must have for the trip I believe. This is my lady as we wait for Thermacell to warm up

Cheap day
Camping $17
48 oz of premium imported beer $7.00
Groceries $10

Total $34