ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #91
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
Unfortunately I go to Texas once in a while. My Dad was born there and my Aunt and Uncle live in Austin. I really like Austin.
You don't have to come. Please stay the hell in CO. Stay happy in CO
kojack06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #92
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
You don't have to come. Please stay the hell in CO. Stay happy in CO

A little anger there. Would you try to run me off the road if I went to Texas??

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #93
kojack06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
A little anger there. Would you try to run me off the road if I went to Texas??
No. I just want you to be happy. Just stay the hell in colorado. We don't want or need you in TX.
kojack06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #94
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I'll take it any way I can get it. It makes a huge difference in getting people to pull over. I suppose it's the next best thing to blue flashing lights while still being (somewhat) legal. If I run my 55W HID + LEDs, I'm pretty sure paint would start peeling off the back of the cage in front of me.

Bright lights save time.

I once attended a local 4x4 club meeting on behalf of NCTR. During Q&A, they asked me why the dirt bikers are always acting like they are in a race & need to get around them. My answer: If we went that slow we would fall over.

I once got behind a 4x4 club outing on 7 mile. At one creek crossing, I did an air dab on my XR600 behind a jeep & fell over in a heap. The old gal in the back seat swiveled around and started snapping pictures of me laying on the ground.
It's not a race, but we can safely go faster then them on all the dirt roads and trails. You should of asked them why would they want us behind them. Also is it not rude to let the person choke on their dust when they can go around and be gone never to bee seen again.

I been known in my Jeep to pass people on Mt Herman Road...you know those doing 5 mph in their jacked up truck that is so shiny you know they never go off-roading. I love when they dodge the small potholes and I drive straight through them with no issues...must be city slickers.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #95
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Haha this thread is funny.

I've always been curious how many people who have owned a gun, and have never been in a career where they carried a gun, have ever used a gun correctly.

I have friends and family that are always talking about pulling their guns for situations that don't dictate a deadly weapon. The funny thing is that I know if they were ever in a situation where they would have to actually use their gun they would shit their pants, pull the gun out that is now covered in shit, forget that the safety was on, try to fire an un-chambered round, shit some more, chamber a round, and then proceed to fire off shots that would most likely miss the "bad guy" by at least 10 feet. Thats if the "bad guy" does't walk away or injure them first.

Even people who carry guns for a living, including police officers, rarely handle situations correctly when guns need to be drawn.

For instance:
My buddy called me the other day to tell me a funny story. He was awaken in the middle of the night by an intruder. He grabbed his gun, round in the chamber and on fire, and ran downstairs to find his dog had knocked something over.
My take on the story: My buddy is retarded and delusional.

Like I said in my original post. I was a heavy gunner in the military. I spent a year on top of a hummer in Iraq with a 249. I got out, and have done another 3 years of overseas police contracting. So please refrain from armchair quarterbacking with your "I would have drawn a gun" comments, if you've spent you life sitting behind a desk.

I ride motorcycles, but would never tell Rossi how he lost because he took a corner wrong, and how I would have taken the corner faster, while backing it in with an elbow on the ground, while bunny-hopping over Lorenzo to win a race. - This would just make me look like a dumbass.

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Swashbuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #96
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post

So please refrain from armchair quarterbacking with your "I would have drawn a gun" comments, if you've spent you life sitting behind a desk.
Welcome to ADVrider.
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #97
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas View Post
Welcome to ADVrider.
If you said that to my face i'd pull out my magnum and shoot you dead

And if anyone else comments on this post I WILL shoot them as well!

And the next time someone puts a fucking pickle on my burger when I ask for no pickl.....BANG right in their fucking face! I said no fucking pickles!

Someone pulls over to help me fix a flat.....BANG!

Squirrel outside..BANG!

Previous Bikes: 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R / 2009 F800GS / 2010 Triumph Daytona / 2004 CRF450R - Supermoto / 2007 GSXR 750 / 1991 Yamaha XJ600 Secca II
Old 10-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #98
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Even people who carry guns for a living, including police officers, rarely handle situations correctly when guns need to be drawn.

This would just make me look like a dumbass.
I'm sure the State Trooper that you went running to for help would agree with this
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #99
Swashbuckler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COXR650L View Post
I'm sure the State Trooper that you went running to for help would agree with this
Why so? I've worked with police officers, local law enforcement included, FBI agents, all branches of military operations, state troopers as well, and I can ensure you that not all of them know how to handle situations. I guarantee if I asked the ST is there was anyone he worked with that he didn't trust with a gun, he could easily drop a couple names.

Old 10-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #100
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,433
I've been chased twice. One time, riding on town street minding my business, I ride past a car going the other direction, next thing buddy is right behind me all over my ass, like he is trying to hit me, so I gas it and run. Over curbs, through someone's little garden and fence and eventually down the sidewalk and through a gated area where the car couldn't follow. Second time I'm admittedly speeding and rip past a car trying to pull out onto the main road that I'm on, buddy is pissed and starts chasing me and I bolt, who knew a shadow 750 with two people would top 230km/h!?? Anyway many twist and turns later I decide to end it and stop to let buddy have his say, it was getting dangerous and I didn't want to risk my friend's life any further. I got arrested, bike impounded and I ended up with a big fine. Oh...did I forget to mention the raging cager was a cop car on both occasions? Years ago when I was a dipshit teen. I used to ride my dirt bike to school and grandma's house. Always followed the speed limits and all but being under 16 I didn't have a license or a plate or insurance. Second time I had "borrowed" my brothers bike and had just raced and smoked some trash taking idiot on a old crap bike, unfortunately I blew past a cop car as it was pulling out of the station and in a panic I ran. Poor situational awareness
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #101
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:

This guy did OK....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgLAGTBc_UU
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #102
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack06 View Post
No. I just want you to be happy. Just stay the hell in colorado. We don't want or need you in TX.
This just cracks me up, considering the number of TX plates running around here.

And BTW: no hate and anger here please. just my humble opinion.

Marc
Old 10-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #103
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
I've always been curious how many people who have owned a gun, and have never been in a career where they carried a gun, have ever used a gun correctly.

I have friends and family that are always talking about pulling their guns for situations that don't dictate a deadly weapon. The funny thing is that I know if they were ever in a situation where they would have to actually use their gun they would shit their pants, pull the gun out that is now covered in shit, forget that the safety was on, try to fire an un-chambered round, shit some more, chamber a round, and then proceed to fire off shots that would most likely miss the "bad guy" by at least 10 feet. Thats if the "bad guy" does't walk away or injure them first.

I've worked with police officers, local law enforcement included, FBI agents, all branches of military operations, state troopers as well, and I can ensure you that not all of them know how to handle situations. I guarantee if I asked the ST is there was anyone he worked with that he didn't trust with a gun, he could easily drop a couple names.
Obviously it's the nature of the situation that it's more difficult to find people who can be trusted with a deadly weapon than to find people who cannot. What does your point prove? That even trained professionals don't trust some of their colleagues with deadly weapons...? What does that prove? It's hard to trust your fellow man with a deadly weapon period regardless of how much you trust their training, experience, and expertise. Yes those who lack training and experience are more prone to mishandling firearms but that doesn't completely derail the efficacy of self-defense even for the layperson. You're right that the "average gun-owner" isn't a honed shooter under duress because they don't practice or have experience shooting under duress, but again, that doesn't completely derail the efficacy of self-defense.

We all know that self-defense, with a side-arm or not, is not a straight-forward situation and also that no matter what that it is indeed highly dangerous. Side-arms, because of various reasons, can make self-defense even less straight-forward but with a little training, common-sense, and some bravery it is indeed possible to defend one's self with a sidearm. You know this first hand (you defended yourself while in service) yet you make it sound like the average gun owner has no chance at self-defense. But it doesn't require a well-trained, highly experienced professional to carry out a successful defense in our society. Often times pulling the gun out diffuses the threat as well as firing a warning shot even if it does not hit it's intended target. Very, very few self-defense situations involve a shoot-out of any capacity. A ton involve would-be victims firing warning shots then criminals running away, you can read about it in newspapers across America almost every day. If people were such clusterf$%#s with guns as you suggest then the media would be trumpeting it across TV and computer screens 24/7 a la George Zimmerman and John Spooner but those are exceptions.

Quote:
Like I said in my original post. I was a heavy gunner in the military. I spent a year on top of a hummer in Iraq with a 249. I got out, and have done another 3 years of overseas police contracting. So please refrain from armchair quarterbacking with your "I would have drawn a gun" comments, if you've spent you life sitting behind a desk.
Did anyone speak to your specific situation and post up anything like, "In your case, I would have drawn a gun"? I don't believe any one did. Maybe in other threads you've read where people been so ignorant as to suggest what you "should have done"having not been there themselves. Yet no one here posted "I would have drawn a gun". Sidearms have been discussed but no one has been armchair quarterbacking about them in this thread...though yourself and ZEmann have been advocating that a sidearm is essentially a non-option in these situations yet the reasoning is not sound IMHO; i.e. "guns are dangerous and can be mishandled" is not a sound reason to not carry a sidearm unless you cannot trust yourself with one. That is a personal determination to be made on a case-by-case basis. Gun safety exists for a reason and it's not to prevent firearms from ever being used when appropriate, quite the opposite.
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #104
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
I saw that over on the Kawasaki forums. What a great time for an off duty police officer to be stopped in traffic. Man!...Brazil must be a tough neighborhood.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #105
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Haha this thread is funny.

For instance:
My buddy called me the other day to tell me a funny story. He was awaken in the middle of the night by an intruder. He grabbed his gun, round in the chamber and on fire, and ran downstairs to find his dog had knocked something over.
My take on the story: My buddy is retarded and delusional.

I ride motorcycles, but would never tell Rossi how he lost because he took a corner wrong, and how I would have taken the corner faster, while backing it in with an elbow on the ground, while bunny-hopping over Lorenzo to win a race. - This would just make me look like a dumbass.
I'm inclined to agree with you after having spent nearly 20 years in law enforcement myself. I also have to agree with others that not even law enforcement officers always do the right thing or necessarily make good decisions when the time calls for it either. I'd be lying if I sat here typing that I handled everything that I ever encountered 100% correctly, especially in the beginning when you're new to everything.

The only thing I generally ad to comments pro gun/carry people make is to actually train or practice doing what you SAY you will do when the time comes. Take motorcycling for example - are you carrying it on your side in a holster? So now you have to draw and fire your gun that is under your Aerostich (or whatever you are wearing and that is assuming you are wearing any kind of gear whatsoever) suit, jacket, with your gloves, handle the gun and fire it with all of your gear on. It also depends on what kind of gloves - this is easier if you are wearing a light pair of gloves, but what if you are wearing your big winter leather gloves? Reduced vision caused by helmet, maybe you're breathing faster and your visor fogs, etc. All things to be considered. Many guys that I know who carry while on their bikes don't even have it on their person, it's in a bag or their luggage someplace.

The only other thing I tell people is to make sure you at least THINK you know what you are legally allowed to do. Just because you THINK you are justified in blowing someone away doesn't mean the justice system will THINK you were

Frankly, I have no issue with how the OP handled this and I think he's better off then if he had simply shot someone who was following or yelling at him - I don't recall reading anything in his post where the guy ever assaulted him, tried to ram him with his car, etc. I'm not perfect by any means, but think some of this stuff through.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote