Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #541
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,444
I'm not sure that "stoopid fast" has ever won a DAKAR? (Hmmm... maybe Ari Vatanen one year... but he was Finnish stoopid fast... not 'Murican).

Stopid fast does draw fan's, spectators and sponsors... so it has it's place in the El Dakaro mix as well (in AFrica DAKAR it would have been just plain "stupid", cause there was nobody in 90% of the places to watch/show/impress in any case.

I guess you can sum it up by saying; "stoopid fast" is well and good... depends on your goal I s'pose;

notoriety and exposure... or winning? (it is fair to say that sponsors think both are important).

So far the US brand of "stoopid fast" in the last decade of the DAKAR superbowl, is Zero from ten, and currently on about the 3rd down and 90...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 01-15-2014 at 12:27 PM
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #542
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
BJ is out, pretty much destroyed the car in a crash yesterday.

RG has a broken support truck...his only support truck, hopefully they get it fixed and make it to the biv tonight.

If those Mini's would switch to Toyo they could pick up the pace a bit and make it more exciting, I guess that's why there isn't any coverage in the USA...it's boring to watch.

Tortoise and the Hare, most of the Hares are out of contention...all that hop hop hopping around.
Hi Larry still got me on ignore? (our private joke)

Just wondering... do Toyo make an R16" / 33" tire?

The Mini's are Michelin(BFG) shod and run that spec because it is the maximum that the FIA T1 (4WD category) allow....

Whereas the 2WD T1's (and other T3 buggies) are permitted up to 37".

I agree the US teams Toyo tires seem to have a big advantage as far as resilliance goes in the tougher stages (geez X-Raid must a stack of busted rubber out back the size of a Nevada gaming establishment ).

Cheers!

Hope BJ comes back with the sorted EVR Chev/golf cart next year. I think they learned considerable amount this year.

RG gets the Gordini sorted, a second car (and hires MM or DS to run the bivouac so he can concentrate on driving) then he could be a bona fide contender in 2015 (the car seems very capable in an all round sense... when it is running trouble free). After ten years at the "rodeo" (the RDZ faithfulls favourite analogy ) the time for "if's" is probably over I reckon.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #543
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
notoriety and exposure... or winning? (it is fair to say that sponsors think both are important).
That is one of the big differences between Dakar moto and car. You don't see the Robby style high jinks with the motos. For the likes of Mini, BMW, SMG, VW, KTM, HRC, Speedbrain, Sherco, etc. it is serious business and performance/standings are the only thing that count. It is one thing to try to sell a vehicle by sponsoring at Dakar (success matters) and another to sell energy drinks to rednecks and remote control cars to overgrown kids.

For the likes of SPEED, Toyo, Traxxas, and Gordon's enterprises the notoriety, exposure, and entertainment value bring in dollars with or without actual success. Outside of Red Bull and a nice line on home cleaning chemicals I can't even remember who sponsors who in the motos.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #544
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
True, but there is no production Mini component on those race vehicles! Sort of false advertising to me?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #545
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
True, but there is no production Mini component on those race vehicles! Sort of false advertising to me?
Not gonna make a nascar comment. ..
Old 01-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #546
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Not gonna make a nascar comment. ..
You mean they aren't "stock cars"?!?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #547
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
That is one of the big differences between Dakar moto and car. You don't see the Robby style high jinks with the motos. For the likes of Mini, BMW, SMG, VW, KTM, HRC, Speedbrain, Sherco, etc. it is serious business and performance/standings are the only thing that count. It is one thing to try to sell a vehicle by sponsoring at Dakar (success matters) and another to sell energy drinks to rednecks and remote control cars to overgrown kids.

For the likes of SPEED, Toyo, Traxxas, and Gordon's enterprises the notoriety, exposure, and entertainment value bring in dollars with or without actual success. Outside of Red Bull and a nice line on home cleaning chemicals I can't even remember who sponsors who in the motos.
Not sure I agree completely that it is a diff. of Moto vs. Car

First, how many moto competitors have we seen pulling wheels up coming off the podium? Did you ever see the promotion video of Verhoven when he slipped the rear tire jumping off stage and fell. (That wasn't during the race though, but only weeks before if I recall correctly) How about those shots of Coma flying off dunes that were debated on here?

Second, while I do agree that success matters, I will contend that a lack of failure matters more. Two years ago, I was all set to convert a Yamaha, until I saw Jonah's electrical failure. Last year, and this one, I was all set to convert a Honda, until I saw all the stator failures.

With all that said though, there are many who already have their game faces on and they aren't playing around. I think it is more of a personality thing rather than a Moto vs. Car

Thinking of the advertising side of things....How cool is it that Robby Gordon, owner of Speed Energy Drink, is out playing in a car during the Dakar. Selling the shit out of his product, all the while writing it off as an advertising expense on his taxes each year.

You don't see the owner of Red Bull or Monster doing that (that I have seen at least).

I do remember Vegetarian Shoes!
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #548
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
"False advertisng...???" How's that Pete?

Under the rules as they are in the T1 4WD category for 2014, both the MINI and the TOYOTA Hilux conform to the rules as far as engine type, body shape, wheelbase/track and travel etc. Even with the fairly liberal interpretations we've seen in the past (lets face it, you needed to have one eye closed and a copy of a dealership brochure in the other hand - along with a big dose of imagination, to identify the Red Bull VW race Touregs as relatives of their production based cousins... same goes for the last Evolutions of Mitsubishi's Pajero and Lancer DAKAR racers). To be honest both Toyota and MINI have done a great job of making competitive (but identifiable) versions of their competition vehicle that are at least true in outward appearance to the production version. Sure the MINI (maxi) is a 10% larger scale version on steroids, that underneath the "girls car" skin is a spaceframed thoroughbred competition machine... but at least it LOOKS like a Mini Cooper.

Are you telling me that if BJ's EVR/Jeffries racer did NOT have the emblem on the grille, that anyone would identify it as Chevrolet product? Or that RG's Gordini or Hummbuggy had anything but a pssing (grille) resemblance to the production version of the H3...?

False advertising?

Do you have any idea what the X-Raid team could front with if they weren't confined to the (self imposed ideal) of keeping the MINI true in ppearance to the Cooper Countryman silhouette. (I do ).

Take away the constraints of wheel travel, wheel diameter, and engine placement/track/wheelbase and see what X-Raid (or Citröen, Puegeot or Mitsubishi for that matter) turn up to the gunfight with... back to the T3 4wd heydays of the 1990's.

And before the BiTD/SCORE collective pull the "Trophy Truck" trump card out... yeah sure, those things are "stoopid fast"... but it's yet to be ascertained that that brings the bacon home at DAKAR.

In an all gloves are off "open rule book" formula for DAKAR I am confident that X-Raid, Citröen, Pugeot, VW or ATS Studio (Mitsubishi) could turn up year one with a winning contender. It is my impression that even a dedicated US effort (not a... oh, we gotta build a car for the Dakar in six months to a fortnight - effort) would take two, maybe three years to topple the existing teams at the top of the heap. For sure the people an technology exist in the US racing scene... just to date that the efforts have seemed (by comparison) pretty ad hoc.

But back to the original subject... "False advertisng".

How much more than a "skin deep" resemblance is a WTCC car, a WRC car, a Super V8 Tourer or for that matter a NASCAR? I for one would like to see the premier category at Dakar go "open formula", and if they do and Puegeot (for example) turn up next year with a T1 2WD (same category as RG's Gordini) it sure as hell ain't gonna look like the girlfriend shopping car! Identifiable as a production version...? Don't think so?!

So maybe the DAKAR is headed back to F1 of the Desert - like the late 80's and 90's and they will leave the "production debate" to the T2 category punters?

Expect Puegeot and/or Citröen along wit X-Raid to bring a real machine gun to this sword fight then!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM   #549
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,701
Quote:
Hi Larry still got me on ignore? (our private joke)

Just wondering... do Toyo make an R16" / 33" tire?

The Mini's are Michelin(BFG) shod and run that spec because it is the maximum that the FIA T1 (4WD category) allow....

Whereas the 2WD T1's (and other T3 buggies) are permitted up to 37".

I agree the US teams Toyo tires seem to have a big advantage as far as resilliance goes in the tougher stages (geez X-Raid must a stack of busted rubber out back the size of a Nevada gaming establishment ).

Cheers!

Hope BJ comes back with the sorted EVR Chev/golf cart next year. I think they learned considerable amount this year.

Of course.

Toyo makes a tire for just about anything, I run their perf tires on my cars.

