Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #16
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,310
So on your next trip into "pure Michigan" (I refuse to call it the "wolverine" state), think about crossing over at Ludington on the Badger to Manitowoc, WI. they have a Maritime Museum there that is beautiful and has a bunch of old Kahlenberg Diesels there as well as a WW2 sub to tour, the SS Copia. All very historic. Then of course into WI and up into the extreme Western UP, back across (see Garden Peninsula/Fayette), over the bridge and home.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
JB2 OP
Open Road

Oddometer: 364
Lake Superior Mystic

buls4evr, thanks for the heads-up on the museum. The Kahlenberg in Copper Harbor prompted me to do some research. I found one site that is tracking down all of the old Kahlenbergs and listing what boat they were originally married to. I really like old engines and these things are huge. We did the entire U.P. a few years back and stayed in Bayfield, WI then followed the shoreline to Copper Harbor. For some reason I am drawn to the beauty, the mystique and the unpredictability of Lake Superior. My wife and I like winter and have considered buying a "winter home" there so we could be snowed in for the season.
JB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
JB2 OP
Open Road

Milo

Ferris, The page turned on the thread and I almost missed your pics of Milo that Reep took. Now that's some funny shite here man. He dwarfed both Reep and Gentleman Jim but I didn't get a pic of them standing together. The ones taken with you are even better. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Fast Ferris
Shift Shaper

Oddometer: 3,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB2 View Post
Ferris, The page turned on the thread and I almost missed your pics of Milo that Reep took. Now that's some funny shite here man. He dwarfed both Reep and Gentleman Jim but I didn't get a pic of them standing together. The ones taken with you are even better. Thanks for posting!
Yer welcome. :)

Milo's a gentle giant, as you well know. Fingers crossed one of these days I can hook up with you and ride up there and visit him.

Re the pix of Milo 'n me, I *think* there mighta been some Carolina water at work there...
Fast Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
buls4evr, thanks for the heads-up on the museum. The Kahlenberg in Copper Harbor prompted me to do some research. I found one site that is tracking down all of the old Kahlenbergs and listing what boat they were originally married to. I really like old engines and these things are huge. We did the entire U.P. a few years back and stayed in Bayfield, WI then followed the shoreline to Copper Harbor. For some reason I am drawn to the beauty, the mystique and the unpredictability of Lake Superior. My wife and I like winter and have considered buying a "winter home" there so we could be snowed in for the season.
I suspect you could get one a century old...a Kahlenberg, and it would still run with a little prompting. they were tough engines and did not turn any RPMs.The pistons in them are the size of a 5 gal pail!!! Think about it...

You should go get some property up on CR 58 out of Grand Marais. Very pretty road in an area as remote as Alaska. SERENE for sure.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Prior
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
JB2,
Great RR, and I'd loved to join you for the trip to the UP... My schedule hasn't been the best to get out for a road trip, but the UP might have been a bit more do-able than the Black Hills, but still tough.

I've had the opportunity to hang with Milo twice, and one missed shot in Iowa... As you know, Milo payed a visit to my friend Matt in has last days on this earth. You, Ferris, Milo and a pile of other Buellers supported me on my trip across the continent back in 2004, RANE, by Ferris's challenged spelling, to raise money for the American Cancer Society in Matt's name. RR here, which was chronicled on Badweb and I also shared here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490371. Milo's a one in a million, and was the last of our crew to hang with Matt before his passing. I am well overdue on a trip to Michigan to visit Matt, his folks and Milo.

That shop Milo has is awesome, Heather may be scared to even let me vist for fear of what I may do here!
Prior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
JB2 OP
Open Road

Prior, Good to see you chime in. Maybe we should make a mass assault on K'zoo one of these days and have a gathering at Milo's. I could spend a day, week, month or even longer just digging through all the treasures hidden in the woods. That's without even opening the door on his shop. He has added on to his home to care for his parents so he's pretty tied to the place. His dad seems to be quite a character. Would have liked to have had more time there but we were, like normal, on the roll. A stop there merits more than just one afternoon. You tell me when and I'll meet ya there.

Ride Hard, Ride Free Matt Ware
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #23
Milo H
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 3
Man! I've been lurking in ADV off & on for quite a few years.
Today I found it necessary to actually register for an account.
Why? Cause you guys are ruining my hard earned reputation as a cantankerous, ornery, backwoods biker/hermit/curmudgeon .

Glad to be here. I'll be first in line when the time comes to plan a K'zoo get together!
Milo H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
JB2 OP
Open Road

Gathering at the Shed

Milo, Can't say how honored I am to have you join ADV and this thread. You can be a cantankerous, ornery, backwoods biker/hermit/curmudgeon all ya want but we know better. Kim has been wanting to go OOOOpin' to look for rocks in the Copper Harbor area so I'm guaranteed at least one trip next summer. Besides I've yet to meet Janet and maybe her and Kim won't feel left out if we get lost. This year we did the same thing we did on the last ride up there; not having enough time to really get to the gnarly stuff. Considering Jim's demise we did what we've always done best and that was to make the best of it... and we did. That said, I know I'll be making a return trip on the bike... so two trips next year. If Prior commits to a bike trip to your place I can assure you there'll be a few more cantankerous, ornery, backwoods biker/hermit/curmudgeons in tow. Careful what ya ask for!
Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #25
Milo H
Curmudgeon

Gathering at the Shed

We may have to get together over the Winter. I know where there is a trail......

Actually, there is a trail out of Copper Harbor, ends up on a agate filled shoreline.......shh
Old 10-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
JB2 OP
Open Road

County Road 58

buls4evr, Is that CR58 also known as H58? We ran into a girl riding solo in a little town called Engadine at a restaurant called Mary's Garden. She was an Oooper and told us about a road in the San Marais area but I think she called it H58? She said it was one of the best motorcycle roads in the world. Same road?
Old 10-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
JB2 OP
Open Road

Winter Trip

Milo, Lemme talk to Kim. We've been married to this house for 10 months and with losing her mom she's needing a good diversion. We're going fossil hunting in Southern Indiana Sunday but all she talks about is Copper Harbor. She wants some agates... bad, Let's compare schedules soon.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #28
Milo H
Curmudgeon

County Road 58

Nope, not a road at all. Just a trail,(well last time I was there, 1991?)
Tried to follow it in a Ford van. Got in about a mile, had to abort, due to soft sand. Hand held Magellan GPS indicated another 2 miles to shore.

Milo H screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 06:43 PM Reason: wrong thread
Old 10-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #29
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
buls4evr, Is that CR58 also known as H58? We ran into a girl riding solo in a little town called Engadine at a restaurant called Mary's Garden. She was an Oooper and told us about a road in the San Marais area but I think she called it H58? She said it was one of the best motorcycle roads in the world. Same road?
Yes; one and the same. That is Grand Marais....
Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #30
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 445
Subscribed to this one. Great story and great photos!

Spent my high school days in Cadillac, MI. Milo's comment about having to abort a trip due to sand made me laugh. Many a fond memory of burying my KE100 enduro up the axel in sand trying to climb hills in the backwoods of the Manistee National Forest.

Keep the stories coming, JB2!
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote