CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman View Post
Turn the bike off.
Take the helmet off.
Put the side stand down.
Do not put your hands in your pocket to retrieve anything, how do I know what your going after.
Keep your hands on the bar.
Tell the Officer if you are armed and where it is.

You dont have to do any of these things but Tasers really hurt and bullets hurt more till you die.

Polite never failed to get more respect than being an asshole, and I rarely wrote that person a citation.
Agreed on all counts.....

If given the choice tho, I'd rather be tasered than pepper sprayed....

Of all the bikes I stopped, I have only written two of em....one of em tried to run and dumped it, and the second one talked himself into it.

Guy had no tail lights......my plan had been to tell him of the violation, and follow him home. I asked for his registration, insurance card, and driver's license. Being that he prided himself on being a 2nd year law student, and eager to share his knowledge of the law, he explained to me that being as how the stop was for an issue related to the vehicle and not him, that all he was required to show was a registration.

I explained to him that he was stopped for a clear violation of the State's Uniform Traffic Ordinances, and as such he was required to show those documents that are supposed to accompany the vehicle and vehicle operator......again, he felt the need to share his vast knowledge of the legal system, and refused to provide a d/l or insurance card.

In the end, he refused to provide the requested and legally required documents.

He went to jail pending receipt of proper ID, and the bike went to the impound lot for no proof of insurance.

CSI screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 11:43 PM
CSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #62
Benduro
Accountabilibuddy

Oddometer: 771
Classic!
Well, I'd say that guy learned a valuable lesson CSI.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #63
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Then his investigation has gone beyond a simple equipment violation. You conveniently did not quote the part where I said a simple equipment violation. If he is checking for an endorsement, that has nothing whatsoever to do with a light out. He doesn't need to know if you have an endorsement to cite you for a light out.
Yes, he will most likely check your license but that's a different investigation that he has decided to do that has nothing to do with the original equipment violation.
That does not hold true in all states. In Texas you can be arrested for an equipment violation at the discretion of the officer. In fact you can be arrested for everything except speeding less than 20 over. Oh and don't sign the ticket? They can take you to jail.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #64
Budman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
WTF do you really know?

Quote:
Then his investigation has gone beyond a simple equipment violation. You conveniently did not quote the part where I said a simple equipment violation. If he is checking for an endorsement, that has nothing whatsoever to do with a light out. He doesn't need to know if you have an endorsement to cite you for a light out.
Yes, he will most likely check your license but that's a different investigation that he has decided to do that has nothing to do with the original equipment violation.
In NC if you are operating a motor vehicle and you have an equipment violation or any infraction the Officer has the authority to ask for your license and registration. You do not have the option to say no. That elevates the infraction to a misdemeanor and off to jail you go. Now do you want to be an asshole and go to jail or just take off the helmet, let him tell you the light is out and go on your way.
Budman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #65
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,939
Quote:
Even with a simple equipment violation you still need to prove your who you are. I rememeber talking to a LEO friend of the family years ago who said a lot of stolen cars had things like broken tail lights and other simple things you and I wouldn't think twice about.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #66
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As for making his job difficult, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't give a shit if he made my job difficult. So is life.
Screw unto others before they screw unto you?

They can make your life way more miserable then you can make theirs.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #67
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post

He went to jail pending receipt of proper ID, and the bike went to the impound lot for no proof of insurance.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #68
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 3,986
Refer to the thread, "Barney Fife is alive and well..." in Ride Reports...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #69
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 6,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Agreed on all counts.....

If given the choice tho, I'd rather be tasered than pepper sprayed....

Of all the bikes I stopped, I have only written two of em....one of em tried to run and dumped it, and the second one talked himself into it.

Guy had no tail lights......my plan had been to tell him of the violation, and follow him home. I asked for his registration, insurance card, and driver's license. Being that he prided himself on being a 2nd year law student, and eager to share his knowledge of the law, he explained to me that being as how the stop was for an issue related to the vehicle and not him, that all he was required to show was a registration.

I explained to him that he was stopped for a clear violation of the State's Uniform Traffic Ordinances, and as such he was required to show those documents that are supposed to accompany the vehicle and vehicle operator......again, he felt the need to share his vast knowledge of the legal system, and refused to provide a d/l or insurance card.

In the end, he refused to provide the requested and legally required documents.

I was taking Law Enforcement classes many years ago. Local PD captain was teaching one of the classes. He made a statement in class that I never forgot.

He said "you have the right to resist an unlawful arrest... I don't recommend that you ever do that. But you do have the right to do so".

Makes a ton of sense... Battle, war, that sort of thing.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote