ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Chased by a Vigilante Road-Raged Driver

Figured I throw this story up on the board

Three months ago I was attempting to go from Fort Collins to the Berthoud MX track on my F800GS to play around. I've never been there before but I knew it was located off I25. My buddy wanted to bring his mx bikes and meet there at 1600 on Friday. I got to I25 and traffic was gridlocked. I frustratedly exited at Loveland and figured I'd just take some sort of frontage roads. After exiting I25 I immediately got stuck behind a black nissan altima. The altima was driving erratically and slow. At this point it didn't matter because there was nothing I could do so I stayed behind him. Then I seen the frontage road that I thought I was supposed to turn onto. It was a one lane left turn at a stop light. The altima was also making the same left and was still in front of me. There were 20 cars trying to make this left turn and only 4-5 were making it through the light at a time. The 10-15 minutes I sat in line at the light I noticed that the altima wouldn't move forward at times, and somehow managed to almost go completely out of his lane while we were inch'ing forward. It was apparent the driver was doing something besides paying attention. Eventually there was one car, the altima, and myself inline for the next green turn arrow. When the light turned green the altima sped up started turning left but went wayyy wide, out of the turning lane, started to go off the shoulder, and off the road completely...at this time I noticed that there was no oncoming traffic, so I gas'ed it over the double yellows sped up, passed the altima and the car in front of him, and looked back to see the altima drift back onto the road and back into his initial spot. Now I'm like, "dafuq just happened??" But I now have some space in-between the guy behind me and myself. I continue on and watch my mirror noticing that the altima is riding the ass of the car separating us, and the altima is weaving in and out of his and the oncoming traffics lane. I eventually come to a roundabout, and though I was now lost, I decided to head south. I check my mirror and see that the altima continues west still all over the car infront of it.

Half a mile down this road I decide to pull off on the shoulder to check my phone gps and see where I was. The road wasn't populated, few farms here and there, and I was sitting on my running motorcycle with my earphones in listening to music. As I'm looking down at my phone I get a knock on my helmet. I look over and see a guy 5'11", around his 40's, big mustache, white trash nascar shirt and hat, beer belly that protruded to the extent of his arms, and cowboy boots. This guy is yelling at me, but I can't hear anything. I thought he might have been one of the farmers seeing if I needed help. I give him the hold on finger and look down at my phone to turn off the music. After I turn it off I look up and notice a black altima parked 20-30 yards ahead of me on the shoulder. Now I look at the guy and he's yelling at me about being dangerous. Since I'm not tall and barely balancing the gs between myself, and had no intention to start an altercation, I shoved my phone in my tank bag, put my bike in gear, told him to go f off, and I got out of there. End of Story, right?

NO! I look back and see this guy running towards his car. I'm completely lost but gas it to 60mph and look back to see him catching up to me in his car. I give it more gas and see a T stop sign ahead. I slow down, but don't stop, and watch him in my mirror blow the stop sign as well. Now he's catching up again so I see a right hand turn. At 60mph I brake hard, downshift, and make the turn. He's going so fast that he loses control of the car and slides past the turn. At this point I realize this guy is psychotic and is capable to doing grave harm. This chase continues at speeds of 110mph and for a couple more miles and turns. Finally I make a turn and see I25 ahead. I figured I'd get on I25 and do what I needed to to put some space in-between us until I could find a safe place to call the authorities. Just as I'm about to reach I25 I noticed I passed a big gas station. I decide to bust a U-turn into on-comming traffic to get to the gas station, because I knew there were cameras and witnesses there. As I'm heading towards the entrance of the gas station he drives into the oncoming lane heading right towards me and cuts me off at the driveway to the station. I go around him and b-line the doors. I jump off my bike and watch him fly into a space near the pumps. I decide I'm going to run inside, tell them to call 911, and attempt to find a place to wait until the police arrive...but as I see him get out of his car and start running at me, I look over and notice a State Trooper getting gas!!! So I yell at the trooper and start running towards him. The guy looks over at who I'm yelling at and awkwardly stops running and walks into the gas station.

So I talk to the trooper and update him on everything that went on. We talk for a few minutes and discuss my options. Then he ask me, "is that the guy," while he points at the gas station, and sure as shit the guy is inside, hiding behind the cases of cola lining the window, with his head popped up, just starring at us. This guy has severe psychotic problems!

I had no proof that anything happened, and I could take the guy to court, but it would be my word against his. At this point I don't have any desire to go to court so the trooper told me to take off and he'd make contact with the guy, run his info, and go from there. The End.

Never, ever, ever would I have expected any of this to happen. My background is Law Enforcement, through the military, and through military contracts. I know my capabilities and I know how to handle situations. If I would have tried anything during the initial confrontation, the whole situation could have ended badly, for me, or for the other guy.

A lot of people say that if they were in my shoes the would have (hit, fought, shot, smashed, etc) the guy. - No you wouldn't have. I was balancing a running, brand new to me f800gs. All he would have had to do is push me over to gain an advantage.

During the initial confrontation, I assessed the guy as crazy and wanting to yell. He didn't appear to want to start a physical fight. My decision to ride off was to de-escalte the situation and end the whole situation together. Maybe telling him to f-off was his breaking point. But the part that worries me the most is that the whole situation could have been a lot worse. He could have approached me and took a bat to my face, shot me, or just rammed his car into me while I was sitting on the shoulder looking at my phone and I would have never seen it coming.

The reason I posted this story is due to the recent "motorcycle gang vs suv" thread. This guy attempted to enforce HIS law on me, the same way the gang attempted to enforce their law on the SUV. There are psychotic and deranged people out there, whether it be in NYC, or the beautiful front range of Loveland.

Ride vigilantly friends.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,217
I think you did the right thing, but.........you do know what the GS in BMW F 800 GS stands for, don't you?

Hint
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
micah360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
jezus... that is a crazy story (and dude) for sure. Weird that an inbred, Nascar hillbilly was driving a japanese car too...
micah360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm still not sure what GS stands for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah360 View Post
jezus... that is a crazy story (and dude) for sure. Weird that an inbred, Nascar hillbilly was driving a japanese car too...
And yes, very strange. Late 2000 Altima, blacked out windows, lowered with aftermarket silver and black wheels.

Now you know why I initially figured the guy was a farmer curious what I was doing in front of his property.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
I'm still not sure what GS stands for.
Quote:
The GS refers to either Gelände/Straße (German: off-road/road) or Gelände Sport
He was trying to tell you that you have an off-road motorcycle and taking it off-road would have been the easiest way to get away from the hillbilly road-rager.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,480
You did the right thing. At some point in life, all major conflicts end with an ambulance or a police car and you never know which you'll end up in until it's over. Neither is desirable, and avoidance is the best option.

Glad you're okay.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical View Post
He was trying to tell you that you have an off-road motorcycle and taking it off-road would have been the easiest way to get away from the hillbilly road-rager.
Oh I get it now. Like I said it was new to me, barely had it a week. I've never ridden dirt bikes (besides my crf sumo) or anything other than street bikes. But that was the day that I realized how fun that bike was on the road and how well it held up in the corners.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
Wow

Yet another good reason for ATGATT!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 3,961
If you're trying to get away from a road rager, speed limits don't apply. Found that out firsthand. It was the basis for my speeding ticket being dismissed in Westminster.

I'm glad you're still alive. There are a serious number of unstable people out there, piloting 2 ton vehicles. People off their meds. Women suffering post partum depression. Crackpots of all flavors.

You just don't know until you're in a conflict with them.

Forget about a sidearm. Evasion is almost always the right approach.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,217
Should have gotten a business card from the Trooper and called him later to see what the deal was with the crazy guy.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #11
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post
If you're trying to get away from a road rager, speed limits don't apply. Found that out firsthand. It was the basis for my speeding ticket being dismissed in Westminster.

I'm glad you're still alive. There are a serious number of unstable people out there, piloting 2 ton vehicles. People off their meds. Women suffering post partum depression. Crackpots of all flavors.

You just don't know until you're in a conflict with them.

Forget about a sidearm. Evasion is almost always the right approach.
Yeah the sidearm argument always arises. I do have a concealed, but can't ever think of a reason to carry it while riding. I do carry oc spray in my tank bag now. I've been sprayed a handful of times for quals. I'd almost rather be shot, just so I can have an excuse to be balling my eyes out for half an hour!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
gallinastrips
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Had a lady driving behind me like that in a jeep few years back and just pulled over to let her by. Looked over in time to see the crazed/vacant stare in her eyes as she waved her fist at me while weaving down the road. Best just to stay calm and move on as there are a lot of nut jobs out there just looking for confrontation.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I for one have to admit that I'm a little disappointed at how this all played out.

Maybe it's just the product of my overactive imagination ............. but I would have expected a lot more fireworks and bravado from a guy that calls himself "SWASHBUCKLER"!
Old 10-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
I for one have to admit that I'm a little disappointed at how this all played out.

Maybe it's just the product of my overactive imagination ............. but I would have expected a lot more fireworks and bravado from a guy that calls himself "SWASHBUCKLER"!
haha guess I'll need admin to change my name to something more appropriate like swab or wench

Old 10-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Been there too unfortunately

I've always been able to just speed away though....

Can't say that I would have reacted the same to someone knocking on my helmet, after I realized it was the Altima dude...

Mostly when random people seem pissed at me while I'm on the bike, I just assume they don't like the bright lights. Too bad for them.