User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
NickW909 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Chasing after the Dakar?

I've done some searching, but couldn't find much info.

Has anyone got any experience of independently following the Dakar by motorcycle? Bivouac to bivouac every day? (found a few threads on organised tours, but not interested in those)

The main problem is the distance. I plotted a route for the 1st stage of the 2014 event and without motorways its around 800km, looking at the other staged there are some easier days.

So, anyone done it? Is it possible? (Obviously depends alot on your riding ability)

Opinions please.

Thanks,

Nick.
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
I did it the first year in SA. Unless you skip ahead a day or two on occasion, it's pretty hard to watch any racing because you spend all your time chasing the race. You will not be able to get into the bivouac, so you'll miss the best part. There are threads here from others who have done it, or were planning on doing it with others.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,028
I have done it and yes its a lot of riding but a LOT of fun. If you plan it properly you can end up riding the liaison with your favorite competitors. Stop for a refuel anywhere and you will be treated like a competitor, sign autographs pose for photos etc.

Its TOTALLY AWESOME.

If youre sneaky you may actually be able go with the riders right up close to the start of the special, but be warned the organization try to stop you, including pulling you off your bike!

On the first Peruvian stage in 2012 A friend of mine and I snuck in past about 100 cops with a pack of the front riders, Despres, Svitko, Coma, Verhoefen. The cops stopped me but I said "estoy parte del la competition!", and they parted like the red sea. Got to spend about 30 minutes with them at the refuel before the start. in front of a spectator crown behind control lines of about 30,000 people. It was seriously cool, and we were careful not to intrude on the riders too much.

Each year it gets harder and harder to get so close to the start and finished of a stage, but with a bit of sleuthing and a lot of riding you can get to some really cool spots that few others get to see.

You'll be to be proficient in off piste riding in deep sand though for some of them!

The key is not to hang about for more than maybe an hour at any point or you will get left behind so you need to decided what you want to see. We hardly saw any f the trucks and cars except on the liaisons, because if we waited for them we would arrive at the next point after dark.

The bivouacs are off limits to casual visitors, you have to spend $300-500 with the ASO beforehand to get a VIP pass, and even then they only let the person in, not the vehicle. Its rip off but was worth it because in the bivouac you have free access to anyone pretty much and get to eat with the competitors.

We took camping gear but after a couple of days you will be so tired its better just to find a hotel and crash there. Hotels need to be booked ahead of time if possible because there are literally 100-500,000 spectators along the fences at each bivoac site and they all have to stay somewhere too.

Totally totally worth doing but its a tough slog in its own right given you have to ride 600-800km/day.

GO FOR IT if you can do it.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

A couple of pics:

Chatting to Darryl Curtis at the start of a special

a late Lunch with Frans Verhoefen and one of the Ozzie support guys in the bivouac. Many riders still out in the desert.

We found this place in the middle of nowhere where the bikes were coming past.

soooocoool! Many pulled wheelies for us. Probably thought we were official photographers. In a way we were!

Shouting Toyota through

Fixing a puncture in the Atacama en route to tour next viewing point.

Chatting to Neduro on a fuel somewhere on a neutralization section

Congratulating Fans Verhoefen at the finish of the final special. What a nice guy.

Stan Watt from Ireland pulling doughnuts

Final liasion of the Dakar coming into Lima with Chris Birch from New Zealand.

We were supporting the South African teams and got to ride almost all the way to the podium with them in fromt of like 1.5 million people.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
NickW909 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the replies.

Bluebull,

Great story and photos, looks like you had a great time.

Realised the bivouac itself would be off limits, but were there many people camping outside the bivouac?

Thanks,

Nick.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Bluebull,

Great story and photos, looks like you had a great time.

Realised the bivouac itself would be off limits, but were there many people camping outside the bivouac?

Thanks,

Nick.
You dont want to camp near the bivouac, They are away dry, dusty, waterless, windy places packed with thousands of people hunting for a glimpse of anything and hunting for anything remotely dakarish as a souvenier.

They're horrible.

The best thing to do if you want to camp is to find a peaceful spot 25-30km away and set you alarm for early.

A hospedaje or hotel is a much much better bet, esp. after an 800km ride and spending all day in the sun.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,389
Bluebull did Fans Verhoefen have anything to say about his Sherco ? I'm guessing he didn't have much good to say about his mechanics ,lol
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .450 Sherco called Bling .
13 Sherco 300i called The Bee's Knees .
shearboy2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
I love this race and to read about it.I guess to participate you either have to have millions of dollars,ride for a team professionally or both.Id love to do this race along w Baja as well,I don't care if it took me longer or I finished last,better to be a participant for 1 day then a spectator for life:)
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
I guess to participate you either have to have millions of dollars, ride for a team professionally or both.
Neither. You just have to set your mind to it, and do what it takes to make it happen. More than a dozen "nobody" moto guys from the States have done just that!
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Neither. You just have to set your mind to it, and do what it takes to make it happen. More than a dozen "nobody" moto guys from the States have done just that!
This.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
Bluebull did Fans Verhoefen have anything to say about his Sherco ? I'm guessing he didn't have much good to say about his mechanics ,lol
He likes the Sherco, but oh boy you should have heard what he said about the mechanics! It was not pretty at all! I got the impression they were really really bad, and make a lot of really basic mistakes like not even tightening bolts properly, which ended up ruining his rally. Its a miracle and a tribute to his ability to fix things in the desert that he finished to be honest.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #12
bend27
by hook or by crook

Oddometer: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw909 View Post

bluebull,

great story and photos, looks like you had a great time.

Thanks
+1!!
bend27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I did it as part of a (disorganised) tour last year. Didnt quite go to plan but we had a good time anyway.

Would love to do it again sometime, but not as part of a tour. If your interested you can read about it here.

http://seqtrailrider.typepad.com/my_weblog/dakar/
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Critt
Gathering info

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW909 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Bluebull,

Great story and photos, looks like you had a great time...
Yes, thanks Bluebull. Great photos too.
Critt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:50 AM   #15
NickW909 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
I did it as part of a (disorganised) tour last year. Didnt quite go to plan but we had a good time anyway.

Would love to do it again sometime, but not as part of a tour. If your interested you can read about it here.

http://seqtrailrider.typepad.com/my_weblog/dakar/
Thanks for posting the link, I'll take a look.

Nick