ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
coloradogoose
Really?!?

Oddometer: 83
Well, I'm glad you had good sense about you. You used the best advantage you had which was speed and maneuverability. Any of those people who say " well I woulda kicked his ass!" have no idea what they are talking about. Motorcycles have advantages and disadvantages compared to cages. A disadvantage is that they don't stand on their own. He would have had the time to get several good swings in before you were off your bike, and even then you said you were at a size disadvantage. IMHO you made the best and safest decision. Was the "F-off" comment necessary? No, but I bet it felt good.
71' Yamaha CT1 (bastardization in progress)
coloradogoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
This is a good example of why I have a camera on my helmet. Files are easy to delete if nothing happens, but if something does happen...

I've been followed before... on the local main roads, into the neighborhood... follow an odd route and i'm still being tailed. Knowing the neighborhood, and that there's a bike path connecting the ends of two cul-de-sacs... hop the sidewalk, take that bike path between the backyards, pop out in the other cul-de-sac, and all of a sudden there's no way pissed-off-cage-driver's following me anymore.

Video like that all goes into an Amazon S3 bucket for storage/archiving (1/GB/mo in glacier...tough to beat) and if needs be I can give a login to someone who needs it (like a lawyer).

Last resort is pepper spray in my jacket pocket, or sidearm. But I'd rather just disappear.
Old 10-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,393
Been chased by a crazed driver in a car, well actually it was a Pontiac Safari station wagon , but never been chased on my m/c. I too would avoid and disappear as quickly as possible via any path, pasture, whatever.

One reason I don't listen to anything but the bike and the road while I am riding, I find the music way too distracting from the necessary attentiveness of riding a motorcycle on pavement with all the other lunatics out there.

atokad screwed with this post 10-05-2013 at 01:58 PM
atokad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #19
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Been chased by a crazed driver in a car, well actually it was a Pontiac Safari station wagon
That was Heisenberg
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #20
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That was Heisenberg
Ev...AKA Heisenberg...driving an Aztek. I always wondered how Ev got all those cool bikes.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 594
Be thankful you had a Motorcycle to get away from that nut bag

When I was 15 I almost got ran over by a guy turning right as I was crossing a side street on My skateboard non the less

He yelled at Me and I yelled back

dud slams the station wagon in park and charges Me

He's got a flattop and Marine tats I was screwed Grabbed my board by the trucks and swung as hard as I could

split his head wide open but He still landed on Me and pinned Me down

just then i hear a shotgun cycle a shell into the chamber

a passer by saved My ass I was covered in blood and as a nice home owner mopped my blood off We discovered it was all His LOL

motorist gave ME a ride to work and I never road my skateboard to work that way again

Shiot can go south in a hurry

you did OK but I think you pouched at the end you should have been able to dodge him on a bike all day long
stopping without a definite plan other than 911
wasn't a good call IMHO

thanks for sharing it makes everyone think " what if ?"
ZEmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #22
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,301
I hear PCP is making a big comeback, maybe that's part of the reason for all the whacos.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,010
Once you tell a belligerent jerk to F off you buy into the situation. He started it, for sure, but at some point you have to decide if escalating the situation is wise. There are too many idiots out there looking for a fight. Don't give them more justification to find one. I wasn't there, but that is what I got out of the start of the story. IMHO, of course.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Dang there are a lot of people that have some good stories on this forum.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
New Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
haha guess I'll need admin to change my name to something more appropriate like swab or wench
Well, I've given this a lot of thought over the weekend. I don't generally make these types of decisions without much careful consideration. Having said that, here's my final choices. I'm torn between "Swabbie" and "Cabin Boy".

What do you think about those Swashbuckler? Either one would have a lot of cachet' here on ADV, don't you think? I think "Cabin Boy" would make you "real popular" with the guys down in the basement.

Okayyyyy, I'm just funning ya! Seriously, I'm glad that it all worked out without any blood being spilled. You might consider trading that 800 in on a Ural with a hack and 50 cal. mounted up front. You know, "The Commuter Special" Ride safe amigo.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #26
MrBob
Jambo!

Oddometer: 7,189
I had a similar situation occur in friendly Minnesota; a guy in a Volvo wagon took exception to my passing him on the freeway and came after me. There was too much traffic for me to outrun him so I ducked around other cars.
Eventually, we faced off with a local cop between us .
The thing is, I've been riding for a lifetime and my experience is that, until recently, pissed off motorists wouldn't cross a line with motorcyclists. This incident taught me that homicidal rage is more prevalent in traffic these days and events can go scarily south in an instant.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
Pariahtize
Miscategorized

Oddometer: 1,076
"Wow". . .to the entire story.

Very interesting how great the differences can be between people and their situational reactions.

Pay attention out there boys and girls. . . the playground can be a rough place!

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #28
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
That was Heisenberg
Could've been Heisenberg when he was 17, like I was at the time. My "event" ended with me ditching the other driver as I used my CB radio to call the local PD which monitored channel 10 back "in the day". I actually knew the other kid that was driving the

and didn't know he was psycho until that Friday night. Gawd, I am getting
Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #29
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Sorry man, that was me. I was just trying to let you know your rear tire pressure looked "dangerously" low. Just trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atokad View Post
Could've been Heisenberg when he was 17, like I was at the time. My "event" ended with me ditching the other driver as I used my CB radio to call the local PD which monitored channel 10 back "in the day". I actually knew the other kid that was driving the

and didn't know he was psycho until that Friday night. Gawd, I am getting
Funny, I came across one of these in the Poudre Canyon this summer. The guy was driving like a maniac. I was on the 990. He would accellerate to 70mph+ on the straights to try and prevent a pass. Looked like a scruffy meth head, twitching looks over his shoulder as I got by.

On the way back down the canyon 4 hours later, he was pulled over with the hood up and a "divide by zero" look on his face as he stared into the engine compartment.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #30
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

On the way back down the canyon 4 hours later, he was pulled over with the hood up and a "divide by zero" look on his face as he stared into the engine compartment.
Did you wave?
How many fingers did you wave?
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote