Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #151
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,318

This is based on the average number of days between 25F and 95F. It ignores rain, snow and icy roads. Personally I'm comfortable from 40F to 100F, YMMV as they say...
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #152
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,809
Hawaii is a bit misleading in that the speed limit on all of the islands is 45....
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #153
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
I'll give em rain, but ignoring snow and icy roads seems a bit disingenuous.

Not a lot of guys riding on ice.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #154
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Dude, if CA is your paradise, as it appears to be, WTF are you doing in WA? Based in your insistence on the perfection of CA there is NO reason at all why you are not living there. NOTHING should stop you. Now, would you please and let others have an opinion FFS!

Jim
BEcause I own property in WA that tenants destroyed and can;t be sold. so I HAD to move back and deal with it.

Sometimes there are other issues that get in the way of riding.

Telling me to stfu and quench my opinion so that you can preach your more important opinion, is exactly why I would't live in either of the Virginia's either. MOST people live in Cities on the coasts. That's a simple fact. If you don't want to live in a blue state because of politics, that's fine, but it's really not a very good argument as to what makes the best state to live and ride in year round. Lots of democrats live in Kansas, and there's plenty of republicans in CA.

But CA has the best riding, best variety, and best legal status of any of the states, bar none. It's not even a fair fight.

Did you do a lot of riding in the superstorm Sandy Blizzard? Not too many hurricanes in CA. Not impossible, I mean when I lived there there was a tornado in Huntington harbor, but it's pretty damned rare to not be able to ride for any reason at all. And the riding, is... EPIC. and - Lane Splitting

I've articulated a number of actual REASONS why Ca is the best. Other than "NUH UH" I haven't really heard a lot of actual logical reasons why WV (or anywhere else) would be equal to much less a 'better' place to ride year round than Cali.

Can you lane split in your state? If not, sorry but you lose. BECAUSE Lane splitting makes other drivers more aware of and accepting of bikes. You may disagree, it's perfectly your right to be wrong.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 12:54 PM
Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #155
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Hawaii is a bit misleading in that the speed limit on all of the islands is 45....
UG, that would get old real quick. When I went back to Indiana, the home of the indy 500, I was amazed at all these perfect rural country roads... and every single one had friggen 25 MPH speed limits.

It's my big gripe for Oregon too, are there ANY 70 mph speed limits in that state? If so they are few and FARRRRR between.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #156
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post

yeah, but there are some parts that arent so bad.....

HWY 1

Ave of Giants

HWY 33

Angeles Crest

or you could always visit .....

Yosemite

sequia national forest

carrizo plain

death valley

I could go on and on but it wouldnt be fair to most of the rest of you because we get to ride 365 days a year

All of those places are great! BUT, they are also away from why I wouldn't want to live there.

Don't get me wrong, WV has the same issues with great riding and no jobs that CA has in the great riding areas! Can't have it all I guess.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #157
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
BEcause I own property in WA that tenants destroyed and can;t be sold. so I HAD to move back and deal with it.

Sometimes there are other issues that get in the way of riding.

Telling me to stfu and quench my opinion so that you can preach your more important opinion, is exactly why I would't live in either of the Virginia's either. MOST people live in Cities on the coasts. That's a simple fact. If you don't want to live in a blue state because of politics, that's fine, but it's really not a very good argument as to what makes the best state to live and ride in year round. Lots of democrats live in Kansas, and there's plenty of republicans in CA.

But CA has the best riding, best variety, and best legal status of any of the states, bar none. It's not even a fair fight.

Did you do a lot of riding in the superstorm Sandy Blizzard? Not too many hurricanes in CA. Not impossible, I mean when I lived there there was a tornado in Huntington harbor, but it's pretty damned rare to not be able to ride for any reason at all. And the riding, is... EPIC. and - Lane Splitting

I've articulated a number of actual REASONS why Ca is the best. Other than "NUH UH" I haven't really heard a lot of actual logical reasons why WV (or anywhere else) would be equal to much less a 'better' place to ride year round than Cali.

Can you lane split in your state? If not, sorry but you lose. BECAUSE Lane splitting makes other drivers more aware of and accepting of bikes. You may disagree, it's perfectly your right to be wrong.
Dude, you are trying to win here! There is no winning on the internet. I gave my opinion and let it ride. You gave your opinion over and over and over, and argued with any dissenting opinion. THAT is why I said SFTU! Give it a rest! You are becoming a bore!

Jim
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #158
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All of those places are great! BUT, they are also away from why I wouldn't want to live there.

Don't get me wrong, WV has the same issues with great riding and no jobs that CA has in the great riding areas! Can't have it all I guess.

Jim
Um, Angeles crest is the suburbs of DOWNTOWN La. In fact LA is immediately surrounded on all 4 sides by fantastic rides. Redwoods are not far from frisco, Tahoe is a couple hours from Frisco or Sac. HWY 1, is EVERYWHERE. "too far" to good riding is really just not so.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #159
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Um, Angeles crest is the suburbs of DOWNTOWN La. In fact LA is immediately surrounded on all 4 sides by fantastic rides. Redwoods are not far from frisco, Tahoe is a couple hours from Frisco or Sac. HWY 1, is EVERYWHERE. "too far" to good riding is really just not so.
See what I mean? I give up, you win, CA is a paradise! We should all move there! Happy now?

Jim
Old 10-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #160
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post

This is based on the average number of days between 25F and 95F. It ignores rain, snow and icy roads. Personally I'm comfortable from 40F to 100F, YMMV as they say...
Nice. I was just getting ready to post this map.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #161
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Just to see where riders live... taken from here:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinform.../mv1.cfm#foot4

Code:
State	# of Motorcycles
California (4)	818,650
Florida (2)	574,346
Texas (1)	442,483
Pennsylvania	404,896
Ohio		390,522
Illinois (3)	350,292
New York	345,855
New Jersey (2)	330,489
Wisconsin (1)	317,656
Michigan	308,349
Minnesota (1)	240,289
North Carolina	223,305
Washington (1)	220,886
Indiana		204,407
Georgia (1)	199,620
Virginia	195,829
Arizona		178,928
Iowa (1)	174,263
Colorado 	173,231
Tennessee (1)	168,420
Massachusetts 	159,007
Missouri	140,947
Alabama		127,301
Oklahoma (1)	127,150
Maryland	120,122
South Carolina	108,371
Oregon		108,317
Kentucky (1)	98,495
Connecticut	97,963
Kansas		81,361
New Hampshire	79,267
Arkansas (1)	76,301
South Dakota	69,670
Nevada (1)	68,976
Louisiana	68,460
New Mexico	64,912
Idaho		62,623
Utah		59,430
West Virginia	57,564
Nebraska	51,376
Maine (1)	50,327
Montana 	47,011
Rhode Island 	33,085
North Dakota	32,668
Alaska		31,020
Delaware	30,498
Hawaii		30,498
Wyoming (1)	30,378
Vermont		30,071
Mississippi (1)	28,078
Dist. of Col.	3,539
Total		8,437,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
really now

population of California 38 million or one bike per 46.5 residents
land area of California 163,696 sq miles or 5 bikes per square mile

population of New Hampshire 1.3 million or one bike per 16.5 residents
land area of New Hampshire 9,304 square miles or 8.5 bikes per square mile

who is it that has the most bike's?

that right, in New Hampshire, a resident is almost 3 times as likely to own a bike as Californian

if the roads and riding is so good, why don't more people own bikes ?
I took the data from the map that p0diabl0 posted and then copied and pasted population data from the 2012 population estimate from Wikipedia (US census site was down due to gubmint shutdown) into Excel. I then calculated the motorcycle density per 100,000 population for each state, as well as the average for the entire US (excluding territories). I sorted the data by motorcycle density, highest to lowest.

I am surprised that California ranks so low. Though I think a lot of it has to do with urban density. If you look, the more rural states are ranked higher in density, with some notable exceptions on either side.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #162
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,571
Quote:
See what I mean? I give up, you win, CA is a paradise! We should all move there! Happy now?

Jim

Yup
Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #163
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
What everyone has said about CA is true - positive and negative. IMHO, SoCal has better weather in the winter than NoCal.

However, Ventura County to San Louis Obispo County has some of the best roads outside one's door, the BEST weather in all of CA (year round), not very crowded, close to the beach and mountains, great food.

Keep in mind, yes CA is more expensive to live (so is NYC), but you have to pay to play.

Zeid, I love AZ, but dude, it is fucking hot in the summer. I don't care if it is a "dry" heat, hot is hot

You can keep Arkansas, Mississippi,Alabama, etc. My question to you is, if one divorces his wife, is she still your sister?

The bottom line is, to paraphrase Woody Allen "the only cultural advantage to LA is the weather."

YMMV.

Cheers.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #164
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Nice. I was just getting ready to post this map.
The map is misleading though, as far as days that are rideable for many people. I'd ride trails when there's snow/ice on the ground and the temps are 5F...rather than ride in FL when the temps are 75-95F with lightning scattered all over the state.

I'll ride in rain. I'll ride in snow. I'll ride on salty roads. I'll ride when it's 100F. I'll ride when it's -10F. I'll ride in downtown Chicago traffic. I'll ride in BFE, surrounded by herds of deer and flocks of wild turkey.

I don't like riding when lightning is crackling all over the sky.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #165
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,222
Oregon is nice.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote