ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
atkinsr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
1190 Adventure - Who has the most miles.. is it durable and reliable?

I'm not trolling, I swear! This is a serious question... a little bit of explanation and background is in order.

I do a LOT of LD riding. I put nearly 30,000 miles on my 2012 R1200GS. I'm an active member of the Iron Butt Association. I compete in multi-day multi-thousand mile rallies such as the Butt Lite, My last "quick getaway" was a 3500 mile 3 day ride. I hope to earn/win a spot in the 2015 Iron Butt Rally. Some of these rallies are 6-12 months in the planning stages, with the better part of a year's vacation (including travel to/from the events, rest afterwards, etc) and several thousand dollars invested.

These events are mainly filled with K1600GTLs, R1200RTs, R1200GSs, Goldwings, FJR1300s, ST1300s, etc.

Up until a couple of years ago, I did a lot of dirt bike riding, and once I got serious about it, I owned KTMs. Overall, the best dirt bikes I've ever owned.

This is the part I don't want taken as trolling:
It's fairly well accepted in the dirt community (trail, enduro, possibly hare scrambles) that KTM is where it's at (tip of the hat to Husky, Huseburg, and some of the more exotics here), but it's also excepted that you give up some longevity. Replacing a KTM dirt bike is something most of us did every 2-4 years. Hondas were handed down to kids, yamaha was hit or miss.

My concern (if not obvious) is: Does this transfer to the street as well? I *just* sold my K1600GTL, and was seriously eyeballing the new R1200GSW when the 1190 Adventure caught my attention. I hate that it doesn't have cruise control... it's nearly a deal breaker, but it's cheaper, extremely capable, etc. It REALLY has my attention... but I need something that is completely bomb proof and unquestionably reliable.

To most, something simple like a leaking countershaft seal is an annoyance and inconvenience. For me, if it happens, All of my vacation, the rally (possibly 5+ 18 hour, 1000+ mile days), a year's worth of disposable income, and a lifelong dream (If I make it into the 2015 IBR) all go in the can, with the potential for a 2000 mile uhaul truck ride home... not something I want to sign up for.

I'm looking to hear from people that have put huge miles on their 1190s, ideally 70,000 miles or more.. that's 2 years riding for me. I'm guessing this will mostly come from our European friends as the bike is so new here.

Who has racked up serious miles on this bike and what issue did you have?

Serious miles or not, if you've had issues, no matter how small, I want to hear about them and how long they took to resolve. Also any unexpected high wear items and how long do normal wear items like chains, sprockets, and brake pads last?

I'm trying to talk myself into this bike (I think), not out of it, but need to ensure it fits my mission profile well.

As an aside, when will these things become *widely* available? The closest one to me is around 300 miles away... I can't even sit on one without a long trip. Not sure how KTM expects me to give them money when there's no product to purchase. Hope this changes soon and that they are allowing demo rides (?).

Thanks for bearing with me through this brain dump and any feedback you can provide.
R

atkinsr screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 10:02 AM
atkinsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
The people that have 1190's have only had them for 8 months, I doubt you will find any who has more than 8,000 miles at this point
It's a brand new bike for Ktm and in my opinion it's a terrible choice for a ride like the iron butt, because it's so new

Just my .02 though

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
got int in march, more than 13.000 miles now. the more I use it the better it gets.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsr View Post
I'm not trolling, I swear!

It's fairly well accepted in the dirt community (trail, enduro, possibly hare scrambles) that KTM is where it's at (tip of the hat to Husky, Huseburg, and some of the more exotics here), but it's also excepted that you give up some longevity. Replacing a KTM dirt bike is something most of us did every 2-4 years. Hondas were handed down to kids, yamaha was hit or miss.

R
This is simply not true!

In SETRA it is well known that you can race KTMs many more seasons than the Japanese bikes.

Sure the Japanese play bikes last forever putting around the backyard - but not the bikes being raced in the woods on Saturday.
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,154
Maybe this will help.
Looking for more updates from Joe when possible

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841341
Old 10-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,446
Did you ever see the movie Braveheart? Remember the part where Robert the Bruce betrays William Wallace and the Bruce confront his father angrily? His father says something like "you let yourself be deceived, for in the end you knew it must happen this way." Or something to that effect.

That's what I think you're doing to yourself here I think. With everything you're risking, I think you'd be crazy to risk it on a relatively unproven bike. Unless you're hoping for unnecessary drama,

Just my 'pinion.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php

KMC1 screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 04:22 PM
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

You can take our lives , but you can't take our KTMs....

Loved that movie (spelling, it's braveheart)
Old 10-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
FREEDOOOOOOOOM:-0. "If I fight for you, will I get to kill the English"? Eye, you'll get to kill the English". "EXCELLENT! My name is Stephen". Love that show! Wallace would have ridden an Orange bike:-)
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Bob_Wilson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Still off topic: Braveheart the movie was total fiction except - there was a William Wallace and yes he was executed for treason (quite reasonably) the rest is just made up for a movie. Good movie though.
Bob_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Wilson View Post
Still off topic: Braveheart the movie was total fiction except - there was a William Wallace and yes he was executed for treason (quite reasonably) the rest is just made up for a movie. Good movie though.
Says a bitter English man.

You'll never have our ktms!!!!

Just kiddin' ...(but I did like that movie. And the music is great too!)
Old 10-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Paul View Post
The people that have 1190's have only had them for 8 months, I doubt you will find any who has more than 8,000 miles at this point
It's a brand new bike for Ktm and in my opinion it's a terrible choice for a ride like the iron butt, because it's so new

Just my .02 though
The 1190 engine has been in production in the RC8 since 2008. Sure to be some with a few K's on them by now.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
The 1190 engine has been in production in the RC8 since 2008. Sure to be some with a few K's on them by now.
I don't think JustPaul is referring to only the engine. Yes the engine is a proven platform but there are many other elements that need seat time to be proven as reliable bike.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Says a bitter English man.

You'll never have our ktms!!!!

Just kiddin' ...(but I did like that movie. And the music is great too!)

xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
I ran across this Motorrad 50, 000 km long-term report while researching the slight differences between the 1190 and Ducati Multistrada. http://www.ducati.com/cms-web/upl/do...torrad_eng.pdf

The MS does quite well but it was also interesting to go through the table on the last page ranking all the other bikes Motorrad has put through the ordeal. You can ignore the overall ranking if you place your priorities on different criterion than they do. They give points for different criteria and you can see how some have done better than others.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsr View Post
I'm not trolling, I swear! This is a serious question... a little bit of explanation and background is in order.

I do a LOT of LD riding. I put nearly 30,000 miles on my 2012 R1200GS. I'm an active member of the Iron Butt Association. I compete in multi-day multi-thousand mile rallies such as the Butt Lite, My last "quick getaway" was a 3500 mile 3 day ride. I hope to earn/win a spot in the 2015 Iron Butt Rally. Some of these rallies are 6-12 months in the planning stages, with the better part of a year's vacation (including travel to/from the events, rest afterwards, etc) and several thousand dollars invested.

These events are mainly filled with K1600GTLs, R1200RTs, R1200GSs, Goldwings, FJR1300s, ST1300s, etc.

Up until a couple of years ago, I did a lot of dirt bike riding, and once I got serious about it, I owned KTMs. Overall, the best dirt bikes I've ever owned.

This is the part I don't want taken as trolling:

My concern (if not obvious) is: Does this transfer to the street as well? I *just* sold my K1600GTL, and was seriously eyeballing the new R1200GSW when the 1190 Adventure caught my attention. I hate that it doesn't have cruise control... it's nearly a deal breaker, but it's cheaper, extremely capable, etc. It REALLY has my attention... but I need something that is completely bomb proof and unquestionably reliable.

To most, something simple like a leaking countershaft seal is an annoyance and inconvenience. For me, if it happens, All of my vacation, the rally (possibly 5+ 18 hour, 1000+ mile days), a year's worth of disposable income, and a lifelong dream (If I make it into the 2015 IBR) all go in the can, with the potential for a 2000 mile uhaul truck ride home... not something I want to sign up for.

I'm looking to hear from people that have put huge miles on their 1190s, ideally 70,000 miles or more.. that's 2 years riding for me. I'm guessing this will mostly come from our European friends as the bike is so new here.

Who has racked up serious miles on this bike and what issue did you have?

Serious miles or not, if you've had issues, no matter how small, I want to hear about them and how long they took to resolve. Also any unexpected high wear items and how long do normal wear items like chains, sprockets, and brake pads last?

I'm trying to talk myself into this bike (I think), not out of it, but need to ensure it fits my mission profile well.

As an aside, when will these things become *widely* available? The closest one to me is around 300 miles away... I can't even sit on one without a long trip. Not sure how KTM expects me to give them money when there's no product to purchase. Hope this changes soon and that they are allowing demo rides (?).

Thanks for bearing with me through this brain dump and any feedback you can provide.
R
I think you'll find it hard to find one with 70.000 miles on the clock yet since they only came out this year...
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote