Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I have probably tested 20 different pairs of ear buds while riding.
In the end the bar none best ones are custom molded ones with double drivers.
They block out so much noise which lets you play your music much softer.
They dont fall out.
With any other ear bud i would notice that by the end of the ride i had my music cranked to overcome the wind noise, but with the molded ones i can keep the music much lower. Probably a good thing.

I got mine here.. https://www.hearsmartsolutions.com/

I think the drivers are not as good as a pair of fancy ultimate ears when it comes down to base when compared in a quiet environment. But if you take into effect the extra wind noise that you're trying to overcome with normal buds, then the custom mold win out huge.
They also come with a good integrated ipod/iphone controller on the cable. ( stop, pause, skip, vol, etc )

Also you can choose the hard mold or soft. Hard gives you better driver performance, but the soft is much better when you cram them in your helmet and keep them there for say 12 hours straight. I got soft.

rburkat screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 03:34 PM
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #17
Bearcat263
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Still using my ER6I earphones not looking forward to replacing them when they die, maybe i'll see if i can locate another pair as a backup.
2012 KTM990
Bearcat263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #18
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
I have been using this pair for five years and they are still like new. I hate to spend $250 but it has been a good buy, great sound and I can turn it down low and hear it good. keep your hearing spend a few bucks
http://www.plugup.com/custom_made_ea...budss_s/73.htm
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
brooks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
JVC Marshmallows, wal-mart 12.00. soft and ergonomic and doesn't have a long stalk to get pushed into your ears. If they crap out just stop at another wally world and exchange them.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,792
Question is: how the hell do you guys get your helmet on without the earbuds getting a screwed up and/or coming our of your ear?? I have wondered how people do this for years now. I have very nice earbuds but have never been able to use them with my Arai XD cuz when I pull the helmet on it takes the earbuds right with it, pulling them out of my ear. Is there some super secret technique to getting your helmet on whilst keeping the earbuds intact in your ears?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,167
The "S" Plug. 2 monitor system. Insane nice combination with my Cowon x7 player.
Used them in Stan. When not used for music they kill sound perfect. Slept through an attack on the PBL at greenzone Helmand.

Love ´em
Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #22
Baja_Joe
Every mile KOTW 2011

Oddometer: 143
For the price these are what I use. They come with a few different sizes for the ear canal. I really like the easy control button to turn off the sound. Works great with gloves on.

http://www.all4cellular.com/product/samsung-serious-sound-3-5mm-hands-free-stereo-headset-ehs60.html?gclid=CMfVn_nk-LkCFRPl7AodoXwAtA

I just bought another three sets. Arrived in a few days. No issues.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #23
Whoam
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 155
etymotic.com, very nice stuff.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #24
mjskier
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I made my own. I got some skull candy ear buds (with the built in microphone and toggle control on the cable) and the 2 part putty Radians molded ear plugs

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...3000/cat100418

Wrapped the ear buds in the putty so that they are pretty deep. Works ok. Everything stays in place when I take the helmet off, and the molded ear plugs block a lot of noise. Sounds quality is just ok. Good enough to listen to Pandora on my phone with the volume at a relatively comfortable level. And when the phone rings I can answer. I haven't tried to talk while riding. But stopping on the side of the road the microphone built in the cable is good enough.
mjskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #25
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
I don't use ear buds because I don't listen to music when I ride, but, the new Bose QuietComfort 20 in-ear Noise Canceling buds look very promising for nullifying drone & wind noise. I could care less about frequency response and fidelity, I'm interested in noise canceling.

An independent lab tested them and found background noise attenuation was as much as 45db at 160hz, and 30db at 500 to 1200Hz - right in the middle of the avg. wind-noise freq range.

They're pricey at $300, but the over-the -ear type I bought for airline use are fantastic.

And they have a great return policy, so there's really no cost to try them for a month. You'll know in the first 5min if they work.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #26
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Question is: how the hell do you guys get your helmet on without the earbuds getting a screwed up and/or coming our of your ear?? I have wondered how people do this for years now. I have very nice earbuds but have never been able to use them with my Arai XD cuz when I pull the helmet on it takes the earbuds right with it, pulling them out of my ear. Is there some super secret technique to getting your helmet on whilst keeping the earbuds intact in your ears?
Yup. Balaclava- I use the Underamor Tactical Hood.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #27
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
I don't use ear buds because I don't listen to music when I ride, but, the new Bose QuietComfort 20 in-ear Noise Canceling buds look very promising for nullifying drone & wind noise. I could care less about frequency response and fidelity, I'm interested in noise canceling.

An independent lab tested them and found background noise attenuation was as much as 45db at 160hz, and 30db at 500 to 1200Hz - right in the middle of the avg. wind-noise freq range.

They're pricey at $300, but the over-the -ear type I bought for airline use are fantastic.

And they have a great return policy, so there's really no cost to try them for a month. You'll know in the first 5min if they work.
Boy I dunno what the hell helmets you guys are wearing, but those things look HUGE to me.

So far the only plugs I've been remotely able to use were Etymotic ER6's and even those get a bit of pressure after 8+hours.

Cheapo skull candy types!? No way. THey get squished out unless I'm extremely careful even with a balaclava and in an hour or so my ears are on fire.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #28
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a shoei hornet which is similar, and there is a 'channel' between the pads that if I put the helmet on at a really weird angle (tilted up) I can usually get it on over my skull candy types. But sometimes it takes a couple tries

It's a lot easier with a balaclava, but usually in winter I'm on a shorter ride and less wanting of tunes than summer.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #29
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Not remotely the 'best' but for $14 not terrible. If you are man-enough & can get over the foo-foo colors :)

https://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/Fit_Series
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:

THe "S" plug is so small that you take your helmet on as usual. Way better than my Etymotic from before.