ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #46
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Glad your all right and nothing worse happened!
Not to kick you when your hurting but I did want to give my opinion for the sake of future occurrences.
I disagree with the majority of thoughts here that say you did the right thing to run away. Getting in a fight probably would not have been near as dangerous as what you did.

Getting hit by a first doesn't compare to getting hit by an Altima! The fact the bike was new to you makes it more dangerous. Of course maybe he could have had a gun and shot you... It's hard to know the best thing to do - every situation is different. By all means run if you have a obvious advantage up ahead... Traffic you can cut between that he can't etc or dirt as others have said.

I think people tend to exaggerate in our minds how dangerous an angry man is but minimize how dangerous a 2 ton vehicle is.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk 2
Only thing I could see not doing was saying F You. Just say sorry and go on your way. Okay I take that back never just STOP after a chase or if you feel you are still being followed.

Although who am I kidding I would say F you too and give finger.

Then you get the reverse where its a nut on a motorcycle. My good friend, also an ex-rider had to lock up his brakes on an exit ramp to get away from a dude on a Harley who got made because my friend went around him in the middle lane of I-25 as Harley rider was in the fast lane going 10 under (the usual HD Rider thing to do). Guy on HD got mad (friend says he gave him a lot of room so the rider was not cut off as him being a rider himself has respect for motorcycle space), rider proceeds to cut my friend off multiple times, then kept switching lanes with him...he owned a GTO at the time and finally got passed the rider and up to 140mph. Then comes the exit ramp and HD caught back up. I asked if the rider went down, he said he could have and would not understand how he wouldn't have went down because he locked the brakes up at 80mph and all he saw was the rider swerve and he continued on with no rider behind him. As he said if the guy was THAT crazy to follow and try and pick a fight with a vehicle what was the rider going to do at a red light on surface streets!!!! He knew he needed that rider gone, he said at that point he did not care one bit if the rider died as he picked his own fate giving chase for NO REASON other then to be in raged.

So point being there are raging motorcyclist too that can flip. I too been followed in my Collage days. Dude did not like that I laughed at him at a red light. Took me in a mall lot where the guy followed me to turn the car around and full speed ahead at 60-70mph across the lot head on into the guy...guy swerved and never saw him again...guess he realized I was serious on the STOP FOLLOWING me as we had went 10 miles.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #47
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I too been followed in my Collage days.
priceless
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #48
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,919

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #49
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
priceless
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette
I too been followed in my Collage days.

was it just 1 day ?

College that is LOL
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #50
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Hondo, which pic is the real you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post

Quote:
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #51
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Hondo, which pic is the real you?

Both. Don't you know that Hondo is a master of disguise?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
priceless
I honestly had no clue...had a British teacher that always spelled it Collage in High School...now I'm looking it up looks like I been fooled by a fool. I assumed it was like Colour which I go either way in using US or UK versions....LOL Glad Colour is correct...hahaha So much for $12K a year in tuition....LOL

Oh well learn something new every day.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #53
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 8,919
The real me?

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #54
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,777
Yikes. Sorry you had to go through that.

I've developed a rule for my travels that has helped me out more than a few times: crazy/eratic/suspicious people get to stay in front of me where I can watch them, and it's a LOT easier to bail from behind somebody than it is in front of them.

Any vehicle driving like the one you described in a situation like you described? No place to make a turn and take a different route? Time to pull over for five-ten minutes and let them get far ahead so I don't have to deal with it anymore.

That said, if a car made the "left turn" like you described, I probably would have gassed it past them as well. That guy was a lunatic, and probably drunk or high or both. I'm glad you came out unscathed and un-ticketed!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #55
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
I honestly had no clue...had a British teacher that always spelled it Collage in High School...now I'm looking it up looks like I been fooled by a fool. I assumed it was like Colour which I go either way in using US or UK versions....LOL Glad Colour is correct...hahaha So much for $12K a year in tuition....LOL

Oh well learn something new every day.
One little slip up and the FFs descend like vultures, I get called out all the time

Back to Collage, your English instructor spelled it incorrectly also, the British spelling is college The Limeys usually refer to as University though.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #56
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
One little slip up and the FFs descend like vultures, I get called out all the time

Back to Collage, your English instructor spelled it incorrectly also, the British spelling is college The Limeys usually refer to as University though.
Alright, Chris...have you been watching BBC Top Gear again?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #57
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post

That is true in Austria we mostly said University...oh well
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #58
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
The real me?
I give you the real Hondo!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Once you tell a belligerent jerk to F off you buy into the situation. He started it, for sure, but at some point you have to decide if escalating the situation is wise. There are too many idiots out there looking for a fight. Don't give them more justification to find one. I wasn't there, but that is what I got out of the start of the story. IMHO, of course.
+1 - If the OP informed the cop that he told the rager to f-off (I bet he didn't, if he did then good for him), then the cop probably would have responded with something like what FatChance said above. It doesn't excuse the rager's actions...but avoidance is the key to many things in life, not just judo or marriage. Poking the bear just because he's a fat, ugly, loud-mouthed bear isn't going to help you, the EMTs, or the highly insecure bear.

If you show the bully some civility it could really catch him off guard and diffuse the situation though with little satisfaction on either party's part. Something like "I'm sorry you felt like I was being unsafe back there" isn't admitting fault but it is acknowledging their feelings/thoughts and implying that you both should maybe agree to disagree instead of escalating the confrontation further...road-side diplomacy of sorts.

Remember, he's expecting you to flip the bird at that point. These ragers genuinely desire to escalate things just enough for them to put the cherry on top after the situation explodes in their victims' face, to "one-up" their opponents as best they can often dragging them down to their own level in the process. This guy would have loved for the OP to crash and burn as he fled and to then get away with his involvement/aggression in the situation which is far from impossible unless the OP had a camera or credible witnesses to back him up in court.

There's definitely a risk to fleeing, of being intimidated by his aggression enough to run (again, playing into HIS game). It takes surprisingly little impact to bleed out or suffer brain injury even with ATGATT and that kind of impact could happen at any time on a moto (especially w/traffic/other people in any way present)...throw in the impaired judgment of the fight-or-flight response and you're putting yourself in a lot of risk by fleeing the scene at high speeds again especially if traffic is present OR if he's trying to hit you himself with is larger vehicle.

Is that cumulative risk higher than getting into a physical confrontation off of your moto? That's for you and your side-arm to decide. I'd take the physical confrontation any day especially if I have a camera rolling and a sidearm handy. IMHO, fight-or-flight responses have no place on a moto given the inherent danger of riding to begin with AND the fact that you're not necessarily avoiding the most dangerous part of the equation, other people (not just the aggressor), by attempting to flee. Running away from danger makes sense almost always...but when "running away" on a moto can be so incredibly dangerous I would not advise that course of action unless you can do so calmly and with a clear course of action which itself is quite unlikely.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #60
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig_Sour View Post
..but avoidance is the key to many things in life,

If you show the bully some civility it could really catch him off guard and diffuse the situation though with little satisfaction on either party's part. Something like "I'm sorry you felt like I was being unsafe back there"
you are describing 2 different courses of action as one IMHO

you can't "avoid" a possible bad situation by confronting an enraged individual and trying to talking civil IMHO
you can count on that actually not working most times

as you likely wouldn't even get he words "I,m" out of your mouth before your "out " and lying on the ground

it's fight or flight in my book if you try anything in between it will still end up in a fight or flight situation

now if your at work with a coworker ETC than yes a little chat could work this wasn't that scenario
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote