Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #46
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq View Post
Great report, thanks for sharing. Dig the bike!
Thanks!
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #47
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

I rode yesterday and into the night to Phoenix camped at Marriott, rode deep into the desert this morning.

Then got back to town, stopped and chatted at the office and hung out at an apartment complex i used to live at. Sat by the old pool in full KLIM gear questioning my sanity for leaving over a "career move" but it's all good too in FL!

Two days to make it from here in Phoenix to the Roll the Bones Rally in the middle of TX!
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 10-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #48
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,904
steve.....

looks like you're on your way east.....

great meeting you...lots of fun. hope to see you again.

NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 AM   #49
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the pic!

Rode the klr 912 miles stopping only for gas and good from mesa as to abiline tx yesterday and last night. Only a couple hours away from the TX off roading meet point for the weekend.

Took a detour and went the long way in nm because a friend said I just have to go here. Great times!

'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #50
Team Vegas

Oddometer: 234
Great meeting and riding with you at goldpoint

He's called Super Chris in our circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Chris fixed a flat in the desert tundra faster than I see tires changed in shops

Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #51
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
Still reading your ride report Steve, bummed I couldn't make it out to Gold Point due to work. Looked like you a great experience out there in DV and continue to have one on your way back east!

Just awesome you rode from coast to coast. Also, how was that place in New Mexico? Looked like it was worth the detour.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:26 PM   #52
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Hey Steve you make it back to sunny and flat Florida yet???
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #53
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZcruzer View Post
Hey Steve you make it back to sunny and flat Florida yet???
Yes sir!

I owe some ride report-

So I get near the ADV forum sanctioned "Roll the Bones" Rally in TX. Things start getting "ranch-ish" TX style everywhere

I get to the rally. GEEZ I was too busy conversing and riding to take pics. Although not nearly as extreme as Death Valley, the riding was GREAT. My bike got this color

Unfortunately the depth of mud was deceiving and this guy got in this deep with a new Yamaha Tenere, flipped him over the front and the front parts of the bike were destroyed

This temp front-end fix got him back to camp

Over 150 folks registered at this event, but I suspect there were more ADV bikes.

D*mn the folks to me to some fine eating establishments. Nothing smoked in oak or palm tree such as FL bbq.

Every year of this rally they said it has been customary to burn a recliner. This year we did two of 'em

This guy beat my mileage coming to to the rally, he was over 8,000 to get there. He came from PA.....via Canada! I invited him to a COG event when he reaches FL. I'll have to square up with Al.

His bike was loaded too.

My KLR played many street and dirt bike roles during the trip. Also served as an emergency mirror. Braun makes the BEST tiny travel razor.

Let's do this shave right

So I leave the rally with unforgettable memories. I ride my colleague Chris's house outside of Dallas. Whenever I go there I take his son toy, I want him to remember the crazy guy that shows up on a motorcycle always has a toy on it for him (same way I do my nephews and baby grandson). There is a motorcycle and man in this Target bag.

After a GREAT visit with he and his family, 1st home cooked meal in forever and slept in a real bed, I was off to Louisiana. An LA friend strongly suggested while in Lake Charles eat cajun at Steamboat Bill's. Wow indeed I suggest do that!

I had gumbo then these deleesh fried crawdad tails

I had clean clothes but decided to "get ahead" on laundry.

Got a room that night and remembered I needed to dry my tent. Instead of a king bed I got a room with 2 queens and dried it.

Fast forward to FL and the bike took the scenic HWY across the panhandle. It got late leaving Panama City Beach but I wasn't done riding. Bye bye beach.

I'm on my way to Tampa and my dear friend thats been a huge long distance/sport-touring "influence" says he and his lovely wife will be in Carabella. OK I detour to Carrabella Beach. I checked into the hotel they were coming to a day ahead of them. Yet again it was a b*tch unloading all the camping gear into the hotel. But the room was rustic and epic, I really enjoyed the stay.

Gear on the old footlocker in room, I guess its how they used to pack for camping

They had interesting books all over the room, wasn't sure if i was supposed to read them or if they were decoration.

Then I saw a pic on the shelf looked sorta' like SteveJ....wth

OK enough of the room, after exhausting myself unloading all that camping stuff I got hungry. "Upstate" FL they smoke with real hickory wood.

Had a great time with SteveJ and Marge. Then we said our good-byes at the breakfast place

Now this was no ordinary breakfast place. Full of antiques and old guns/pics/knives/etc

Upon a closer look, what was this boy reaching for?

Perhaps my plate because i ordered with a "double-order" of pancakes. No Atkins for me while vacationing! I'll lose weight with Atkins after vacation, and in no time

Now in Tampa-

OFF THE BUCKET LIST - ride a 1 cylinder bike across the country and back. The Kawasaki was amazing 7648 miles on highways, desert sand, rock climbing/rock beds, gravel roads, and water crossings. Needed no ADV "support vehicle", repairs or special maintenance, only tires and oil changes on the fly. The spare fuel i took deep into death valley was very much appreciated by a rider on a GS with a smaller tank. I didn't do as well and fell a few times. Only thing i couldn't figure out how to get this bike to do is sail, but i tried! Home in Tampa, what a long strange epic trip

Here is when I tried to sail it

And here are a few the marks/rips as a result of Death Valley get-offs in the rocks

'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 11-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #54
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
Yes sir!

OFF THE BUCKET LIST - ride a 1 cylinder bike across the country and back. The Kawasaki was amazing 7648 miles on highways, desert sand, rock climbing/rock beds, gravel roads, and water crossings. Needed no ADV "support vehicle", repairs or special maintenance, only tires and oil changes on the fly. The spare fuel i took deep into death valley was very much appreciated by a rider on a GS with a smaller tank. I didn't do as well and fell a few times. Only thing i couldn't figure out how to get this bike to do is sail, but i tried! Home in Tampa, what a long strange epic trip

And here are a few the marks/rips as a result of Death Valley get-offs in the rocks
Nothing like having fuel imported directly from Fla to make up for my small tank issues.. Thanks again Steve.

I also have a few permanent reminders on my swingarm from Wyman Canyon.

Look me up next time out, you got a place to stay. And, believe it or not, we actually have some decent BBQ here.

Paul
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #55
FZcruzer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Glad to hear you made it home in one piece, when you find your way out here again give a shout out, be cool to ride with you again.
FZcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #56
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Shooby all the help you gave me i was proud to put a sip of fuel in that sweet GS!
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 11-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #57
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

FZ thanks, can't wait to ridewith you all again, matter of fact only prob i have with coming back out there is it won't be quite soon enough!
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #58
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 492
Steve, I didn't get to meet you out at Gold Point, but I've followed the Gold Point thread and your ride report. Cheers to you for crossing the country coast to coast on two wheels and tackling from what I understand were some fairly gnarly conditions at times in Death Valley as someone with not a lot of dirt experience.

Glad you made it home safe and thanks for putting the effort into this RR.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #59
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Steve, I didn't get to meet you out at Gold Point, but I've followed the Gold Point thread and your ride report. Cheers to you for crossing the country coast to coast on two wheels and tackling from what I understand were some fairly gnarly conditions at times in Death Valley as someone with not a lot of dirt experience.

Glad you made it home safe and thanks for putting the effort into this RR.
Thanks, wish you could've made it. My experience has been road track/streets/sport-touring until this trip. That was my very first time off road. Hope to ride with you soon anyway
'08 ZZR600 minty
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #60
steveWFL OP
Beastly Adventurer

Almost a sad day, this bike has been sold. My KLR never was one to ride in the back of a truck like this, but I hauled it away.

Why it was only "almost" a sad day is a good friend bought it

'08 ZZR600 minty