Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 AM   #106
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Anvil View Post
Giniel is a super nice focused bloke. He trains hard and is a great ambassador for our sport and any motorsport. Oh and the fact that He drives for Imperial who our company is a part of is also cool .
I had the great pleasure of meeting and working with Ginny and his co-dawg Dirk when VW brought their Touraegs over to run the Baja 500. Ginny & Dirk along with Mark Miller and Ralph Pitchford did an awesome job with the limited suspension the Touraegs had. Ginny did really well but he was not a happy camper, Ralph complained that Mark had a much higher pain threshold than the rest of them! Jajajajaja! BTW Dirk is a former KTM rally guy and Ralph is a hardcore bike guy too (I think he owns a Beta dealership in SA?).
Old 12-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #107
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
I thought I got lost for a second
I guess some folk just like to live in 2013...
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #108
ArthDuro
quarantined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
JLS was winning ASO's Dakar years ago in an American built buggy he called a "Schlesser".

He called 1999 and 2000 if I remember correctly
and it was the only person to do so in a buggy so far and to make them successful at the front of the field.

He had to lobby hard to achieve this and got pretty tired of it I would guess, lets say ASO was not so friendly to him.
+ momento mori +

ArthDuro screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 03:05 PM
Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #109
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,104
JLS... the other side of the coin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
He had to lobby hard to achieve this and got pretty tired of it I would guess, lets say ASO was not so friendly to him.
It's true, JLS was well versed in lobbying the FIA (with the FFSA in his corner) for concessions to the rulebook in his attempts all through the 90's to take the DAKAR title in the various manifestations of his 2WD Schlesser buggies.

When - in 1999 - he finally achieved this and backed up in 2000 it was as much relief (for JLS, the FIA, the other manufacturers and the rally raid world in general) as anything that his goal was finally realised.

Then THIS happened;

http://vimeo.com/60335140

Prior to this incident, JLS was always portrayed (mostly) in the public's eye, as the charismatic saviour faire "leetle french privateer"competing solo against the might of the factory teams - At least this was the speil whenever the camera was rolling. In reality he had never been a stranger to controversy - often behind the scenes or the closed doors of the FIA commission.

After the Masouoka incident in 2001, a lot of the shine wore off the JLS badge... both from the officialdom, the competition and the fans... which in the end means (logically) the sponsors also, perhaps take some distance?

JLS is a great innovator/engineer and made the 2WD buggy platform viable against the might of Citröen and Mitsubishi back in those days, on what was - by comparison - a relatively modest budget. He had some of the best #2 drivers in his team over the years - Jutta Kleinschmidt and Jose Maria Servia - both drove for the Schlesser team and garnered good results.

So like everything in life... there are two (or more) sides to the story?

In some ways I see RG's campaign the last several years, to be similar to that which JLS waged in the 90's... Will 2014 be the year that Gordon breaks through and takes the 2WD cause to the top of the dias ahead of the 4WD factories?

The answer will come in january.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #110
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I had the great pleasure of meeting and working with Ginny and his co-dawg Dirk when VW brought their Touraegs over to run the Baja 500. Ginny & Dirk along with Mark Miller and Ralph Pitchford did an awesome job with the limited suspension the Touraegs had. Ginny did really well but he was not a happy camper, Ralph complained that Mark had a much higher pain threshold than the rest of them! Jajajajaja! BTW Dirk is a former KTM rally guy and Ralph is a hardcore bike guy too (I think he owns a Beta dealership in SA?).
Yip Ralph used to be the Beta importer not anymore. He used to be a top motorbike racer. And was involved with one of Alfie Cox's long time sponsors Natro Freight in some way.
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #111
Tau Anvil
African by trade

It feels like yesterday I watched Servia pull that stunt. I would have killed him if it was me!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 02:24 AM   #112
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
It feels like yesterday I watched Servia pull that stunt. I would have killed him if it was me!!!!
It was Schlesser who pulled the "stunt (Servia was jsu instructed by the team owner - JLS - to execute it). JMS pondered long if he should - in fact - do so, but I have it on good report that he was presented with a "pull the stunt... or lose your ride" type of ultimatum.

Anyway, that boat sailed for José Maria after the fallout from the incident in any case. Both Schlesser cars got hour penalties that pushed them down the ranks for the finish of that DAKAR... but the stigma (of what all recognize was orchestrated by Schlesser) followed both JLS and JMS for a number of years after in the rally raid circles.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-19-2013, 02:58 AM   #113
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,832
Quote:
Maimon tried that barehanded against the uglybuggy!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #114
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Analogy between Schlesser and Robby Gordon stands, more or less, but I have always thought of Shclesser as a malicious cartoon villain and Gordon as just a good ol' redneck .
Balkan Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #115
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Maimon tried that barehanded against the uglybuggy!

I am from Africa here we throw a stone like you call a cab. I would have planted one on his windscreen

I hate bad sportsmanship, so for me it was it as I was a HUGE JLS fan before this.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #116
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
I hate bad sportsmanship,
That.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #117
ArthDuro
quarantined

Ah yes and the 2001 and controversy.... well there was no controversy
in simplest of words it was down right cheating

The previous years were kind of lame for me as I was super into the cars and really followed the race closely, and it really felt like the buggies were given something special that the mitsus and nissans couldnt quite match fully.

2001 took that over the top. What Masuoka suffered was not just loosing the rally but being denied reward for one of the most heroic drives I can remember (the buggys were a strong team now).

Jutta got to win and this was big but for me always somehow overshadowed by what happened.

This event also led to the fury from the three diamonds and the cars they brought to the game following 2001 are still some of my fav raid cars ever except the group "b" based behemoths of the previous decade. And part of one of the most successful and innovative rally raid programs.

And JLS was a privateer but one with deep pockets and loads of influence.
I don't really like to compare RG to him as RG was always endlessly more entertaining and has far more flare for the spectacular then JLS could ever muster and their cars besides the space frame and RWD are eons apart.
Now I am not trying to mar JLS completely as he was a visionary of sorts but played a game that was since the begging a very one sided affair.
Not about winning or bettering the sport but about how to change the conditions to benefit him...He was stuck on his goal of winning with his concept that he basically managed to change the rules so much to put him in such a position. His determination indeed is to be commended but not his sportsmanship.
His cars were also lame looking in my mind...
+ momento mori +
Old 12-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #118
ArthDuro
quarantined

Quote:
I am from Africa here we throw a stone like you call a cab. I would have planted one on his windscreen

I hate bad sportsmanship, so for me it was it as I was a HUGE JLS fan before this.
I quit smoking Gauloises after this!
+ momento mori +
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #119
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,178
probably why JLS races the Africa Eco race instead.. when was the last Dakar he entered anyway?
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #120
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
probably why JLS races the Africa Eco race instead.. when was the last Dakar he entered anyway?
I think 2007... he's never made the trip to South America for the new El Dakaro.

Quote:

Quote: