Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #166
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_uiuc View Post
the chicago area, as a whole, sucks. i did ~10 years there and hope to never go back. no good roads, horrible drivers, terrible winters, miserable summers, and the pizza is no good.

the southern tip of IL is the only good part of the state, but if you're down there you might as well just go to KY. better roads and better politics.

the only redeeming value that IL has is the size of the deer... although the hunting laws are all sorts of jacked up.
I hated quite a few things about Chicago too, but the pizza is good if you know where to go. So is a lot of the other food there. The mtn biking is actually decent, and there is decent moto dirt within 1-4hrs of downtown. The drivers aren't as bad as here in FL, but there are a heck of a lot more of them, and they tend to be a bit more aggressive. The winters aren't too bad if you like winter sports like hockey, skating, sledding, snowboarding, ice fishing, snowmobiling, etc. The greyness of winter sucks there though. The summers are beautiful for early-morning wakeboarding on L Michigan...glass for MILES.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #167
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Yeah, but admit it, you saw a lot less "fellow riders" out there didn't ya?

I ride all year in Wa, this place is littered with bikes on 85+ days. Not so much lately. And my big gripe in the winter isn't temp or even the rain, it's the lack of light. It's friggen dark here, all the time.

Another hobby of mine is sailing. Socal kinda sucks for sailing.

In Wa if it's not DUMPING rain people are out boating. And sometimes when it's dumping too. There's tons of places to go, lots of cool restaurants with private docs etc. Even with limited wind lots of sailboats, out actually sailing.

Marina Del Rey has 6000 boats that never leave their slips except on July 4th. Very, VERY few actual destinations to go to. It's kinda weird actually.
Truthinesz..although we're at the gorge..doesn't really dump much here...just drizzle...for days..and yeah..the days can get short...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #168
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oca View Post
What everyone has said about CA is true - positive and negative. IMHO, SoCal has better weather in the winter than NoCal.

However, Ventura County to San Louis Obispo County has some of the best roads outside one's door, the BEST weather in all of CA (year round), not very crowded, close to the beach and mountains, great food.

Keep in mind, yes CA is more expensive to live (so is NYC), but you have to pay to play.

Zeid, I love AZ, but dude, it is fucking hot in the summer. I don't care if it is a "dry" heat, hot is hot

You can keep Arkansas, Mississippi,Alabama, etc. My question to you is, if one divorces his wife, is she still your sister?

The bottom line is, to paraphrase Woody Allen "the only cultural advantage to LA is the weather."

YMMV.

Cheers.
This is so untrue. VC is a terrible place to be. Nobody should even consider moving here.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #169
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
This is so untrue. VC is a terrible place to be. Nobody should even consider moving here.
Forgive me. What the hell have I've been smoking? I know not of what I speak.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #170
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
This is based on the average number of days between 25F and 95F. It ignores rain, snow and icy roads. Personally I'm comfortable from 40F to 100F, YMMV as they say...

the free horsepower gained from cold air is most realized at temps below 25
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #171
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
No lane-splitting (also no traffic), but you can have multiple wives!

Hell I can barely afford the "ONE" I've got!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #172
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
This is so untrue. San Diego is a terrible place to be. Nobody should even consider moving here.
Fixed on my behalf. Seriously, don't move here. I came from Rainville Oregon, sucks there too.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #173
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
That's not a plus! also Utah is weird bout booze

I actually did think SW UT might have some potential in the competition, but doesn't it get a decent amount of snow?
Southwest Utah, St. George area, is low elevation, about 2,500 ft. Almost never snows, perhaps 1 day in 5 years, melts before noon. But, lots of high elevation around. Mountains above 10,000 ft less than 1 hour from St. George so easy to escape to elevation with cooler temps during the hotter days of summer. Very easy to ride 365 days a year!

The women are beautiful, even if they are not your wives . . . no doubt, Utah is weird about booze. That is undeniable.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #174
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,808
the combo of weather and roads in CA is pretty tough to beat, mix that in with literally hundreds of amazing motorcycle roads, its a pretty strong argument - hell HWY 1 on it's own nearly makes it the best place to own a motorcycle on Earth and only people that have ridden it understand
But if you grew up in the mid west and like things like, say, seasons and covered bridges etc then you're going to hate California. I can also see how people kind of like having a few months to mothball their bikes, work on them, build something new and when Spring comes, it's like Xmas all over again and you get to open that garage door.... it's probably like being on your first ride again
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #175
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Hell I can barely afford the "ONE" I've got!
Move to UT and marry 2 sugar-mamas to offset her spending.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #176
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I can also see how people kind of like having a few months to mothball their bikes, work on them, build something new and when Spring comes, it's like Xmas all over again and you get to open that garage door.... it's probably like being on your first ride again
Sounds magical and I wish them all the best... I'm going to continue to ride every day through "winter".
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #177
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Southwest Utah, St. George area
The women are beautiful, even if they are not your wives . . . no doubt, Utah is weird about booze. That is undeniable.
But you gotta wear the magic underwear.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #178
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Just a half hour from my house, after riding over two mountain passes of 4th and 5th gear sweepers:

http://youtu.be/RMjlCy_UKrE

This road goes another 50 miles like this, until it reaches another destination road. And LANE SPLITTING when I have to go through town! CA FTW!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #179
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Just a half hour from my house, after riding over two mountain passes of 4th and 5th gear sweepers:

http://youtu.be/RMjlCy_UKrE

This road goes another 50 miles like this, until it reaches another destination road. And LANE SPLITTING when I have to go through town! CA FTW!
FAIL! No double yellows on which to legally pass. Lame.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #180
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
But you gotta wear the magic underwear.
Magic Underwear . . . Only have to wear the magic underwear if you drink the Kool-Aid . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbfgmorIGE

If you're only riding motos, then all you have to do is worry about the crappy beer . . . everything else is good.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote