User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #76
tour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hi fellow rallye lovers.

I would like to give you some input into this truely south african navigational,long distance, multi day challange which i had the good fortune of being part of for the 3 rd time since the start. This is my view from the side of a competitor.

Since the first one day event where 25 of us had been given a rough roadbook strapped to our bikes any which way, it was clear that Camelman aka Alex had a vision of having a multiday rallye here in southern africa. There was none so Alex had a desire to do rallye and then took it apon himself to just start it. This was his dream and so far he is achieving it against all the neigh sayers and authorities that gave him and his team stick.

The first one was a learning curve and a huge experiment. Within the first hour there was a huge crash. It was sorted and the competitor was in am ambulance very quickly. Thus had already shone all of us how well Alex had planned for the worst. Very professional. The riding was great. Not too hard, not too long and everybody was very happy. He had also asked for feedback for the following year. We wanted longer, harder and more days.

Year 2.
We had now a two day event. What to expect? Already we had 76 competitors and a rallye that was held in Sutherland, 3 hrs from cape town. We had competitors from all over the country aswell as international bluebull 2007. Also dakar man and local legend Darrel Curtis thrown in for good measure with a monster energy and ktm cape town sponsorship.
Now we were getting started. Longer days, more tecnical riding and the most amazing views to be experienced though private farmlands and real technical enduro type riding. Most did it with DS bikes but also a huge mix of rallye bikes in the mix. It had jumped ahead a few more steps and in the right direction. Again alot of really happy competitors, lots of learning and great experiences was had by all including organisers and competitors.

Now for 2013. Year 3!!!

After alot of uphill and almost cancellation. I am not able to comment too much as to why....
Alex and his incredible team had pulled a rabbit out of the provirbial hat and saved the Amageza Safari.

We were in for the real deal now even though we were not aware of it just yet. 46 competitors from all over south africa as well as a regular rallye raider from over the pond some where. Kobus Potgieter if i am not mistaken.

This year no sponsors that i am aware of. This was a male moto style event. We were told to be prepared for 10 - 14 hrs a day. Huge mileage over hardcore terrain and in very remote areas with no back up teams but the organisers did have topnotch medics in the form of EMO.
Riders briefing and we were given a real wake up call to what lay ahead. They gave us the feedback from Darrel Curtis and Riaan van Niekerk that had prerun the event a month before. To say that we were nervous was an under statement. That nite there wasn t many that could sleep. Up at 4 am and off at 05:30 am.

Now .my mind has got too much info about the route but i ll try and compress it here. After a long liaison of about 450 + km we arrived at Ss1. A riverbed of more than 30 kms and then rough jeep tracks to navigate. Some places were not passible with a normal 4x4. I ride a 950 SE and love sand. After the first 100 meters my bike sank away and i needed to get unstuck. Now when this happens so early on in a special doubt creeps in really fast. My mind started to play up. But had to continue cause giving up just was not an obtion. A short while later my riding buddy on a 950 adv hard a huge crash and srated loosing fuel. Mind starting to really get the better of me now. Due to the damage he pulled out of that SS and i continued. What followed was a real test of my mind,my bike and my skill. The feelings of doubt and uncertainty. The what if s the fear. It was an emotional ride aswell as a physical one. Luckily i had overcome the fear and pressed on.
Along the way it was like a batflefield. Man and machine broken and triumphant. Wrong turns and then find your way again. Wow thinking about it now is another amazing experience.

After a few hours i had made it through. Only to find an oil leak coming from my beloved ktm.
That was fixed with help from competitors. A few hoseclamps some oil and off we were. Only another 110 kms left of liaisons. Wtf will this day not end. Tired and hurt and on the last leg to Sutherland. It starts raining... freezing cold and speed limits... but to the end you must.
Arriving just before dark with a storm apon us. Stories of carnage and friends still missing. No more warm water for showers with tents being blown away. No food anx spidits low.

Hours later my mates are in and i can relax. But stiil there a peeps out there. We organise dinner have a meeting get given a roadbook and what to expect. Tomorrow is 750kms long but slightly easier. Almost half had not made the first day...

The rest to continue ....
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #77
Crazydog
aka Andy660

Oddometer: 20
Amageza 2013

Well done Tour , you are a real leader and a good example of how it can be done !
Keep it coming.
Well done Peter How , the overall winner of the Amageza 2013 on his BMW 450

Peter How

Crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #78
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydog View Post
Well done Tour , you are a real leader and a good example of how it can be done !
Keep it coming.
Well done Peter How , the overall winner of the Amageza 2013 on his BMW 450

Peter How

NICE!
Old 10-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #79
Muecke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minora View Post
Muecke

His name is Peter Haw - "Bonova" on the Wild Dog Forum

Here is a thread of his bike build - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...topic=105629.0
Thank you for the link. :) Nice information.
Does anyone know where to buy the fixing metall which holds the navigation-tower of this G450X? I mean this type of clamp.
Muecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #80
Muecke
Adventurer

Can anyone read the sticker company? Who is producting these parts?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #81
Bonova
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minora View Post
Muecke

His name is Peter Haw - "Bonova" on the Wild Dog Forum

Here is a thread of his bike build - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/inde...topic=105629.0
Just saw this thread now! I just got back from a 10 hour drive to the eastern cape and still have to drive back to Natal to prep for the Roof....eish....tired!!!
Yip that's me.... Rider 107 on my 450.
The tower and fairing as well as the low mudguard were made - custom, for my bike by an awesome company called TR-TEC iin KZN, South Africa. Clayton (the dude) and his dad are frikkin amazing at this stuff and we have become good friends with this project. Their work is probably the best quality out there and attention to detail is incredible!
I'll get together some better pics of the way it's all mounted once I've cleaned my poor bike!
I was under strict instruction to NOT BREAK the fairing as its the prototype...hahaha there you go Clayton....still in one piece!

Oh, and the Amageza was insanely awesome!!! Words fail me right now....
Peter
Bonova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #82
Muecke
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonova View Post
Just saw this thread now! I just got back from a 10 hour drive to the eastern cape and still have to drive back to Natal to prep for the Roof....eish....tired!!!
The tower and fairing as well as the low mudguard were made - custom, for my bike by an awesome company called TR-TEC iin KZN, South Africa. Clayton (the dude) and his dad are frikkin amazing at this stuff and we have become good friends with this project. Their work is probably the best quality out there and attention to detail is incredible!
I'll get together some better pics of the way it's all mounted once I've cleaned my poor bike!
I was under strict instruction to NOT BREAK the fairing as its the prototype...hahaha there you go Clayton....still in one piece!

Peter
Hi Bonova, thanks for your answer. :) It would be nice to see more fotos.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #83
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonova View Post

Peter
And to win certianly ups both their cred and yours of course! Good riding! I was just contemplating rallying my G450X, so your win is a winner in more ways than one!
No complaints about the safari front tank? Its a 12L? 15?

Did you end up bringing another cooling fan with you?
Did you grease the pivots everyday?
Old 10-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #84
Bonova
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
And to win certianly ups both their cred and yours of course! Good riding! I was just contemplating rallying my G450X, so your win is a winner in more ways than one!
No complaints about the safari front tank? Its a 12L? 15?

Did you end up bringing another cooling fan with you?
Did you grease the pivots everyday?
12 l safari tank....worked very well indeed. When it's very hot, sometimes the pressure in the rear tank builds up a bit and you end up with half a tank in the rear and there is still fuel in the front tank that should have drained before the level in the rear tank drops (my system has the front tank entering the rear via the original overflow pipe of the rear tank if that makes sense? this could easily be rectified with a direct system, but i didnt want to change the bike that much) But it was not an issue on this rallye. You just got to remember to always check the rear tank and not just assume it's full.

In terms of the swing arm pivot...I greased it well before the start and not again. I didn't take a spare fan with.... He fan did run quite a bit but the speeds were generally high and so it wasn't an issue. I'll consider it now tho tha you asked hahahaha.

Only thing I did was daily oil change and I tightened the chain on the 1st evening..... Also just checked all the obvious bolts and bearings.

I'll try get some pics up....but I'm in the middle of nowhere at the moment with just my iPad....
Bonova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #85
Crazydog
aka Andy660

Oddometer: 20
Amageza

The Sun was having an adverse effect on some of the marshals

Crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #86
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Some pictures

I'm just going to copy and paste from the WildDogs thread

Scrutineering
Quote:
[quote author=SteveD link=topic=136532.msg2626496#msg2626496 date=1382186561]
Some photos from scrutineering, the calm after the storm :thumleft:

[/QUOTE]
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #87
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Briefing and prep

A "sweaty pits" calm before the shit storm!!

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2626826#msg2626826 date=1382219262]
Each rider has a trunk to live out of every day. His life's possessions and spares are stored in this. This trunk is moved by the organization to the next bivouac.
Nice looking bikes...hope they stay that way but somehow I doubt it!

Group photo

Rider briefing

Marking up road book - no cheating! > :biggrin:

Thinking about the afkak to come maybe? ;D

Cheese and wine again

Boys are serious - no beer to be seen!

[/quote]

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2626833#msg2626833 date=1382224662]
Jan Niederhumer, N[]va from FB

Passed scrutineering and Race number 113 on the bike!

Bike looking good, Jan! :thumleft:
[/quote]
Old 10-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #88
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Day 1

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2627349#msg2627349 date=1382279868]
Pics from earlier today:
Support crew having brekkie

Tension!

Jan (N[]va) talking to someone before the start

n[]va and Kamanya at the start (I previously said Jan was 114 he is actually 113, sorry!

Gerrit du Toit and Rudi Neetling at the start of liaison

Hendrik vd Walt and Mark Schnaar-Campbell (markdiver)

Joey Evans flicking his bike at the start

[/quote]

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2627363#msg2627363 date=1382280813]
[quote author=SteveD link=topic=136532.msg2627348#msg2627348 date=1382279832]
#143, the guy on the R1200GSA, is having an eventful day. He made it back to the tar road, but his brakes then locked solid. He unlocked them somehow, and is now limping towards Sutherland. His brakes are giving him trouble every 15km or so, but he says he's OK and he'll make it.
He may have brought a Boerbull to a dog race, but he deserves credit for having balls, and for battling along.
Respect, friend that I have never met. :
[/quote]
Huge respect for Fred Smith, a true hero of the rally on his 1200!! Gooo FRED!!! :hello2:
Onward with the pic fest and please join me in wishing a very special THANK YOU to Nic Ortjen for these! :thumright:
Dawn breaks over the bivouac. You can see the 1200 GSA on the right.

#109 Martinus Kruger killing it on his 690

Peter How (bonova) on his BMW 450 and Andrew Johnson (Kamanya) on his converted KTM 950 fuel bowser >

Jan Niederhumer (N[]va on his DRZ 400 and Chris Kruger (speedmetal) on his 690

Jacques Kreef on this 650 Xchallenge and Dale Thompson on a 950

And theyre off!

Juan Ballester gunning away

Charl Steyn on a 690 Oryx

And last but not least, the ill-fated sweep vehicles.

[/quote]

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2629834#msg2629834 date=1382388905]
Meanwhile, some more photees from Stage 1 are trickling through despite narrow bandwidth... : : :

(You saw it first here) :

need some help here: who are these guys? I cant read the numbers...

Hennie Smit on some off-piste riding, showing the Limpopo boys how its done!

Darksider....I' m in love with his bike.... :love7: ... ...... I said his bike! :imaposer:
[img width=800 height=533]http://bluebull2007.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Amageza2013/i-89LH59n/0/XL/IMG_3066%20B-XL.jpg[/img]

Koos Van der Heever!!

Andrew, I think the camera people like his helmet or maybe its him ;)

[/quote]

Aquatic screwed with this post 10-27-2013 at 06:13 PM
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #89
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2629521#msg2629521 date=1382377297]
Wayne sent in some pics near Green River today! :

I cant make out the numbers dagnabit!!
[/quote]

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2629703#msg2629703 date=1382383853]
More from today:
Kamanya in his fuel bowser (If you can, always make sure your in front of this man ;) )

Martinus Kruger giving it stick

Now that's a powerslide for the camera!!! :

Hennie Smit

Claude Deyzel

WOOHOOO

And Thomas Eich!

[/quote]

[quote author=BlueBull2007 link=topic=136532.msg2629692#msg2629692 date=1382383556]
[quote author=bungycool link=topic=136532.msg2629587#msg2629587 date=1382379691]
Scuse the ignorance Neil but what's a type A personality?
Lol. http://bit.ly/1a08U44
[/quote]
Probably why I fit in here ;)
Some AWESOME photos coming from Wayne and his crew now (LET ME know if you cant see them):
Is that frame they're bending there? :

Fixed
[/quote]
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #90
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer