User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
IrishCatholic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Scenic Ride West and Fast Ride East

I'm riding from San Antonio to Phoenix the first week of November on my new GSW for a work conference. I'm taking old Highway 90 from San Antonio to Alpine and cutting up Highway 118 to ride the Texas Mountain Trail from Ft. Davis to IH10. Once I'm through El Paso, I'll drop down to CR9 and run parallel to the Mexican border until turning North on 113 to IH10 to Highway 71 in route to Duncan, AZ where I'm staying overnight in the Sampson Hotel. I'm trying to stay off IH10 as much as practically possible.
The next morning I'm riding north up the Arizona Devil's Highway (formerly Highway 666, now Highway 191) through the Apache National Forest past Alpine to Eagar before turning west on Highway 260 (because it's called White Mountain Scenic Road) and then south on Highway 60 on the edge of the Tonto National Forest through Globe and into Phoenix.
Currently the daily temperatures in San Antonio and Phoenix range from about 60F - 80F, Duncan, AZ (elevation around 3,500 ft) temperatures range from 45F - 60F, and Alpine, AZ (elevation of 8000+ ft) temperatures range from 25F - 60F, so strategic layering will be part of the planning. I think I'll set up my GoPro to take a picture every 10 or 15 seconds when riding the scenic parts - surely there will be a few good shots in the mix I can share when I return.
After the conference I'm planning to beeline it up IH10 back to San Antonio. Should be a great trip!
Old 10-16-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
Boring..... Try this instead in NM. Carlsbad-Artesia-Cloudcroft-Alamogordo. Then across WhiteSands on 70 to Las Cruces. Take 187 North to NM 152 at Caballo LK. Then, Hillsboro-San Lorenzo to Silver City. In Silver 180 North up through Cliff to NM/AZ 78 West. That takes you to Guthrie AZ right on the Devils HWY and is all great scenery. The South route is boring and straight mostly, And I-10??? Stay off the darn thing

I know this area all very well. You will enjoy my route a lot.You can get to Duncan with just a little Southward jog of AZ 70 when at Guthrie. Enjoy....

Stay right away from El Paso or I-10 this way.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote