Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #46
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Thanks for the sticky guys!

From the wilddog thread:

It looks as if Gerrit Du Toit has decided to ride tar road to Sutherland, after holing his petrol tank

[IMG]http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?
action=dlattach;topic=136532.0;attach=311751;image[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito
Spoke to Kevin Thomson AKA bag lady No 136 he says he thinks his S/E ran a bearing, was picked up almost immediately in the middle of nowhere though by a support vehicle, right place right time, also said they battled a bit with navigation but that his son Dale had saved them with his Lunch Box Road Book, and they were laughing about it ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
I don't know who Speedmetal is, but he's had a difficult day with nav today. A biggish error coming out of Heidleberg saw him lose a lot of time down a dead-end track. His phone updates his tracks very, very seldom for some reason. At one stage it looked as if Alex would catch him.
Now he pops up, much further on that I thought he was, looking OK.

GO BOY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
Rider 119 Kevn Padoa hit rock, bike leaking oil. Recovery on their way to fetch him.
Rider 101 Gerrit Du Toit hit rock, bike leaking petrol but he will try to ride to end of stage.
Rider 143 Fred Smith on 1200GSA bogged down in sand in riverbed, rumoured to be moving again.

The Special is taking no prisoners...... except for 107 Peter How and 109 Marthinus Kruger, who are out of the special already.

(Sorry, posts are slowing down. I'm rather busy...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuareg
Quote:
.........also said they battled a bit with navigation but that his son Dale had saved them with his Lunch Box Road Book
This one?

Classic bloudraad stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungycool
I just find it awesome and amazing that we can be other side of the planet and in fairly real time( except when the signal black hole bites!) watch friends and family play. Ultimate rally voyeurism!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #47
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Okay, its started raining, there was hail and sleet in the pass coming up the mountain to Sutherland. Its very cold, guys out on the stage are going have a rough time.

Peter How #107 aka Bonova told me he was second to open the special stage behind Martinus Kruger #109. He said the liaison was very very long and tiring but the last bit was really really beautiful and fast. The first part of the special was really hard a lot of water to cross, quite deep in places, with lots of sand mixed with big rocks everywhere. He said having a small bike here was a huge advantage. He and Martinus had some trouble with the navigation and had to stop and check things a few times (I think that code for a little back track ;) ). He does not think he would have been the fastest. He said he was able to pass Martinus 10km from the end when he put his bike down at a point. The last 10-15 km of the special was very fast and "lekker" and he apparently hit 120-130km/hr in those bits.

Still very much on a high but he said he was tired. His YZ suspension worked really well and his bike was smooth and performed brilliantly. He said he would not change his oil and filters until tomorrow.

When he spoke to me he said there were 10-15 bikes that had arrived in Sutherland.

Goooo bonova!!! :hello2:

Dawn breaks over the bivouac. You can see the 1200 GSA on the right.

#109 Martinus Kruger killing it on his 690

Peter How (bonova) on his BMW 450 and Andrew Johnson (Kamanya) on his converted KTM 950 fuel bowser

Jan Niederhumer (N[]va on his DRZ 400 and Chris Kruger (speedmetal) on his 690

Jacques Kreef on this 650 Xchallenge and Dale Thompson on a 950

Juan Ballester gunning away

Charl Steyn on a 690 Oryx

And last but not least, the ill-fated sweep vehicles
Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #48
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Alexander Nel FB:

Chris Opperman crossing the river at Malgas. Broke a chain link but managed to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal
got up early to go gooi n thumbs up for the guys at the beginning of the higlands road this morning. Some sweet bikes this year, not sure they are still looking that way by now.

Huge respect for what they are going through.

Forgot to take photos, was too interested in enjoying the moment.

Be safe guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBull2007
Just spoke to Fanie Nel #108(Darksider), he got in about half an hour ago. He sounds really, really tired...and worried about his friend #Chris Kruger #114 (speedmetal). He never saw him all day, starting in front. He was hoping Chris would catch up with him but that never happened.

He was riding in a group in the special with Andrew Johnson #106 (Kamanya) and Mark Schnaar-Campbell#104 (markdiver) with two others and missed a turnoff out of the riverbed. They bashed on for sometime trying to find the way on and lost about an hour and a half before getting back onto the correct route.

It seems that the rain increased and there is a unconfirmed rumor in the bivouac that some guys were caught in a flash flood. :eek: {edit: Good to hear speedmetal has shown up, lets hope all is okay. They guys on the ground were worried because the family lost his tracking for sometime}
Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #49
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRICK
Kamanya's "fuel bowser" creates a stirring in my loins....... ::) ;) :biggrin: Imagine the confidence to start the rally with half full tanks :
Quote:
Kevin Thomson's Face Book , recovered bike, blown tyre, second puncture , used the spare...

Rider and inmate Andrew Johnson signs in an updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanya
The river bed was fun.... Till we found out the hard way that it dead ended. I got stuck twice really badly and picked my bike up about 20 times.

It was soft river sand with baby head rocks all over.

Finally we found the right way out as you can see and from there it was fast, tricky, rocky and fun.

No issues, just had to fill up the rear brake reservoir.

Then like a chop at the refuel in Sutherland if forgot to put the sidestand out and slightly damaged the roadbook. Nothing some super glue won't fix.

It's grim at the moment, pissing with rain and cold as. 4 guys still on the stage. 2 others are very missing.

700 something or other for tomorrow.

Anyone know a masseuse in Sutherland?

its now 20:32 in South Africa, raining and cold and here is the status:

#115 Willem Weber is missing in action, last seen 3km into the special. Lets hope he is okay.

#123 Jacques Coetzer and
#128 Deon Augustyn got caught in a flash flood on the stage, they have sat phone, are okay and are making their way slowly out together.

#135 Dale Thompson and
#137 John Jordaan are also together. one of them has bike problems but they are also slowly making their way out of the special.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #50
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,762
From Amageza FB

Quote:
All of the riders have been accounted for. Two are still out there who took another route of their own but are now apparently being brought in by a farmer. Well done to all involved for getting everyone safely in! Provisional results coming soon.
Looking forward to more pics and results
Old 10-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #51
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
From Amageza FB

Looking forward to more pics and results
Im glad at least someone is reading all this!
Old 10-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #52
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
got my interest
Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #53
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

there is a few of us I guess, it has a real adventure spirit to it.
I am liking it so keep it coming, wildogs needs a translation feature hehe
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:26 PM   #54
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
The problem there is they speaking English and Afrikaans, and a bastard of a language that is something in the middle

We are here Neil.
Just watching quietly and wishing we were there
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #55
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Its to keep guys like Troy Carpente Safari in check!

Just ask me if you need some help in translation Or the peeps in WD's

onward with the program:

Some more photos, compliments of Wayne:

Hunting for lost riders

Night time repairs

Loading tomorrows road book

Midnight repairs

Local sports change rooms being used as a midnight workshop for riders. No support crews.

Some guys work, others watch, and some give advice. I reckon the guy on the right is too tired to do much more than watch

Make shift workshop with lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamanya
Quote:
I have been trying to reach Jan to find out what happened. Koos told me earlier one of the riders went too far somewhere and hit a fence, which hooked up his helmet and threw him off the bike. Apparently had he not been wearing a neck brace he would have snapped his neck. Koos said he was bruised and broken but okay. So when I saw the hole in the helmet I thought maybe it was Jan. Who knows, but whatever happened I'm sure we will find out. Sounds pretty epic to be honest.
I was behind the guy. It was the remains of a fence across the river. To high to catch you walking under it but nice height when on the pegs. He had bruising under his chin and a bit of blood. I cut the fence. He took one for the guys.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #56
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Preliminary Results from yesterday

The start has been delayed to 06h00 on account of the bad weather
The above results are PRELIMINARY and have not yet been signed off by the organisation (SteveD and Co Patch), though Im sure it will be pretty close.

23 out of 41 Starters yesterday finished the stage.

That's only 56% of the field on the first day, not counting the 4 riders who did not start yesterday!!

The 19 who did not finish have now played their "pink card". While they are allowed to start, they still have to finish today to be allowed to continue on the 3rd and final stage.

#135 Dale Thompson and 137 #Johan Jordaan arrived at the bivouac sometime between midnight and 4 a.m. this morning. They had to walk out, apparently abandoning their bikes!

Today the riders start out in reverse order, slowest guys first, in an attempt to give everyone the best chance on the stage. Its another monster stage:

Sutherland to Springbok, 379km of liaison to a 150 km special stage, followed by a 200 km final liaision, almost all on dirt. Total stage length: 729 km. Its going to be a monster!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #57
gagnaou
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Thanks for compiling all the info for us in this thread Bluebull, that looks like a fun rallye! Definitely seems to have the spirit of the first Dakars...

French vacation house for rent! Great riding area!

450 KTM exc
950 Adventure S
gagnaou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #58
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,762
This is now one of my favourites (thanks for the updates Neil - I am following thru FB as well )
True old Dakar spirit, level of difficulty is top notch.

I like a lot that this rally is full of everyday people who, despite not having top notch equipment, they prepared the bikes and went for the journey. That is the Rally spirit for me. Don't get me wrong, I like factory look bikes, clean, top equipment etc, but when I look some of these bikes and I see the true privateer spirit I cannot help it but thinking Dakar in the early stages....

And the long stages, make it count. This is a true long distance rally.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #59
Brink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Thanks for the updates Neil.

I hope you will be part of the organizing team when this rally becomes the 7 day+ event it deserves, with a host of international riders as well.

Make a plan to come to RSA guys - the beauty is awesome - the adventure is ever present - and the currency favors the spending of your dollars ($1 = ZAR10)
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #60
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Thanks for the updates Neil.

I hope you will be part of the organizing team when this rally becomes the 7 day+ event it deserves, with a host of international riders as well.

Make a plan to come to RSA guys - the beauty is awesome - the adventure is ever present - and the currency favors the spending of your dollars ($1 = ZAR10)
This