I'd like to see BJ back with the Duramax diesel.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #550
rallye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:

Not sure there will be too much SPEED and TRAXXIS stuff sold due to exposure this year ,his dismal performance and nearly zero coverage this year.
rallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM   #551
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
BJ Baldwin Stage 10 Report from FB

Day 11 After yesterday's stage we brought our ‪#‎Dakartruck‬, to service. After refueling the vehicle we discovered a massive hole in the fuel cell. In this ve...hicle the engine is mounted in the middle of the truck close to the fuel cell. The fuel cell mounts failed causing the fuel cell to apply pressure to the front of the engine's water pump which drilled a hole in the fuel cell during yesterday's race. Fortunately when the puncture occurred we had very little fuel left. Our only option was to attempt to patch the cell, replace the broken cell mounts, and try to continue. We don't know why the mounts broke and logic would tell me that if they could break once they could easily break again and rupture the already weakened fuel cell. The exhaust system on this vehicle is close to the fuel leak in the cell. A fuel leak could easily ignite and cause the car to burst into flames. Driving this truck in it's current condition is much too dangerous. With my family in mind this was an easy decision for me to discontinue the ‪#‎Rally‬. No reason to put myself in an extremely dangerous situation just to finish the rally. I know I will receive some criticism for my actions. That's fine, cast all the stones you like. My ‪#‎family‬ needs me, my son needs me. I am choosing to be around for him. I will see my son grow up, graduate, and have a family of his own. No race is more important than that. Special thanks to ‪#‎Jeffriesracing‬ and EVR for all of their hard work in preparing this ‪#‎racetruck‬ every day. They took on every challenge this ‪#‎truck‬ threw at them with incredible enthusiasm. I am truly blessed to have been a part of such a hard working dedicated group of people and I look forward to working with them in the future. 2015 ‪#‎Dakarrally‬ is only a year away and I'm already making preparations to compete again. This time with a more robust well tested truck that is better prepared for the rigors of ‪#‎Dakar‬. Thanks to everyone for all of your continued support. And a special thanks to all of my followers that stand by my decision to put my safety and my family first. Stay tuned for my 2014 event schedule. @toyotires ‪#‎teamtoyo‬ ‪#‎teamdakarusa‬ ‪#‎offroad
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #552
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:

So far the US brand of "stoopid fast" in the last decade of the DAKAR superbowl, is Zero from ten, and currently on about the 3rd down and 90...
I know you're not suggesting Robby Punts!!!!!

Possibly a Year long Huddle with some development, testing, and competition would be in order instead, right....
Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #553
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post

Possibly a Year long Huddle with some development, testing, and competition would be in order instead, right....
If the top step of the podium is actually what you're talking about, it's not a year long huddle that's needed but a year round effort. Everyone else is competing in all the major rallies. Rubby dabbles in all kinds of stuff and shows up at Dakar, puts on an entertaining show, and tells the world "if only". I love the guy and would like to see him succeed but winning Dakar is not a part time job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #554
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
If the top step of the podium is actually what you're talking about, it's not a year long huddle that's needed but a year round effort. Everyone else is competing in all the major rallies. Rubby dabbles in all kinds of stuff and shows up at Dakar, puts on an entertaining show, and tells the world "if only". I love the guy and would like to see him succeed but winning Dakar is not a part time job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
T'was Tongue in Cheek, kind of like Rubby punting, hence the "Development, Testing and Competition" phases of said year long huddle with the competition part directed towards a Rallye Raid effort (as opposed to a WRC effort that is sometimes associated with "Major rallies"). I tried to craft it in an American Football sense as a response to TSC's "3rd and 90" comment.

But enough of the bickering, how's about the Team F5 work this year, as always Top Notch!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #555
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Howard Cosell says; "...And that sportsfans... is another epic day in sports..."

SPEED goes to the SUPERBOWL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post

Nope... more than likely the coach/quarterback will elect to run with it...

3rd down and 90,,, twenty seconds remain on the game clock.

The ball is snapped, he drops back again (like so many time before) into the pocket, cocks his mighty arm, looking for an opening, a reciever, a running back? But the opposition defensive line stands relentless. He dazzles momentarily with some brilliant footwork. The last of the die-hard orange crush coloured crowd are still in the stands, on their feet screaming - though the majority of the others have left the stands since well before half time.

He feins to the left, avoids one tackle, runs to the right and dodges another... all the time scouting upfield for a reciever, a lateral... hell even a "hail mary" pass...

With the clock winding down, he drops further back into his own end zone, running out of options now, multiple flags have been thrown on the play, they're out of time outs and the defensive line of "MINI" linemen close the wall around the QB... like rabbit's eyes in a GMC fullsize's headlight... the end is imminent.

As the umpire slowly sifts through the dogpile of monster coloured defensive linemen, at the bottom he finds the valliant RG#77 Jersey and helmet. Torn, tattered and bruised they take the ball from the clutches of his cold clammy grasp.

The helmet is removed, and with a swig of the sponsor beverage, a glint in his eye and wry smile from the enigmatic California kid smile, he says;

"Next year... we're gonna come to Disneyland and win this deal...

If we..."

Quote:

Quote:

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 12:42 AM