Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 05:56 AM   #166
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post

[The AF-XIED] improves fueling by a small amount by guaranteeing more fuel to every cell [in the fuel map].

[T]he 3.5 bar [fuel pressure] regulator adds 8% to every cell in the map...
Those statements aren't even close to being true.

I've been following this alternator mod project. Neat. So the higher battery voltage gets the starter motor turning up from the initial 0rpm significantly quicker?

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #167
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Jim's hacked version of my comments is not accurate. Here is the context of the very small portion of this thread on batteries to which he is referring.

Quote:
... That would let me swap the 3 bar regulator. Maybe that's over my time limit.
RB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
I have one and have been procrastinating putting it in. In your opinion how much improvement can be expected over the stock 1150 one.?
Quote:
I'm not sure most riders would notice a difference even with an AF-XIED or lc-1 but It improves fueling by a small amount by guaranteeing more fuel to every cell. Without a lambda shifting device, there wouldn't be an appreciable long-term benefit, as you know.

Here's my thinking:

The fuel tables are set up for gasoline, no ethanol at 14.7:1 in the Closed Loop area. I'm running ethanol (needs 4% more fuel) and lambda 0.94 (6% more fuel).

Adaptation seems to do a good job of moving the map the 10% needed over time but I don't know the exact formulas. Since the 3.5 bar regulator adds 8% to every cell in the map and since the 0.96 lambda target plus ethanol roughly equals the fuel increase, the role of adaptation is back to fine tuning.

RB
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #168
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Those statements aren't even close to being true.

Please post your information to the contrary.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #169
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Got it Roger.

Curious where the AFR/Lambda convo is going to go however...
Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #170
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
Got it Roger.

Curious where the AFR/Lambda convo is going to go however...
Nowhere ... I'm assuming he spent too much time in a small room with epoxy.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #171
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020

Have to be honest the statements made had me curious about how you were using lambda (fuel independent) and AFR (fuel specific) together with the Motronic given we have wideband O2 sensors... Don't really understand why the higher pressure regulator is giving a richer mixture if using the same size injectors. Not trying to stir the pot.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #172
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Quote:
Old 11-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #173
terryckdbf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 917
Is not the IICE Air an IAT offset device, the same as a Boosterplug or HTC?

Somebody built a better mousetrap , deal with it.

Terry
terryckdbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #174
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryckdbf View Post
Is not the IICE Air an IAT offset device, the same as a Boosterplug or HTC?

Somebody built a better mousetrap , deal with it.

Terry
Old 11-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #175
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,210
Quote:
I can tell you that I spent a lot of time in a small room in our basment running gas model airplane engines...loved that nitro. I also painted many a model plane with butrate and nitrate airplane dope.

Fortunately my seizures are infrequent.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #176
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Back to batteries ...

The alternator is installed and the belt tensioned, the ABS reinstalled and all the brake circuits bled (side benefit, my front and rear brakes are firmer). I've reinstalled the add-on pressure regulator but removed the BoosterPlug. The fuel tank and all the plastic parts went back on too. The battery had been disconnected during surgery so it was charged to 100%. As a result of the disconnect the Motronic was reset, so I did the twist-the-throttle thing.

With everything back on and the bike cold-soaked in my garage, I ran a cold-start test. Fast idle lever to mid-dent, press the button, Er, er, vroom--1.5 seconds to start and the idle jumped immediately to 1400 RPM with a stable spark advance and dwell. Just what I was hoping for when I started the thread.

The bottom line to this whole exercise: a bad lower plug, weak stick coils and a 67% charged, sulfated Odyssey PC680. The battery was restored with 6 Odyssey specified discharge cycles and the alternator output boosted by about 0.7 volts with the addition of a diode in the alternator's voltage regulator. I will charge it as needed with an odyssey approved charger.
RB
Old 11-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #177
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 200
Gotta love it when you go in deep, get back out and the plan comes together!
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #178
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,989
Quote:
The old grip heater that I re-purposed as a portable vaporizer will work much better with this alternator mod. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #179
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

While contributing to an ABS thread (here) I noticed that the GS-911 reports battery voltage and the voltage at the top of the coils VIGN.

VBAT is 14.56 volts and VIGN is reported as 13.8 volts. That's a pretty big drop across the key. I think I'm beginning to see why they added the second Load relay to later R1150 dual-sparks.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #180
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is what Odyssey says for maintaining a PC680 or other Odyssey AGM battery if your alternator voltage is below 14.5 volts, for example an R1150 which has a 14V regulator that outputs about 13.7 volts much of the time.

The recommendation would be proper consistent charge maintenance when the motorcycle is not in use with an ODYSSEY program approved 12V charger/maintainer from the list of approved chargers linked on the ODYSSEY website Product Support page. Any of the listed maintainer chargers can be used to maintain the battery indefinitely without harming the battery.

We would also recommend turning the headlamp on for 1-2 minutes after parking the motorcycle but before initiating charge to ensure that the voltage reading is fairly accurate and the charger will "see" the true resting voltage of the battery and charge accordingly. If the battery appears to be discharged according to the chargers initial startup testing, it should go through the entire charging profile with maximum constant current initially which the battery will love especially if it is at least 40% of the 10 hour amp hour rating of the battery. The OMAX-6A-1B is a 6A ODYSSEY Ultimizer charger that is manufactured specifically for the powersports industry for up to the PC680 series sized batteries. It is a high enough amperage charger to perform deep discharge recovery (full amp output good for a discharged powersports sized battery) and maintain the battery at a full state of charge at the optimum recommended 13.6V [trickle] charging voltage.

If the battery is not fully charged when any charger goes into float, float voltage charging has to make up the difference to complete the charging process. The required float voltage range is 13.5-13.8V. We would highly recommend leaving any approved charger on the battery from use to use to ensure full charge especially for a motorcycle with an inadequate charging system. CTEK chargers with the snowflake setting (required for ODYSSEY) also work very well for seasonal powersports applications. They are plug and play as well.