Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia > OZ Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #46
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,601
So what was good? what was ordinary? what was a wasted effort?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #47
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,035
We really enjoyed it all again, and plan to be back next year. None of it is/was wasted effort.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #48
prestonpaul
What?

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
We really enjoyed it all again, and plan to be back next year. None of it is/was wasted effort.
+1
If you have the slightest interest in getting out and seeing the world there is a lot to be gained from the festival.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #49
MacMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
There was certainly nothing we regretted seeing. In the previous two festivals it was really hard to pick and choose what we were happy to forgo. We always felt like we were missing out on something good on the Saturdays while we sat to watch or listen to something else (also good). This year the programme was more relaxed so we had fewer such traffic jams, and the more popular films were offered at two different times on different days. I think there was only one film we didn't get to see and two speakers.

The twilight screenings are always good fun.

The Girlie's favourite film was The Boy Who Flies. I really struggled to pick a favourite.

I think you'd have to be a pretty grumpy misery guts to avoid enjoying the weekend. Great bunch of people and atmosphere. The evenings at the brewery were a friendly forum for exchange of ideas and experiences. Just the thing for anyone wishing to travel to a particular place. Talk long enough and you'd find someone who had already done a similar trip. I didn't meet any of the usual "travel wankers" I used to encounter at uni.

If they keep running the festival, we'll keep turning up.

MacMan screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 12:23 AM Reason: Forgot some stuff. Then remembered.
MacMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 AM   #50
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 943
Although I am glad he didn't eat my steak sandwich, I disagree with MacMan.

I am grumpy misery guts personified and despite hitting a deer, getting literally zero sleep on Friday night (those responsible will remain nameless ), and all my stuff getting an impromptu wash at 4 in the morning, I'll echo everyone else and say it was a brilliant, brilliant weekend.

The films were on the whole pretty good, with maybe one or two that weren't up my alley, but honestly they were a sideshow for me. I wound up skipping films I was hanging out to see, just to sit and talk with some really astounding people who live in the REAL world, and don't feel compelled to follow the masses into 9-5 jobs, mortgages, flatpack Ikea furniture and friday night binge drinking to numb the despair. Seriously big dose of knowledge, experience and perspective, and just plain nice people too. I wasn't even that bothered when a bunch tramped through my ...um...'campsite' at 1am, to see if I wanted a beer.

If they hadn't I wouldn't have wound up riding home via blue rag with Billy Price. I've never seen a DR go so fast, let alone with a surfboard strapped to the side. Or spending Saturday (and Sunday) evening with Chris Clash, who I think is about the only thing more interesting than his buggy. And his buggy was very interesting (which is the first time I've ever said that about something with four wheels). Even the GSA club ran a nice (but sadly short) ride, in which no kilometer-long wheelies were pulled WHATSOEVER.

I'm just glad that Canary, VTwin and Benz-in-Oz were kind enough to offer their hospitality, so I was able to enjoy at least part of the weekend with dry pants. Lesson learned - OzTrail collapsable marquees are exactly that.

I got home this time last night, and I'm bored already.

Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #51
Medic
Window licker

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary View Post
Just a quick message to advise that BB63 has had an off on his way back to QLD from the film festival and is currently in Albury hospital waiting for surgery for his fractured tibial plateau and shoulder.

Another inmate Medic was travelling with him and will stay in Albury till he knows that BB63 is okay.

Hope all goes well Brian and such a shame that it would have spoilt such a fun weekend.

Thanks Chris for staying with him and keeping his spirits up, great mate.
Brian was supposed to be surgerised yesterday afternoon to pin and plate his shoulder, and plate and screw his tibial plateau. Unfortunately things dragged in th emergency theatre and they had to can him for the day, not wanting to do an operation that complex that would go for several hours with staff that were not exactly fresh.

There is some talk of transferring him to the private hospital to get the op done, we'll see what today brings.

FarRider #332.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:40 AM   #52
Benz-in-Oz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Just got home a few hours ago, what a fantastic film festival it was, will do it again that's for sure. We spent a few days coming home, although we were in the car we had a good trip, had a Microlight flight, drove a Forester to Blue Rag Trig. and had a drive around a lot of top roads, Dargo, Limestone, Benambra to Corryong etc. It was good to catch up with Mr & Mrs Bergdonk and JDeks again.

The journey is the reward.
Benz-in-Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #53
shanekfalcon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Got home on Wednesday, I think. Great weekend and the event does seem to get better and better. My favourite movie was Janapar on the Friday night starlight screening.

If I'm here next year I hope to take the DR800 and do some mild off-roading on it. Should be an experience for me I reckon ... unless I can get a hold of a Kombi ... or a Beetle would be fun ... or an old Torana hatchback with the "hatch hutch".

Evil plans hatching already and see you all next year.

Regards,

Shane
shanekfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #54
nazza
Trouble

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
Brian was supposed to be surgerised yesterday afternoon to pin and plate his shoulder, and plate and screw his tibial plateau. Unfortunately things dragged in th emergency theatre and they had to can him for the day, not wanting to do an operation that complex that would go for several hours with staff that were not exactly fresh.

There is some talk of transferring him to the private hospital to get the op done, we'll see what today brings.
Got back to Melbourne yesterday after a little high country exploration. Terrible to hear about Brian. Please send him my best wishes! I hope he gets all fixed up and heals okay. Catch you guys on a ride back home sometime.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #55
Canary
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Thanks Medic for looking out for BB63 and I hope that you have arrived home safely by now.

BB63's "farkles" have been collected by another inmate for safe keeping as the DL has sadly been written off.

A huge thanks to as he doesn't know Brian and was willing to help anyway. I am sure that he will pop in to visit Brian after his surgery to say g'day.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #56
Medic
Window licker

I've just spoken to the nurse looking after Brian, she's told me he's out of surgery, and everything seems to have gone fine, he's expected to spend a bit of time in the recovery ward before he returns to the surgical ward, so I'll give them a ring in the morning, and hopefully be able to talk to him then.

He's a tough bugger!

FarRider #332.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #57
Canary
Studly Adventurer

Give him our best wishes when you speak to him.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #58
Medic
Window licker

Had a message from Brian about 11 last night to say he was ok but tired and was going to go back to sleep. I'll let ya's know the rest of the story after I've spoken to him.

FarRider #332.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:07 PM   #59
Medic
Window licker

Brian is still in the ICU this morning, they only managed to do the Operation on his knee, not sure why they didn't get to his shoulder, but we'll find out and it will be fixed in due course.

FarRider #332.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #60
Canary
Studly Adventurer

Wonder why they didn't also fix his shoulder in the same operation. The main thing is that they do them both correctly.