Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #121
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,188
funny JLS is popping up everywhere

http://www.marathonrally.com/news/23908.0.html
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #122
silverstone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Jls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
probably why JLS races the Africa Eco race instead.. when was the last Dakar he entered anyway?

When I did the Moroccan Rally (Shamrock Rally) in 08 I had a small one on one with JLS ( yes he will talk to you) I asked that question about the Dakar in S/A and would we see him over there. His reply then to me was "that the stages are more set up like a WRC stages which he had no interest in with his buggies" now that was back in 08!!

I personal like JLS he's intelligent and knows the sport and not afraid to challenge the ASO or any other organization for that matter.

Yes, I would like to see JLS in the Dakar, between RG and JLS I think they could stir the pot up even more with 2wd buggies. However, as we all know JLS is heavily involved in the African Eco Race which again he is favorite to win.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to ADV inmates.

my face is laying on the pavement, tasting something awful, i hate it when that happens...
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #123
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,164
TSC's DAKAR F5ormguide - AUTO's 2014

· PETERHANSEL STEPHANE (FRA)
· COTTRET JEAN PAUL (FRA)
MINI

Defending champs, Perfecthansel with 11 victories all up to his name, last two in a row with the same (and biggest) factory team in the event behind him, and one of the all time best Dakar navigators sitting beside him. Statistically they are the team to beat.

· DE VILLIERS GINIEL (ZAF)
· VON ZITZEWITZ DIRK (DEU)
TOYOTA

The Sth African driver is my moral (sentiment) favourite to take a win. I think that the Imperial/Overdrive Toyota team – with Glynn Hall at the helm – have done a remarkable job with the Hilux platform in the three years they have run, to produce what is arguably the best “bang for buck” competitive package of the top teams. Compared to the bankroll the MINI’s have had thrown at them by comparison… and VW or Mitsubishi before them. That Giniel can methodically push for a win with pace, consistency and reliability, to back up his title from 2009 would be a great reard for the teams sustained efforts. Could well be the last year the Hilux is viable?

· ROMA NANI (ESP)
· PERIN MICHEL (FRA)
MINI

Third pick for the win and a good bet for a podium, is X-Raids eternal quiet achiever. A good solid and fast/reliable driver, Nani’s desrt skills were honed as a member of the lead pack in the moto category for several years . he has one Dakar moto title as proof. With Michel Perin as Navigator (one of THE most winningest co-drivers in the sport), I think the 304 MINI will go about it’s job in a tradesman like manner for the first week, and show their cards in week two.

· AL-ATTIYAH NASSER (QAT)
· CRUZ LUCAS (ESP)
MINI

Nasser, what to say about him? As part of the VW team he had some great battles with Carlos. They were a lot like the demographic at KTM with Coma/Despres. They pushed one another to yet a higher level. The result? 2010 el Matador won by a scarce two minute victory after a knock down/drag out battle (that could have ended distaster for both). 2011 el Qatari gets his bedouin head after Matador landed on his off a steep embankment. Since the VW circus tent folded up, Nasser has looked at and tried many (any?) option available to him, in order to get back in the January big show, with a shot at the title. No long term plans or strategy, no. Bam… he want’s a ride he can go out and win in, first time out (even if that’s not what the PR blurbs say, secretly – I think that is what burns undeneath in the man).

So, how has that worked for him? 2012 with the Hummer – last minute deal with RG’s team Abysmal fail. 2013 and a hurried project with the Jeffries Bugglies, som Qatar money and collaboration with the Red Bull matador (who I never was convinced showed much confidence in the program*). Showed promising speed…lacking in development, infrastructure and reliability… but eventually… fail! *see Carlos bio.

So both Qatari Quid and RedBull Sainz go looking for other pastures. Nasser settles on the obvious choice, if money is no option – buy a seat on the winning factory squad.

I don’t think that merely obtaining a place on the X-Raid MINI firing squad will do it for Nasser. Not that the team or vehicle will afford him anything less than the tools for the job, but there is not “cohesion”. It’s another “10th hour deal”. Up until Sept./October, he was still engaged in his Qatari Buggly project… now mothballed/sold or something – depending on who’s e-mail you read.

When Nasser was part of VW, it was an 18 month a year program. With X-Raid, he is just a hired (paying?) mercinary. He will be fast, he will be in the mix – especially week one, but I don’t think he has the same “feeling” within the framework as Peterhansel. One way or another it will fall short of the line and I don’t believe Al Attiyah will be on podium by rally end.

· GORDON ROBBY (USA)
· WALCH KELLON (USA)
Gordini HST

What would Dakar in Sth America be without good ol’ RG. Master of showmanship, PR, fantastic team owner/engineer/driver/media spokesperson/cum-bivouac parking valet. The guy is a powerhouse of energy, ability, enthusiasm and sheer driving talent. In the field there is arguably not a faster driver across off road terrain. Crtainly not a driver with the broad reportiore and resumé of racing experience/wins (NASCAR, CART/INDY Car, GTP, Offroad Short Course,Stadium and SCORE/Baja offroad racing).

Now it sounds like I am one of the rampant Planet Robby fanboyz out there? I have to admit, I have always admired the guys driving talent, and the “alternate” thinking/technology he brings to DAKAR. Yeah, I am a fan (have been since I first saw him at the wheel of the PPI Toyota Stadium Truck and the BFG/Veneble Racing Class 8 Ford F-150 back in the late 80’s), BUT as far as his Dakar program goes – I think he speads himself (personally) too thin. The guy must have an adrenalin infused version of ADD.

He is into EVERYTHING – as my first sentence alludes to. When does the guy f5#¤ing well sleep. We see him drive like a demon all day, then gives some of the best (controversy rousing) post stage interviews, then he gets to the bivouac and has to re-position/parc his rig that the team staff have managed to bog/park in the wrong place (it has happened more than just the once apparently). Then there are more interviews, overseeing the car prep – sh¤t we’ve even seen him with the angle grinder/welde/wrenches in his hand at 2:00 am in the morning?!

Yeah, he is a hands on guy, yeah he is a great engineering/knows his car backwards and can fix it in the field with an aluminium SPEED drink can, some wire and a pair of side cutters if need be. This endears him to a legion of fans that are so swept up in the whole deal,that it borders on worship (and I do get why… just watch a Glamis/Dumont dunes video on youtube some day). But has any of this got him a win in the seven years (since leaving the VW squad after 2005) that he has chased the grail?

Bottom line, I think RG needs to delegate more, focus on winning (beating Peterhansel) less, and get on with the job of doing what he does better than almost anyone else in the world; ie getting a motorvehicle from A to B over shitty terrain as fast and effectively as possible. If they get the teamwork/nav in the cockpit working together well*, and Kellon can get a bead on the waypoints, RG find the good passages on the dunes. I am sure that they will win stages and set some blistering times on week one.

*This is where Perfecthansel and J-PC are awesome.

Ultimately I think (once again) that the lateness of the HST thing will again prove the achillies heel. Despite all the “hush hush” and secret/secret, claims theat the “mule” has been tested, it’s based on proven SST technology etc. etc. etc. that the devout followeres over on Planet Robby swear blind is gospel. Fact is that the HST Gordini, in Dakar spec’ has not competed in a rally against it’s competion under competition conditions prior to this.

Statistically speaking, something will fall short. RG will push for the win… Being just one car, in consideration of his “lone wolf” style – I don’t see as the big achilles, but something will “miss”, which will mean a DNF or (at best) a fight back in the second half to finish just off the podium… complete with an interview along the lines of; “… but if we hadn’t lost those XXXX amount of time, when turbo encabulator lost it’s spurgeon drive, then we’d have been winning this thing by eight minutes…”

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #124
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Thumb TSC's DAKAR F5ormguide - AUTO's 2014 cont'd.

· SAINZ CARLOS (ESP)
· GOTTSCHALK TIMO (DEU)
BUGGY

El matador has lost some of the Bullfighter in him these last few years (since falling in the gully). I was never convinced that he was confident in the Buggly project with Nasser/Jeffries last year – you could see it in his eyes. And proof of the pudding, that both Qatari/Matador bailed on the Buggly to follow other avenues confirms this.

Carlos has thrown his RedBull cap in the ring with SMG… another 2WD buggy platform. Will it be better for him? Certainly the Speed Gauche program at SMG has several years under their belt. Chicherit* showed last year that the car is quick (*interesting though that Guerlain now has an 11th hour drive over at the EVR/Jeffries team now?).

I don’t think Carlos driving style is suited to the buggy platform… maybe carlos thinks the same. He seems to be saying the right things, going through the motions… but for me the El matador emotion no longer there.

Prediction: Some top five stage times in week one, and some incident to facilitate a gracious DNF in week two… I can’t ener imagine Sainz ever finishing in 20th place or so. Like the bullfighter – it’s either a glorious victory, or let the piccadors finish the job.

· TERRANOVA ORLANDO (ARG)
· FIUZA PAULO (PRT)
MINI

· HOLOWCZYC KRZYSZTOF (POL)
· ZHILTSOV KONSTANTIN (RUS)
MINI

· VASILYEV VLADIMIR (RUS)
· YEVTYEKHOV VITALIY (UKR)
MINI

· GARAFULIC BORIS (CHL)
· PICARD GILLES (FRA)
MINI

The X-raid armada… any of these four cars have driver/navigator combination that can put a MINI in a top five position by rally end. It’s like Darth Vaders droid stormtroopers (hey… We just gotta see if we can get Sven to put on a mask and do a Vader voice over during event!?)… One falls, and the others just keep coming at you.

I THINK THAT THE THREE PODIUM PLACES WILL BE FILLED BY SOME COMBINATION OF THE CREWS LISTED ABOVE.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 12-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #125
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

TSC's DAKAR F5ormguide - AUTO's 2014 cont'd.

There are a number of other teams that will make the battle within top ten interesting;

· SOUSA CARLOS (PRT)
· RAMALHO MIGUEL (PRT)
HAVAL

· LAVIEILLE CHRISTIAN (FRA)
· GARCIN JEAN-PIERRE (FRA)
HAVAL

The two HAVAL cars are interesting. Developed over the last two years, they are (as I understand) an evolution of the X-Raid X3CCR BMW’s (under the slightly disguised bodywork). Sousa is a seasoned campaigner with years at Mitsubishi RalliArt team in African Dakars, then a couple years in an outside sponsored/semi-factory VW Toureg and now the Haval project. Lavielle is former lead driver for the DESSOUDE Nissan (France) team, and has some rapid stage results in the ex-factory NISSAN proto/pick ups – similar to those that Ari Vatanen/Colin McRae/DeVilliers ran years ago.

Both car and driver crews should be able to poke their way along in top ten without too much drama. But “drama” is always what crops up. One of the cars probably (statistically) won’t finish.

· BALDWIN ROBERT (USA)
· CODY QUINN ALEXIS (USA)
EVR

· CHICHERIT GUERLAIN (FRA)
· BRUCY JEAN (FRA)
EVR

The scuttlebut is that Eric Vigoreaux has stepped back as the driver of the #320 and Guerlain Chicherit will take up the seat (EV as team manager) with BJ Baldwin in the #318.

Chicherit has long time KTM rider and Dakar moto experienced – Jean Brucy - as his navigator. I can well see the situation that the euro pair take the lead role within the team, over the US crew… especially if “off piste/dunes” on the menu.

Two interesting vehichles these EVR/Jeffries 2WD “truggies”. Along with the (yet to be seen) Gordini HST, I have a gut feeling that we will see more of these “WD super offroaders in coming years. The EVR outfit will show potential, learn much and be a contender (with RG and SMG) for the 2WD class trophy… but not the outright podium – this year.

· ALVAREZ LUCIO (ARG)
· GRAUE BERNARDO (ARG)
FORD

· VISSER CHRISTIAAN (ZAF)
· BADENHORST JACOB (ZAF)
FORD

Two very well engineeered FORD Rangers, built/based on a very similar platform to the Overdrive Hilux’s. Could be a case of “too late to the party” though… with the tide of the FIA rulebook turning, this year could be the last year that the 4WD/V8 super production pick-up is competitive outright. (though I do see it as the ultimate privateer/renta a factory racer concept… Overdrive have leased enough Hilux V8’s to various drivers with good results to prove it).

· SPINELLI GUILHERME (BRA)
· HADDAD YOUSSEF (BRA)
MITSUBISHI

These guys deserve a mention, if not for their previous results, but also the fact that they represent the last of the ex-factory Mitsubishi effort, in their ASX mitsu. They have had some strong results and some bad fortune over the years in the Sth American DAKAR, law of averages say’s they are due for a top ten finish again.

· TEN BRINKE BERNHARD (NLD)
· BAUMEL MATTHIEU (FRA)
HRX

· VAN LOON ERIK (NLD)
· ROSEGAAR WOUTER (NLD)
HRX
· WEVERS ERIK (NLD)
· LURQUIN FABIAN (BEL)
HRX

The dutfch team effort bring a combination of ex-factory machinery, combined with some well financed gentlemen Dakar pilots and do a damned fine job of rushing around amongst the top twenty. Expect the same in 2014.

· MALYSZ ADAM (POL)
· MARTON RAFAL (POL)
OVERDRIVE

· DABROWSKI MAREK (POL)
· CZACHOR JACEK (POL)
OVERDRIVE

Every Eurosport viewers favourite ski jumper-cum-desert racer Adam Malysz joins the ADV Rider f5anclub favourites Marek Dabrowski and Jacek Czachor (both ex- top 20 moto riders) in an all polish effort pair of pick-ups, backed by overdrive.

· ZHOU YONG (CHN)
· PAN HONG YU (CHN)
MINI

Last but not least… Zhou Yong – in an X-Raid rental MINI. In the past he was team mate to Sousa at the Chinese HAVAL team. He has a handfull of top 20-25 position finishes in the auto category (best is a 19th) over the last several years. For 2013 he signed on at X-Raid in an effort to get further up the ladder. I think the result will be similar as in the past, despite the new car.

That is my interpretation of the main players for the auto battle. Now wait until the f5ifth of january to see the ball of string unravel…

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #126
bearorso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
· CHICHERIT GUERLAIN (FRA)
· BRUCY JEAN (FRA)

So, is that THE Jean Brucy, the rider (well, one of, but the most successful) of this magnificent motorcycle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fujf6cHFB6Q

There are a few reasons to despise Honda - what they have done with their "All 4 Strokes, All The Time" agenda, is the most prominent of them.

Think what a 2014 version of the EXP 2 would be like. Cripes, they could probably 'liberate' it from the Twin Ring Motegi Museum, and, with minimal upgrades, use it to win, with an Alien On Board. Well, at least the clear front fairing has been made use of, again. They kept something from the effort.
bearorso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #127
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

^^^Jean Brucy... that's him.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 AM   #128
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,317
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #129
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Yup. Watch this space for the coverage.

The eurosport feeds don't work any more, hopefully somebody will come up with the new ones. France4 still works, their coverage was really good last year.
The feeds were a big help last year, much appreciated. Hopefully these pop back up for 2014.

We also learned a lot about Snooker.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #130
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
I've seen Robby's new vehicle. The competition should be concerned. It's bad ass.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #131
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC61 View Post
I've seen Robby's new vehicle. The competition should be concerned. It's bad ass.

Tease! Did he make you pinky swear you are not going to divulge anything else? Hehe

I saw the dyno vid on planetrobby and one thing is for sure it sounds as mean as all his other creations.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #132
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Tease! Did he make you pinky swear you are not going to divulge anything else? Hehe

I saw the dyno vid on planetrobby and one thing is for sure it sounds as mean as all his other creations.
Near open exhaust will do that...

Funny how rule formulas often give unexpected results. Smaller create engine with larger restrictor...

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #134
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,188
Martillo Racing

Martiillo racing's Dodge is on its way from North America, sure hope they shook it down enough !

Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 12:45 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #135
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
When - in 1999 - he finally achieved this and backed up in 2000 it was as much relief (for JLS, the FIA, the other manufacturers and the rally raid world in general) as anything that his goal was finally realised.

Then THIS happened;

http://vimeo.com/60335140

Prior to this incident, JLS was always portrayed (mostly) in the public's eye, as the charismatic saviour faire "leetle french privateer"competing solo against the might of the factory teams - At least this was the speil whenever the camera was rolling. In reality he had never been a stranger to controversy - often behind the scenes or the closed doors of the FIA commission.

After the Masouoka incident in 2001, a lot of the shine wore off the JLS badge... both from the officialdom, the competition and the fans... which in the end means (logically) the sponsors also, perhaps take some distance?

The answer will come in january.
Proper tactics Starting early for a little penalty He did get a large penalty months later, no?

I wonder Troy, how you got the info that JLS is/was controversial 'behind FIA's closed doors'. Did you attend? Or where part of FIA?