Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Taemur OP
Lucky-ish

Oddometer: 8
From Telluride to LA. Fingers crossed

Right brand new here but...

I'm on my way to LALA Land from small-town Colorado. I've already run into electrical troubles but hey just getting it out the way early right? Check out my sweet custom wiring job too!

I've left my plan open ended. I have no set route and have till Oct 16th to get to LA. So i'm super open to suggestions on routes i should take, roads that i absolutely must see or avoid, places to stay etc. I think I've come to the right place, right?

Taemur screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 05:25 PM Reason: Bad Link
Taemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Perkio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Wow!
What happened to your wiring?

I'm not really qualified to speak on where to ride, but the coast route down is nice for most. I'm partial to the empty deserts too.

Perk
Perkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,212
come out thru Moab, head north (parks are closed ) to I70 and then south again on 24 until you hit 12. 12 is a great ride westerly, all the way to Panguitch. You could then go north and over the hill to the 15, or south thru Zion (if the road thru is open).

some good roads that way!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Taemur OP
Lucky-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
come out thru Moab, head north (parks are closed ) to I70 and then south again on 24 until you hit 12. 12 is a great ride westerly, all the way to Panguitch. You could then go north and over the hill to the 15, or south thru Zion (if the road thru is open).

I was actually thinking of taking 95 over to the anasazi state park tomorrow. I'm in Moab Right Now! You think 24 to 12 is better? I kind of like the idea of dodging blanding as i got a ticket there in a car on another road trip last year.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Taemur OP
Lucky-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkio View Post
Wow!
What happened to your wiring?

I'm not really qualified to speak on where to ride, but the coast route down is nice for most. I'm partial to the empty deserts too.

Perk
One of my plugins burned. Guess its pretty common with these old SRAD gixxers. So i redid the wiring with materials from a hardware store here in Moab.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
JayElDee
not saying what I mean

Oddometer: 599
Quote:

or if closed head up 89 to 14. Watch out for tar snakes on 14 coming down into Cedar City
The Thunderbird (Best Western) Motel and restaurant in Mt Carmel Junction is a decent value, btw.
JayElDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
or if closed head up 89 to 14. Watch out for tar snakes on 14 coming down into Cedar City
The Thunderbird (Best Western) Motel and restaurant in Mt Carmel Junction is a decent value, btw.
Utah has the worst tar snakes ever! coming down 12 into Torrey had me so paranoid last june, I couldn't enjoy the ride (almost).

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
Old 10-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
Taemur OP
Lucky-ish

OK So I Did HWY 12

And it was friggen amazeballs!

24 was not too shabby either!

So where to next. I could either just do a short trip to Vegas (kinda meh), or head down to lake havasu, or go through death valley.

Any ideas, suggestions?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Taemur OP
Lucky-ish

Also i noticed a little cupping in the wear on the left side of my rear tire. Should i be concerned or should i just get it changed when i get to LA? It hasn't gotten to the point where i can really feel it affect my handling but when i put my hand on the tire its very obvious.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,514
So you are where now?
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #11
Taemur OP
Lucky-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
So you are where now?
Hurricane Utah. Which looks like this:

Old 10-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Calling RedRockRider.

Tomorrow morning you should turn around and head back up the hill toward Virgin, and take the Kolob Res Rd for about 30 mins, and you will be wowed!

As you approach Vegas a loop through Valley of Fire will be worth your time. West of Vegas is a great 13 mi one way road at Red Rock Canyon.

Not sure where your heading to in L.A., but a turn west on 138(off of I15)will link you up to Hwy 2. This is pretty nice ride in our local mountains, and being a weekday, they'll be nobody up there.

Have a good ride, watch the LEO's south of Vegas all the way into L.A.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Glad you enjoyed 12 - great road!

if you got the time (after the good route right above this), try going out 95 to 266 to 168 into Big Pine. Or, if you want to see Death Valley (and you do), try getting to Pahrump, coming into DV on 372 then 178 to 127 north to 190 and into the park. (if its open) Run up to Dante's View and enjoy the view). Then thru Furnace Creek, up to Scotty's Castle and easterly out of DV. you can then head back to Beatty and back on to 95 and follow on to 266/168.

Enjoy! (and you have to do Hwy 2 north of LA).

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
Old 10-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed 12 - great road!

if you got the time (after the good route right above this), try going out 95 to 266 to 168 into Big Pine. Or, if you want to see Death Valley (and you do), try getting to Pahrump, coming into DV on 372 then 178 to 127 north to 190 and into the park. (if its open) Run up to Dante's View and enjoy the view). Then thru Furnace Creek, up to Scotty's Castle and easterly out of DV. you can then head back to Beatty and back on to 95 and follow on to 266/168.

Enjoy! (and you have to do Hwy 2 north of LA).
That's some good advice rgiroux!

Any idea if the gooberment shutdown is effecting the DV sights?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
rgiroux
Invisible Man

found this info:

"It is currently closed, and more than likely will remain closed for a while due to the "politics" involved.

www.sierrawave.net/26670/hurts-local-workers/

>>Death Valley National Park is mostly closed under the shutdown. Abby Wines, Acting Public Information Officer at Death Valley Park said that Highway 190 through the Park would remain open as would Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch and Panamint Springs Resort.<<

So the privately owned property inside the park is open, and they will allow cars to drive down Highway 190, but with a rule of no stopping or parking when inside the National Park.

so, they might have Dante's View closed off??"

more info: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...rk_Califo.html

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab