Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #196
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
I lost track... Who here has the biggest dick?

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #197
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
My wild ass uneducated guess for best place to live to ride...maybe Cedar City/St. George or somewhere farther north on the coast of California. SW Utah can be a bit hot, but you can go north and east in the summer and south and west in the winter.
Interesting . . . a SoCal guy suggesting SW Utah. Easy to gain/lose thousands of feet in elevation within 30 minutes of St. George. Cedar City is a bit cold for winter riding.

How many guys from SoCal come to SW Utah on moto vacations? . . . Tons.

How many guys from SW Utah go to SoCal in moto vacations? . . . None. SoCal is nice for lots of reasons, but no one from Utah takes a bike to SoCal unless they are going to Baja.

Plus don't forget about those rebellious Mormon gals . . .

NorCal may have the weather and paved roads, but does it have dirt roads?

And the OP said "live and ride" -- For housing costs in SW Utah vs. Cali (and state income taxes) the happy inmate can buy lots of extra bikes!!!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #198
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Interesting . . . a SoCal guy suggesting SW Utah. Easy to gain/lose thousands of feet in elevation within 30 minutes of St. George. Cedar City is a bit cold for winter riding.

How many guys from SW Utah go to SoCal in moto vacations? . . . None. SoCal is nice for lots of reasons, but no one from Utah takes a bike to SoCal unless they are going to Baja.

And the OP said "live and ride" -- For housing costs in SW Utah vs. Cali (and state income taxes) the happy inmate can buy lots of extra bikes!!!
Hey, I already admitted that SW Utah might be in the running. Why are you personally attacking me!?

You are right about Norcal, there is zero dirt. One OHV park that is threatened with closure every year.

I think the problem you got in SW Utah though is since there are no cities, there's no jobs to go with em. Right?

So I guess we need the OP to clarify, are we looking for the best place to ride, or the best place to retire and ride?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #199
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Just a Guess

I'll bet the people that really like where they live and ride, well, I wouldn't say come here it's great. Or, their great will turn into shit. Seems like all the good riding places have been turned into private property. Come to think about it when I was younger I loved riding on all those places that are now what we refer to as "land grabbed", all other places off limits. O well surely there is a hell.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #200
Tonk OP
Frozen Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
And the OP said "live and ride" -- For housing costs in SW Utah vs. Cali (and state income taxes) the happy inmate can buy lots of extra bikes!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the great info on all the great places to ride. My riding destinations have grow exponentially by reading all of this.

Cost of living does carry a ton of weight. SoCal is high on the list and I could transfer out there with my same employer but man is it $$$$$. Phoenix has always interested me and I've thought about riding out in the fall and leaving the bike for the winter at my sisters. Then reality hits and I realize I'd never have time in the winter to make it worth the ride out. Someday I hopeh.

Keep the places coming and for the international guy..... Lets hear about your great places too.

Thanks and ride safe!!!!
Tonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #201
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,102
Quote:

I have spent tons of time in Cedar City..St George..Moab..one nagging problem...you can't afford to drink..

The wife and I would move there in a heartbeat..if there were work..and the mormons would let us live in Santa Clara..
VEGASGSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #202
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Southwest Utah, St. George area, is low elevation, about 2,500 ft. Almost never snows, perhaps 1 day in 5 years, melts before noon. But, lots of high elevation around. Mountains above 10,000 ft less than 1 hour from St. George so easy to escape to elevation with cooler temps during the hotter days of summer. Very easy to ride 365 days a year!

The women are beautiful, even if they are not your wives . . . no doubt, Utah is weird about booze. That is undeniable.
I have to come and check it out better. I haven't been able to spend much time in UT, and I only have an occasional drink, so CO microbrews and CA wines are close enough to sample from occasional weekend trips. Moab, Bonneville Salt Flats, the Great Salt Lake, and Green River have always been beautiful when I've passed through.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #203
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 705
Highly Entertaining

Great thread, and I like hearing from the international guys as well.

Also, you guys really beat me up on the Pendleton thing, damn! Maybe the instructor was full of shit, guy was a bit of a loose cannon and you can prove anything with statistics. But anybody that has spent any time in SD knows just how many military dudes own bikes. Huge amount.

One thing that was not brought up much yet (one post had an LA thread) is that whatever type of riding you're into, there are guys out here already doing it that you can ride with-track, dual sport, pirate, adv, trials, straight motocross, you name it it's here already and you can join in the fun.

Also, the major training schools/courses/workshops are out here or always rotate through here: Keith Code, Lee Parks, Motoventures, Rawhyde and a bunch more.

Whatever. All areas have their benefits and detractors. Regarding AZ: never been there in the summer, seems like they all come to San Diego in the summer for the beach. AZ plates everywhere. Went to a bachelor party in Scottsdale in the winter and it was all time. Pleasantly surprised.
stoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #204
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I lost track... Who here has the biggest dick?
that would be those of us from NH
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/celebrit...-by-penis-size
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #205
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
Yep, just like the article says: Dudes in New Hampshire are delusional.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #206
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Cheers OP.

It was the same for me. Cost of living is a huge reality, because as much as we love to ride there's definitely more to life than just that. Being able to afford a good place to live in a nice area is always welcome, at least for me. On average, as you already know the housing costs in Southern California are going to be dramatically more than pretty much anywhere else you pick, but if you have a good job you can transfer with it's definitely worth consideration. Do your research on the housing market and decide yourself if it's something you're willing to accept. Also on that note, be careful with California (or ANY city) before you move there about what area you move into, don't be mislead into a bad area with a low cost of real estate, always visit first and give it a check out.

If you ended up in SoCal I'd recommend one of the beach towns of North County if you ended up in San Diego, that way not only are you more centrally located but you have better riding roads closer by (Palomar Mountain, HWY74, etc) less congestion and more of the beach thing closer by. In the Los Angeles area, parts of the San Fernando Valley is worth noting for quality and price. Orange County actually has "some" good deals to be found if you know where to look and live, checking areas out like Irvine, Santa Ana, Costa Mesa, Tustin and parts of Anaheim. There's definitely a lot of good to be said for California but please do not think it is the only nice year-round riding spot in the world and that nothing else can compare, coming from a guy who lived there almost twenty years and rode around all the time.

I can't speak on behalf of many other places even though I've been to them due to a lack of really living there and getting a feel for them. Washington, Oregon, those are definitely options and very beautiful but depending on where you are it will get quite chilly in the winter time. Salt Lake City gets a fair share of snow, so I personally wouldn't consider it the best for year round riding. Lots of places are beautiful, not too many cites in the US I don't like but we're talking year round motorcycling. Another city that was mentioned that is usually much lesser known and very beautiful is Albuquerque, I can confirm that there is year round riding there, low cost of living and very well kept but during the winter a rogue snow storm can come and make it un-rideable for a few days and it can get quite chilly.

If you don't mind a dry heat (meaning, not the humid and heavy kind you would feel in some where like Louisiana in the dead of the summer) but just dry, desert and hot, Phoenix is certainly worth a very serious consideration. You mentioned coming in the winter but not having time, I recommend you come in the summer. Everyone knows it's beautiful here all winter long, the question is that pesky summer heat, so come in the summer and see what you think of it and if you can deal with it. I never thought I could handle it after spending so much time in SoCal till I visited and found out it was hugely exaggerated and not a very big deal at all. In all actuality I personally like it, it's not all bad but you will be wearing a light mesh summer jacket or you will get pretty toasty in the summer. You just have to learn how to dress in it and how to handle it. Another thing to keep in mind is that in the desert it's a lot easier to cool off than warm up in some where extremely cold.

The housing market is really good here right now and expanding. It's not hard to get a two story, four bedroom home in a very nice area for around 200k if you look around, one story ranch homes can go as low as 150k for something new in a good area. The city itself is great fun to ride around in, very big spacious and wide lanes and because of the climate the roads stay in very good condition, if they don't they are repaved very quickly. Phoenix and "most" of Arizona (certainly not Flagstaff) is quite anal about keeping the roads in very good condition. Within the city you have some really cool places to ride like the Scenic Sonoran Desert Drive, the twisty road up to the lookout of South Mountain (our version of Angeles Crest) and some neat places just outside of town within a short distance, like the Apache Trail, the road to Payson, HWY 89 and 89A up through Prescott and Jerome, into Sedona. I could sit here all day and name the great rides, well kept, twisty and scenic roads through valleys, deserts and mountains within about a two hour ride of Phoenix. If you want to go a little further (3~ish hours) you have places like Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon, a little further and you're in Moab Utah, so definitely some amazing trails. There's a ton of OHV trails right around Phoenix as well and lots of trails that aren't on the registered map that you can run down and explore. There's also a lot of neat little old western towns like Cave Creek, Wickenburg and Goldfield right around the city and even more out in the desert. They're usually huge biker hangouts for every kind of bike as well, always fun to take a visit out too them on the weekend. Also not sure how into sports you are but we have them all in pro, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey and some world class golfing if you're into that. There's also lots of great hiking trails right around the city as well.

Again, you said the place has interested you so don't spend a lifetime wondering what you might have missed. Be SURE you visit the top places you have in question and research them (not just here) before you move so you know you made the right choice. I love pictures so I'll post some that I have of Phoenix and the surrounding areas. Let us know where you visit and decide to go OP. Send me a PM if you visit or decide to move here, would be happy to show you some of the good rides.

Zeid screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 12:59 PM
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #207
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post

This is based on the average number of days between 25F and 95F. It ignores rain, snow and icy roads. Personally I'm comfortable from 40F to 100F, YMMV as they say...
Ignores snow and icy roads? Well in that case it does not represent reality very well.

I´ll happily ride in any sort of heat, that Mother Nature can bring me, compared to riding on ice and snow. That´s a whole different ballgame.

Also very cold temperatures are much more easily do-able, if those two elements stay away.

Pecha72 screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 01:54 PM
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #208
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Can you lane split in your state? If not, sorry but you lose. BECAUSE Lane splitting makes other drivers more aware of and accepting of bikes. You may disagree, it's perfectly your right to be wrong.
You can lane split anywhere. Lane splitting here doesnt make me feel very accepted though.. unless they're honking at how awesome it is.

The whole lane splitting thing is kind of a silly argument, i'd much rather live somewhere where I never needed to.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #209
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Ignores snow and icy roads? Well in that case it does not represent reality very well.

I´ll happily ride in any sort of heat, that Mother Nature can bring me, compared to riding on ice and snow. That´s a whole different ballgame.

Also very cold temperatures are much more easily do-able, if those two elements stay away.
snow & ice is no different than dry roads, just different tires, its not that big a deal
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #210
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
You can lane split anywhere. Lane splitting here doesnt make me feel very accepted though.. unless they're honking at how awesome it is.

The whole lane splitting thing is kind of a silly argument, i'd much rather live somewhere where I never needed to.
Well you got me on your first point.

I've done it in WA but I do fear the $250 ticket.

As far as your second point though, I don't think such a place exists. And Like I said I feel very strongly that Splitting actually makes for better drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
snow & ice is no different than dry roads, just different tires, its not that big a deal
I think you're going to be very much in the minority on that one.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale