ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
2012 990 help please on the road, having problem..

My 990 with 8500 miles feels like its having a fueling issue. At highway speed, and rolling the throttle to pass a car it happened. It feels like it just ran out of fuel. Roll off the throttle it comes back to life. It has done this several times today in a 100 mile stretch.

I stopped and it would idle fine, shut the bike off and it would fire back up. Then the bike would act fine. Not-showing any error lights or codes.

I'm 300 miles from home, and hoping for some ideas..

Thanks Smitty
2013 Yamaha FJR1300...2010 BMW F800GS..
1999 Yamaha YZ250.. 2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,081
Fuel filters. If it is, limp home the 300 miles. Its a simple job but so many potential issues can come up, you want to be at home when you do it.
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,442
I just had the same exact issue...bike would run perfect up until I gave it some throttle, then it would bog out.

I was over filling the gas tanks to try to squeeze extra slab miles out of it, and the charcoal canister got some vacuum lock starving it.

Have you done the canisterectomy? Have you been topping the tanks?

If so, that's it. Just Let it dry out a bit and stop over filling the tanks and you'll be good to go,

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I just had the same exact issue...bike would run perfect up until I gave it some throttle, then it would bog out.

I was over filling the gas tanks to try to squeeze extra slab miles out of it, and the charcoal canister got some vacuum lock starving it.

Have you done the canisterectomy? Have you been topping the tanks?

If so, that's it. Just Let it dry out a bit and stop over filling the tanks and you'll be good to go,
I do have a habit of filling to the top. Just hope that's it. I would hate to limp it home and kill a weekend riding..

Thanks Smitty

I have a set of filters at home (duh). Just thought at 8 thousand mile it wouldn't need filters yet.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
IndyChizzle
Inspired by Trevor W

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
I do have a habit of filling to the top. Just hope that's it. I would hate to limp it home and kill a weekend riding..

Thanks Smitty

I have a set of filters at home (duh). Just thought at 8 thousand mile it wouldn't need filters yet.
Where are you located? Can anybody help with tools / a garage? PM me if you're near Indy.
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Where are you located? Can anybody help with tools / a garage? PM me if you're near Indy.
Thank for your offer .. I'm in Clinton Arkansas..
Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post

Thanks Smitty

I bet you're all set if you just give it a chance to evaporate a little. STOP filling it all the way, and make sure you're doing the Right side tank last by the way. If you fill that one first and then stand the bike up, it will most definitely over fill and plug the charcoal canister - for reals too.... You could also unplug the drain tubes if it's keeps acting up.

You don't say if you've done the canisterectomy or not - keep in mind this only applies if the canister is still in the evap circuit.

Keep calm and chive on.....

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I bet you're all set if you just give it a chance to evaporate a little. STOP filling it all the way, and make sure you're doing the Right side tank last by the way. If you fill that one first and then stand the bike up, it will most definitely over fill and plug the charcoal canister - for reals too.... You could also unplug the drain tubes if it's keeps acting up.

You don't say if you've done the canisterectomy or not - keep in mind this only applies if the canister is still in the evap circuit.

It still has the canister, and is stock.

Thanks for the comments and ideas..
Smitty
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
smitty141 OP
Studly Adventurer

Bike ran great today. Must have been the canister. It's coming off when I get home. And fill not "Top off" the tank..any more..

Thanks guys for the help...
Smitty
Old 10-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,653
Quote:

Along these lines, there is a hose coming out of the canister with a plug in the end. Pull that plug and let any excess fuel drain out. Been so long ago since I removed mine, I can't even remember where it's located.

Edit- sounds like you got it going. Keep that plug in mind in the future.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #11
travelsomewhere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
A great way to find out if you have a hose issue, or a possible kink in a hose can do this to you as well. pop open the fuel cap, there is a small black rubber port with a hole in it on the side of the cap ring. get a straw or a hose of sort and press i firmly to the top of that black port and make sure that you smooth airflow back and forth on both sides of the tank. mine had a kink in the hose and it gave me fits as well. if both passages are clear then i would look into the filter but i bet this if your issue. on my 09 the canister does not have a plug at the bottom of it so it cannot fill with fuel and hold it in, not sure if yours is the same way or not. i just disconnected the canister from the tanks to prevent future issues since the vent hoses have to make so many twists and turns. good luck
travelsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote