ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Wilson View Post
Still off topic: Braveheart the movie was total fiction except - there was a William Wallace and yes he was executed for treason (quite reasonably) the rest is just made up for a movie. Good movie though.
And there's the English version...
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #17
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Wilson View Post
Still off topic: Braveheart the movie was total fiction except - there was a William Wallace and yes he was executed for treason (quite reasonably) the rest is just made up for a movie. Good movie though.
It wasn't total fiction. My ancestors getting drummed out of The Highlands to make room for grazing sheep can attest to that. My family has a stone marker at Culloden where our clan was decimated. I took a trip there in 2004 to stand on that hallowed ground. To this day, we are still not recognized as a clan as an after effect of that slaughter, and have yet to have our petition for clan-hood recognized by The Court of Lord of Lyons.

When I watch that movie it stirs some very primal emotions, I have to admit.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #18
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
You can take our lives , but you can't take our KTMs....

Loved that movie (spelling, it's braveheart)
Good catch!

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
ThisWayHome
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Why not buy the 2013 Multistrada instead of the 1190 if you plan to ride 90% road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
I ran across this Motorrad 50, 000 km long-term report while researching the slight differences between the 1190 and Ducati Multistrada. http://www.ducati.com/cms-web/upl/do...torrad_eng.pdf

The MS does quite well but it was also interesting to go through the table on the last page ranking all the other bikes Motorrad has put through the ordeal. You can ignore the overall ranking if you place your priorities on different criterion than they do. They give points for different criteria and you can see how some have done better than others.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
ThisWayHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
atkinsr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisWayHome View Post
Why not buy the 2013 Multistrada instead of the 1190 if you plan to ride 90% road?
Because I don't want one.
atkinsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #21
Anand7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
So, did you go for it?

Did you have your reliability questions answered? I suspect that since this discussion turned into the English vs the Scots as interpreted by an Aussie in the USA, you found your info elsewhere.
Anand7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #22
trinitydirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I met a guy named Fernando in Moab last week. He is from Spain and is completing his around the world ride. Him and his wife left 11 months ago on their 2013 1190R and have had only one issue in 32,000 miles; a broken center stand.
trinitydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #23
Black Hills
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
only 1800mi. on mine so far and no issues at all.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #24
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,465
Bluhduh Its to dam good

2795 miles and the speedometer is off!

Oh and the oil cap fell off when I did not properly tighten it!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #25
Dearnla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I just did 1000 miles this weekend from England to Assen to watch the World Superbikes round there.
My ears are still ringing, my backside is still tender, but nothing fell off or went wrong.....
Dearnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,757
Only 2000 miles on my bike since i picked it up in Februrary but it's been perfect

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #27
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearnla View Post
I just did 1000 miles this weekend from England to Assen to watch the World Superbikes round there.
My ears are still ringing, my backside is still tender, but nothing fell off or went wrong.....
Was it as wet as it looked on the broadcast?
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #28
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
I've got one (1190 Std) and love it; its the most versatile bike I've owned, but I would never even consider running it for Iron Butt type of rides. Reliability aside it just isn't that kind of bike in terms of weather protection, comfort, fuel range, luggage capacity etc. Like trying to stick a square peg in a round hole. My 2c.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #29
Suddenstop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I beg to differ on the comfort and wind protection. All easily adjustable with aftermarket and the types of things riders going long haul will tune to their liking.

As to the original question - while I think the bike will be reliable, I also think it's too new to know for certain the kind of bulletproof reliability you desire.
Suddenstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #30
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenstop View Post
As to the original question - while I think the bike will be reliable, I also think it's too new to know for certain the kind of bulletproof reliability you desire.
There is a reason the bike has had a number of recalls already. And most recently, an extension on the warranty. I'd say, new bike, new issues.

I love my two KTMs, but don't consider them long-distance reliable. The 950 SE is already on it's third fuel pump, and my buddies have all re-built their water pumps. Voltage regulators are also an issue.

On the RC8, the shift mechanism had to be recalled, and the water pump seal has been replaced twice. Leaking anti-freeze down onto the under-bike exhaust made some pretty good smoke and smell. Wouldn't want that happening 1,000 miles from home.

Iron Butt rally? Goldwing or Honda sport-tourer.