User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
killianm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
NEPA after work exploring

So, What to do after a twelve hour night shift and the wife and kids at school? Probably it would be wise to sleep before the next night shift but then that's what normal people do and we are not. Right out of the parking lot at 7am and off to the woods! I really love riding in the fall weather. The temperatures are moderate and that woderful fall smell is in the air. My Dad told me of a place on Redrock Mountain called Mountain Springs Lake. Ma and Pa tried to make it in by cage last week but were stopped by a washed out bridge. It sounded perfect for an after work trip. I'm one of those guys bound by the job, house, family, dog and yes our chickens even need sem- daily attention. All of that said a really nice big adventure is just something that I read about on these threads. For me a couple of hours of exploring the back roads of North East PA is about all the adventure I'll be taking in...at least for the next few years. The little one is only twenty months old!! Back to the 7am out of the parking lot. I went up Rt 487 north over Redrock mountain towards Lopez. After the Red Rock Job corps complex there is a road off to the right. On my GPS it was only listed as Loop A. It opens up into roads on the state game lands.

It was just like any other fire service road until I found a sand pit!!

I decided to work on my skills a bit. Up and down and all around. I tried an angle up the hill and I didn't make it. Momentum is your friend on the pig.

This was my first stick in the sand. This bike get heavy trying to free from the sand. I ended up digging out the back wheel with my foot and just rolling it down to the bottom. It was a small bank. Then I encountered the wahed out bridge.

The water was shallow but you never know how the rocks will be. I made it across in uneventful bliss. The lake is just down the road a little after the bridge. There is the foundation for the old ice house that is still visible. The lake was drained down quite low. It has been pretty dry.

Back out to the main road and I stopped on a grassy parking area that showed promise for more adventure.

Try before you fly!!

This is beyond my current skill level. It looked like it could be a lot of fun with a smaller bike. Back out on the main road and another road went to the left so I took it.

None of this was on my GPS but this lead back up the mountain and the road said it was a loop.

I ended up at a gate and turned around. I had passed a grass road that did not have any signs on it. I hit that on the way back. It was a bit greasy and a few ruts.

so the 800 took its first nap
It was much easier standing it back up here than getting it unstuck from the sand.
This road ended as well but did keep going into the woods. I stopped here.

Back out to the main road which how had a name. Stull rd follows the old rail road grade down to noxen. There was a pretty cool bridge that only had the stonework left. I should have snapped a picture but that can be for another day. I had to stop at the lower falls of Ricketts Glen State Park and take a picture. I've been by a few times recently and did not stop. It is always beautiful no matter what the season.

Then it was back home and to bed for some sleep before the Family got home. Only one more night shift this week. This has been my MO for most of this seasons riding. Thanks for reading!!
Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Nice pic's and report... thanks for taking us along
Old 10-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,136
Do you have any coordinates? This looks like it would be a fun ride on my KLR250.

EDIT: Whoops. I missed where you said it was past the job corps complex. I actually think I know the road you're talking about.

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014

max384 screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 10:13 AM
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Last weekend I scouted that big hunk of Pike cty, state forest accessed at Tunnel rd. off Frenchtown rd. just west of Raymondskill creek - no gate - hunters there Saturday, me hopefully riding Sunday. Raymondskill rd.'s twisties look fun too. Or might just stay nearby and ride the 5 Mile Meadow rd. from rt. 739 to Silver Lake rd., and loop within. The Pike GIS interactive http://www.pikegis.org/pike/viewer.htm has
topo and state land view options
or http://www.gis.dcnr.state.pa.us/maps/index.html
Old 10-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Awesome pic's! I love riding through PA SGL 57. I live near Laceyville/Meshoppen so I'm fairly close to there.

Here's a shot on one of my first rides on my KTM (looks familiar huh?):

In case you're looking for other places to explore, I posted two of my ride reports below. If you want some directions to any of these places, let me know. They are are fun to explore. Every place pictured is in this general area. Post# 25 and 26 of the first link and #1 in the second link below show the same area where you were.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886446

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=899817

matt33 screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 06:00 PM
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
matt33
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Do you have any coordinates? This looks like it would be a fun ride on my KLR250.

EDIT: Whoops. I missed where you said it was past the job corps complex. I actually think I know the road you're talking about.
If you look for state game land 57, Stull Rd, on google maps, it shows the general area. I access SGL 57 at this point near the Redrock Job Corps:
41.388401,-76.27809

or here closer to Noxen:
41.39558,-76.125219

It is an awesome place to spend the day exploring.
matt33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Rode the loop in the State Forest south of 84 in Pike, off Frenchtown and Tunnel rd. After a slightly steep rocky onramp, plenty of mild whoops and dips and not many big loose rocks, but much of the loop in the "jeep trail" per the map goes onto private property near Rattlesnake creek, and a big old tree crossed a fork of the mini loop that remained. Done in just 20 minutes :(
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Pabigwoods
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
nice pics, one of my favorite riding areas. I have often thought about a report on that area, even have some pics but too lazy. Good Job! Don't forget to try the Forkston, Dutch Mountain side as well.