Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #61
McCardigan
happy Budda

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
McCardigan, quick question.
In your normal riding habits, in both Oz and in North America, did you normally run your bike down to almost empty and refill, or below 1/3 of the tank and refill? Or were you normally refilling at half a tank or perhaps as soon as the kilometer countdown started for refilling?
I'm curious if constant overheating of the pump has something to do with it playing up. We all know the pump is cooled by the surrounding fuel, but if a rider is constantly running down to near empty and the exposed pump is always getting hotter than normal, could this be a problem?
Just curious!
Maybe other riders can weigh in on this, too.
G/day Mike,

Interesting idea.

I usually start looking for a refill when the low fuel warning comes on, which in my case is about 3lts(3/4US gal). I carried 2x2lt H&B fuel containers bolted to the front of the panniers, so wasn't too worried about running out of fuel, at least not in the US and Canada.

Cheers

Chris

And proud 7th Day Adventourist
McCardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #62
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm View Post
Snowy, I'm pretty sure this system does NOT "circulate" the fuel- there's neither pressure regulator valve nor return line on the rail, rather the pump is controlled by feedback from a pressure sensor.
Yeah, correct. I had another look after racking my brain....couldn't remember seeing a return line.

2600kms on the set up as is. No issues. Seems to be running better than ever. For an 800 I think they go pretty well, it's not a 1200...but realistically it's not bad. I suppose a good couple of days in 1st gear will soon remove all doubt. It's getting close to summer. A couple of 38C days should be a good test.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #63
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
Ok ... so here are the pictures ...
You will notice that the end cap on the inlet side of the filter is "fluted" around the edge to let the gasoline hit the outside of the filter media.
When laid flat there is quite a lot of media and while it is covered with a film of crap it is a thin film and doesn't seem to impede flow... The cut marks are from my hacksaw ... not part of the original design ;-)

The top cap on the filter appears to just be a compression fit to the tapered neck piece there was no internal gasket provisions....

JRWooden screwed with this post 11-01-2013 at 09:27 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #64
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,866
Any pictures of the exterior pre-demolition?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #65
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm there's one in another thread ....
can't locate it at the moment.....
Old 11-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #66
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

I did a little google exercising today and the (lack of availability of) the KL315 filter is being cussed around the world .............

My German is non-existent, but the pictures work for me ... the guy in this thread machined a simple but elegant adapter to allow him to use a standard filter assembly. Could someone that can read German would read the thread and see if the outcome was acceptable?

http://www.michaelbense.de/g650x/for...php?f=5&t=4732
Old 11-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #67
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,307
Nice pop ups and BS there.

I'm a little rusty but..........

The filter can be easily mounted using cable ties so no noise, there is space in the tank enough so it doesn't arrive on beauty in the whole action.

A little lost in translation. That was my idea from the start but it involved getting a lathe so I lost interest. It's completely doable that way but keep in mind we have a float we best not interfere with. A little shorter setup kept to the side would be fine I believe.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #68
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
I'm a little rusty but..........

The filter can be easily mounted using cable ties so no noise, there is space in the tank enough so it doesn't arrive on beauty in the whole action.
Nicely done Dad!

"Der Filter kann mit einem Kabelbinder leicht befestigt werden damit keine Geräusche entstehen, im Tank ist Platz genug deshalb kommt es nicht auf Schönheit bei der ganzen Aktion an."
<-- The filter can easily be mounted with zip ties so that there is no noise, in the tank there is enough space. That being said beauty doesn't matter in this whole action.

He doesn't give a real feedback at the end. Just how he installed it and that's it. Since he didn't repost in this thread, either it's working or he had a terrible accident and the whole thing blew up on the road

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #69
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,050
The filters below are what are being used on other models, washable stainless steel

http://www.golanproducts.com/filters.html#filters-mini

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #70
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Well, I know that this is the external filter thread but -

Just for another data point, I decided to check out my filter this afternoon. The filter has 70k kms on it now and has seen fuel from all over Canada and the US. It wasn't plugged up nearly as badly as I expected. (For reference I have blown through a hell of a lot of filters in the 15 years I was an auto tech, so there is some experience FWIW).
The small amount of back pressure was nearly eliminated by back flushing the filter a few times. The typical crap came out of it, nothing surprising there!
In the end I decided it was safe enough to run for at least half that time again and put it all back together to save the hassle of installing an external filter.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #71
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Bayner ...
Thanks for that data point
I have about 36K miles on my bike and will be backflushing sometime over the winter ... to me that filter has a lot of surface area (based on the autopsy) , and you would have to get a some really crappy gas to plug it enough to be an issue...