Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 PM   #406
bearorso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallye View Post
[

On the other side of the coin, he still has publicity in spades even with a crap car. Are there any other cars in the race? You wouldn't know if just by reading this thread... How much more would we be talking about RG if he was in the lead?[/QUOTE

He is still a racer with a huge ego and competitive streak, he wouldn't be so successful if he wasn't I don't believe he would just turn up at Dakar just to make up the numbers ,even if he does make money out of it. He would be spewing with what happened ,given he knows he is faster than the other guys !.
He knows he is faster? - well, he believes he is. That doesn't count for s**t. He's yet to prove it - and the only thing that ultimately counts, is the final result. One or two specials / days, is not the event.

As to the "publicity" - well, perhaps that's ALL he's after. Perhaps he's made a judgement such as above - publicity / notoriety is what counts - and thus doesn't make the effort / commitment that is required to actually win the event. Hey, many would argue that that's a pretty clever call. I just see it as a slightly interesting sideshow, to the real events.

Many European / South American / OZ - and US - contacts I have, seem to regard his efforts as an annual joke / farce.

I myself hold him in higher regard than that, and I'd like to see him do better. There's still a lot of days, and Ks left, for him to do so.

The reality is, there are a hell of a lot of people, other than US types watching the race - sure, he catches some attention, but nothing like the blokes / teams that do things properly, well and get the results - and that's what the vast majority of fans / consumers and companies remember.

The worlds a big place - and it sure as hell isn't just planet rubby.

bearorso screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 10:24 PM
bearorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #407
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
How much more would we be talking about RG if he was in the lead?
For some reason, I am inclined to believe that it has nothing to do with prize money.

Where is Speed Energy Drink primarily sold? (And how much $ does the Energy Drink Business rake in each year?)

In all of the fan videos posted, they scream twice as loud for 'Roooobbeee Gorddddonnnnnn' than they do anyone else. All he has to do for the money is keep that up.

Ramp jumps, doughnuts and rolling back an forth on the local skateboard ramp are probably enough to keep the interest up, much less doing well in the race.

Plus, yesterdays and todays results won't have any relevance, in the eyes of the fans, when he blows the doors off a mini on stage 9 coming down the hill into Iquique to loads of fanfare (if he can keep getting towed in till then )

Uller screwed with this post 01-06-2014 at 10:48 PM
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 PM   #408
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Martillo Racing Update

http://www.elmartilloracing.com/blog...rtillo-racing/

Sweet and sour 2nd stage for El Martillo Racing
Jan 7, 2014 / no comment
Hard day for the team but make it to the bivouac

El Martillo Racing’s Dodge Durango had a rough day today in the 2nd stage of the Dakar Rally 2014, with Luis “Fito” Ramirez driving the “special” of the day, the team was confident to get the job done and arrive to the finish line as soon as possible.

The race was getting along and Luis was doing a great race, they even got the 26th position overall in one point of the stage, the things were going good until some mechanical problems showed -up beside two times getting stuck in the gray sand dunes of Nihuil. The gas pump got some issues and there was the worst lost of time.

Besides that, the team got penalized for speeding during the 1st stage, what unfortunately represented two hours.

The mechanics team had to start working late on the car and probably will be a long night to get the Dodge Durango ready for the 3rd stage from San Rafael to Chilecito.

The position of the team after two stages is the 68th, something that Matt, Fito and Nico will try to make better in the following days, but with out a doubt this is got to be taken one by one.

Sweet and sour 2nd stage for Jeff Quade

El Martillo Racing’s Jeff Quade had a sweet and sower 2nd stage in the Dakar Rally 2014. After starting late in the 1st stage of the race, Quade wanted to get better in the stage from San Luis to San Rafael after.

Starting in the 124th position, Jeff was inspired and hot riding and at the moment he arrived to the CP1 he was already 54th, that means he passed 70 competitors during the day! But from one moment to the other the situation changed, after refueling he’s gas tank, the bike got way heavy and he had to slow down after falling some times. Jeff could not ride on his bike until the start of the race, and the full tank made him go thru a difficult dunes section where he loosed much of the position gotten earlier in the day.

Anyway, the rider for El Martillo Racing finished in the 112th position moving ahead another 12 positions in the 2nd stage.

A rough and hard 3rd stage with 665 kilometers, 295 of connection and 373 kilometers in Special stage, will give a hard time to the riders so he had to rest well and be mental prepared to finally get used to the KTM 450 and get better results, what can for sure happen.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 PM   #409
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

BJ Baldwin Update via FB

Ballistic BJ Baldwin

Back in the Bivouack after a long day. We had vapor locking issues all day long.
For those of you that don't know what "Vapor Lock" is, it's when the fuel gets too hot and starts boiling. When the fuel boils and starts bubbling it stops moving through the fuel pump and the engine doesn't get any fuel.
This set us back quite a bit, winning the ‪#‎Dakar‬ ‪#‎Rally‬ is impossible from our current position but we are going to take it one day at a time and get a solid finish.
Sorry I haven't been updating you so much. The service here in the middle of the middle of no where, sucks. Lol
Special thanks to everyone wishing me a successful DakarRally. I've been reading all my comments. You guys are awesome.
‪#‎offroad‬ ‪#‎teamtoyo‬ @toyotires

------------

There is a short video posted on FB. Can't post it here.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:48 AM   #410
JR_FX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Why are the majority of the buggies suffering from vapor lock?
It was Guerlin, BJ, Robby, The Martillo...
No vapor lock for Sainz in a simillar vehicle.
JR_FX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #411
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3 Update from BJ

Ballistic BJ Baldwin

Day 3.
Good morning. Today's stage is very rocky, high elevation, with lots of storm damage. It's going to be a long day, hopefully we can have a clean day with no problems. Thanks for your continued support. Talk to you soon. ‪#‎teamtoyo‬ @toyotires ‪#‎dakar‬ ‪#‎dakarrally‬ ‪#‎teamdakarusa‬ ‪#‎offroad‬ ‪#‎rally‬ ‪#‎desertracing

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #412
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
tehdutchie, what is the story on this 'KTM' car pic you posted on the moto thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Am trying to confirm. Was spotted at Le Havre...

#372 at the start, finished 102nd where he has started;

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/rider/372.html
It was referred and answered on the firehose: It's an SMG raced by Francisco Pita, the Portuguese importer of KTM, hence the orange livery.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 AM   #413
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,995
Thumbs down Toast

Anyone know who (competitor #) hosted this years start barbecue in the auto category.
Seem's to always be one that goes up in smoke early... terrible way to see money burn, after all the effort - and so early in proceedings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 AM   #414
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Anyone know who (competitor #) hosted this years start barbecue in the auto category.
Seem's to always be one that goes up in smoke early... terrible way to see money burn, after all the effort - and so early in proceedings.
So it came to an end yesterday Dakar adventure of Issabayev. More photos later today in the gallery on RTLGP.nlpic.twitter.com/hMg0LZNFCS

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/w...ars.html#ancre

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2014/us/rider/368.html
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #415
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
As a casual Dakar fan (not doing the interweb watching or other means live) I'm using NBCSN via DVR.

So watching yesterdays stage & a couple of observations

1. Sam Posey talks slow, though I do like his voice but its s l o w

2. Robbie - Oh boy not again -Posey said something came off his car & he had to go back & get it . And Posey said he arrived late to the stage - How the fcuk does that happen?

3. El Matador - Do cars have a sensor that if someone is riding ur ass, it lets U know? And by rules U have to move over?

Hopefully, Robbie gets his shyte together.

And lastly, it was nice that NBCSN did a quick mention of Caselli.
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #416
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
I agree, I really wanted to like Posey narrating but he sort of left me hanging.
RG needs to find people to tow him faster so he is not as late.
Keep thinking of KC66 as we go through this epic race.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 AM   #417
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,995
Oh am I gonna pay for this...

Six million, five hundred and seventy five thousand dollars...
the cost of setting up a national stadium truck racing series to "test" your latest dakar racer...

Having your orange AMEX card cut in half at an Argentine roadside petrol station... PRICELESS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #418
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohmie View Post
I agree, I really wanted to like Posey narrating but he sort of left me hanging.
RG needs to find people to tow him faster so he is not as late.
Keep thinking of KC66 as we go through this epic race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
As a casual Dakar fan (not doing the interweb watching or other means live) I'm using NBCSN via DVR.

So watching yesterdays stage & a couple of observations

1. Sam Posey talks slow, though I do like his voice but its s l o w

2. Robbie - Oh boy not again -Posey said something came off his car & he had to go back & get it . And Posey said he arrived late to the stage - How the fcuk does that happen?

3. El Matador - Do cars have a sensor that if someone is riding ur ass, it lets U know? And by rules U have to move over?

Hopefully, Robbie gets his shyte together.

And lastly, it was nice that NBCSN did a quick mention of Caselli.
Posey has parkinson's

As for El Matador, he was racing the guy (who wasn't on his team), so no he doesn't have to let him by if he doesn't want to. Granted, if the guy caught him, then he's already ahead on time, but Carlos can staunch the bleeding by holding the guy up.

That said, intentionally holding someone up is frowned upon, and doing so early in the rally could result in the same driver doing El Matador just as dirty should the roles be reversed. Letting someone by today doesn't guarantee they'll let you by next week, but road blocking them almost certainly guarentees they'll try to return the favor.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #419
Luna Negra
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Luna Negra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #420
Hohmie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Thanks, I didn't realize Posey had such winning or even racing resume.
Hohmie is offline   Reply With Quote