Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #181
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Magic Underwear . . . Only have to wear the magic underwear if you drink the Kool-Aid . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbfgmorIGE

If you're only riding motos, then all you have to do is worry about the crappy beer . . . everything else is good.
And more than a few of them Mormon gals like to rebel.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #182
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
But if you grew up in the mid west and like things like, say, seasons and covered bridges etc then you're going to hate California
Nah. Covered bridges just require a jaunt up to Oregon. Not far if you're already up in the northern part of California. And there are good riding roads to take you there. Ride to Oregon in the Summer though and you might not want to come back.

When I lived in San Diego there wasn't much in the way of seasons. But up here in the bay area we've got 'em. Further north in the state, or east to the Sierra I expect even more so.

We don't have seasons so severe you'd put your bike away. But there are places in the state where prolly most riders would (e.g. Lake Tahoe).
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:55 PM   #183
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,174
Sorry to go offtrack, and I know its not America, but Johannesburg, Summer tops out at about 90F with limited very predictable rain usually late afternoon and is at 5000ft, so limited humidity.
Winter does'nt really drop below 25F overnight and no rain from may to october, so no road salt and by 08:30am its up over 40F and most winter days are up around 65 to 70F at noon.

Perfect riding weather but not too much in the way of mountains etc
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 PM   #184
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
Sorry to go offtrack, and I know its not America, but Johannesburg, Summer tops out at about 90F with limited very predictable rain usually late afternoon and is at 5000ft, so limited humidity.
Winter does'nt really drop below 25F overnight and no rain from may to october, so no road salt and by 08:30am its up over 40F and most winter days are up around 65 to 70F at noon.

Perfect riding weather but not too much in the way of mountains etc
Yeah, it's just too bad that Africa doesn't have any decent off-roading nearby. LOL from your description it sounds like San Diego
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #185
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Just a half hour from my house, after riding over two mountain passes of 4th and 5th gear sweepers:

http://youtu.be/RMjlCy_UKrE

This road goes another 50 miles like this, until it reaches another destination road. And LANE SPLITTING when I have to go through town! CA FTW!
I was just up there yesterday, looped to FRR back to WC. Awesome area for certain. Startin to get s bit nipply at that elevation though.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #186
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Move to UT and marry 2 sugar-mamas to offset her spending.

Now why didn't I think of that?
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #187
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Africa doesn't have any decent off-roading nearby.
Dude, please, just stop.

Quote:
Sounds like San Diego
Do you know how many places in not only America, but the whole world have a climate like that?

Omg some one shut him up, please
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #188
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Dude, please, just stop.
Lighten up francis. It's called a "joke" I dunno maybe look up the word or something!?

Quote:
Do you know how many places in not only America, but the whole world have a climate like that?

Omg some one shut him up, please
Well, the one thing I know for sure is that Phoenix Ain't one of them.

As for all the rest; in the US at least, none of em have lane splitting soooooo Socal wins again.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale

xymotic screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 11:25 PM
Old 10-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #189
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
look up port Macquarie nsw Australia
its meant to have the best climate in the world.
got good beaches/surf.
great road riding and dirt as well.
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 PM   #190
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingoff View Post
look up port Macquarie nsw Australia
its meant to have the best climate in the world.
got good beaches/surf.
great road riding and dirt as well.
cheers
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am genuinely curious is lane splitting legal in all of Australia? In CA it's basically "not illegal" but in rural areas they dislike it highly whereas in LA or SD it's a way of life.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #191
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Phoenix has one disadvantage, the heat. Little baby Xymotic can't deal with a hot summer day

You're living where again? Make all the excuses you want. While in California you're paying 1500 a month for a decent two bedroom apartment I'll pay that much for a mortgage on a big nice two story home in a ritzy area.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #192
Sport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Just about every two lane north of Morro Bay is a pleasure to ride, the coast highway, 1 and 101, the Giant Redwoods, Yosemite, Lassen, Kings Canyon and Redwood National Parks, the Sierra mountain range, 120, 108, 4, 88, 89, 49, did I mention the coast highway all the way to Oregon?
Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #193
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Phoenix has one disadvantage, the heat. Little baby Xymotic can't deal with a hot summer day

You're living where again? Make all the excuses you want. While in California you're paying 1500 a month for a decent two bedroom apartment I'll pay that much for a mortgage on a big nice two story home in a ritzy area.
Firstly "ritzy" in PHX is not exactly comparable to Brentwood or Malibu now is it?

Secondly, I can deal with a hot summer day just fine. I'm just not stupid enough to choose to live in a sh*thole like Phoenix on purpose when there are so many better places to choose from, like Wa or I dunno *anywhere* else.

And you're way off on your numbers: In Ca I paid 1500/mo for *nothing* a 12x50' piece of empty water, and a $800 boat mortgage on top of that. But I had a boat slip in Redondo beach, and my 'house' was ON the water... My immediate neighbors were 5 MILLION dollar houses, and... that wasn't considered 'ritzy' at all. instead of a 2 bedroom house in hell with a cactus and rock lawn. Oh and I also got free lane-splitting, fresh pacific air and weekends in Catalina with that deal so yeah, still way better. Yeah, it's expensive in California... because it's worth it.

And lastly, it's amazing to me that you are giving me grief for liking a place I don't even live in, and in fact being one of what how many guys on here who have picked CA and YOU are all butt hurt that not everybody digs PHX? PHX has one HUGE disadvantage which is debilitating nasty heat. And a lot of other defects as well: you have a batshit crazy sheriff, and an even crazier Governor, your legislature is racist & ignorant, and a laughing stock in the rest of the country. PHX is a frikken fishbowl of nasty suburban sprawl that holds heat, humidity and smog. But keep telling us how that 115-120 degrees is really 'dry' cuz I mean, that's gonna be the tipping point I'm sure.

I'll take the City of Angels any day over the one reborn from the fiery ashes of itself any day.

And I'll give you one more reason why Socal is the best place to live/ride year round: A nicer bunch of people you will not find anywhere else http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318376
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #194
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Live in socal in a city that ends in "Beach".

Local rides are awesome. Can do it any time of year, I personally prefer Fall/Winter/Spring to Summer, as it's much cooler inland. The excellent climate of socal only extends about 5-10 miles from the coast, beyond that it's a desert.

The major bummer about socal is that it's not a good jumping off point for distance riding. You can't go west, and I have not much interest in going south into Mexico. Going north and staying along the coast is awesome, but if you live in OC like me, you first have to go through LA first, which is hell.

Going east or northeast is hot. Really hot. I dislike 100*F riding. Not that I won't do it to get to riding I like. Any summer ride to places I enjoy that are inland (Mammoth/Yosemite, Sequoia/Kings parks, SW Utah) involves 250-400 miles of 100*F heat.

My wild ass uneducated guess for best place to live to ride...maybe Cedar City/St. George or somewhere farther north on the coast of California. SW Utah can be a bit hot, but you can go north and east in the summer and south and west in the winter.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #195
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am genuinely curious is lane splitting legal in all of Australia? In CA it's basically "not illegal" but in rural areas they dislike it highly whereas in LA or SD it's a way of life.
no
but everybody does it.
been doing it over 30 yrs
coppers just ignore me
cheers

never been booked
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote