Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #211
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
I lost track... Who here has the biggest dick?
Apparently xymotic!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #212
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
As far as your second point though, I don't think such a place exists.

You apparently haven't been very many places. Where I grew up, in California, the nearest 4-lane highway was 80 miles away. My parents live about 200 miles from any 4-lane highways. It is tough to do much lane splitting on a 2-lane highway.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #213
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
You apparently haven't been very many places. Where I grew up, in California, the nearest 4-lane highway was 80 miles away. My parents live about 200 miles from any 4-lane highways. It is tough to do much lane splitting on a 2-lane highway.
Again, Most lane splitting in CA actually occurs on surface streets. You don't have any red lights in your current state?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #214
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Apparently xymotic!

Jim
It's true, I'm SEVERAL cm above 'average' and al I can say is thank god for the 2" dudes that blew the bell (end) curve on that test.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #215
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Again, Most lane splitting in CA actually occurs on surface streets. You don't have any red lights in your current state?
The town I grew up in had one stop light, the town where my parents live has zero. So, there are obviously places where there is no need to do any lane splitting, they probably far outnumber the places where it is beneficial.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #216
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
The town I grew up in had one stop light, the town where my parents live has zero. So, there are obviously places where there is no need to do any lane splitting, they probably far outnumber the places where it is beneficial.
Yes, but are any of those places the 'best place' to live and ride year round? And certainly those places are hard to move 'to' and get a job unless it's a lucky fluke. I like rural living quite a lot but it seems like the argument against splitting is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

You're very likely to get a ticket splitting in Yreka or Susanville, doesn't mean it should be outlawed in LA. And again, it does train drivers to treat motorcycles better.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #217
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
What ever you do, STAY OUT OF TEXAS!!
There are no National Forests, No mountains, No praries, No deserts, No coast lines, No forests, No twisties. Despite all the things you hear the economy sucks and there is no good road surfaces on any road, street, highway or interstate. There are no jobs no pretty wemmins, and no opportunity. It gets hot and in parts of the state humid.
Everyone carries gunnz cause the crime is terrible.
We have enough bad drivers and blue hairs. The last thing we need here is some over confident underachiever, who wouldn't like it here anyway, to botch the zen.

If that don't skeer you off, well come on down.

txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #218
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,716
I rode for five hours here in Western NC and Eastern TN and DID NOT need to lane split once. I did have to stop at one red light in the five hours.
Beautiful day here in the mountains.

Man, I wish I was in that LA traffic so I could lane split. Oh wait, I was on my Ural, no lane splitting anyway.

Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #219
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
How may lines of cars did you have to follow through those mountains? Leaflookers used to frustrate the hell out of me, Richard Russell, BRP, even the smaller roads connecting Blairsvile to Robinsville and such. But I guess I moved out to NoCal with all the other douchebags to not have to deal will all that BS.

As far as Phoenix, its got a hell of a future. Literally:
From William
....The nation’s 13th largest metropolitan area (nudging out Detroit) crams 4.3 million people into a low bowl in a hot desert, where horrific heat waves and windstorms visit it regularly. It snuggles next to the nation’s largest nuclear plant and, having exhausted local sources, it depends on an improbable infrastructure to suck water from the distant (and dwindling) Colorado River.

....where readings commonly exceed 100F for more than 100 days a year. In 2011, the city set a new record for days over 110F: there were 33 of them, more than a month of spectacularly superheated days

....All along, everyone knew that the furious extraction of groundwater couldn’t last, so they fixed their hopes on a new bonanza called the Central Arizona Project (CAP), a river-sized, open-air canal supported by an elaborate array of pumps, siphons, and tunnels that would bring Colorado River water across the breadth of Arizona to Phoenix and Tucson.......The concession California forced on Arizona was simple: it had to agree that its CAP water rights would take second place to California’s claims.

....This means one thing: once the inevitable day comes when there isn’t enough water to go around, the CAP will absorb the shortage down to the last drop before California even begins to turn off its faucets.

Not that Socal's prospects look much better from a resource perspective.

wizz screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 08:05 PM
wizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #220
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
My vote is Arkansas. We can ride year round except for snow or ice day here and there. Great twisties, gravel and trails in NWA.
+1 it is very good and low cost of living to boot. Shoot the dirt and gravel county roads are great.

And that map of riding days is just wrong. I lived in Houston for years and almost every day was a sunny day. Except for a few rainy days in Feb I rode all year long.
Shoot the year I bought the FJR I only drove to work three times and that was because it was raining hard.

But Arkansas is much much better.

California may have great riding but the cost of living and taxes is just stupid.
Sent from The Edge using TapaTalk 2

advmgm screwed with this post 10-12-2013 at 08:56 PM
advmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #221
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
If you don't mind a dry heat (meaning, not the humid and heavy kind you would feel in some where like Louisiana in the dead of the summer) but just dry, desert and hot, Phoenix is certainly worth a very serious consideration
there's one thing you forgot to mention. in the summer time it doesnt just get hot - ITS A HUNDRED AND 25 MILLION DEGREES. My wife and I kicked off our Southwest ride from there and when we rolled into town it was 120..... no thanks in leather, we headed straight north for Grand Canyon.

the rain felt so nice!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #222
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Yes, but are any of those places the 'best place' to live and ride year round?.
I don't think anyone disputes Kalifornia is a nice place to ride, its just a sucky place to live
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #223
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 3,983
SoCal is great if you ignore the traffic, smog, population density, horrific cost of living, shallow, materialistic populace, shitty economy and high taxes.

Lane sharing is nice, but not having to do it is probably better.

I've lived here since '73 and if my career wasn't geography focused I'd be gone.

But everyone wants to be here.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #224
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I don't think anyone disputes Kalifornia is a nice place to ride, its just a sucky place to live

Get rid of, oh say about 35 million people, and it would be a great place to live!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #225
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
i honestly think some of you wouldn't be happy anywhere! apparently its not where you live, but the person living there

seems some of you could live just off a topless beach on the french riviera and complain about bare tits and good coffee all day long

and omg FRANCE!! who would want to LIVE there!!??

and if they're french, where the hell are the fries!?!

Huntington Beach? oh, the misery of it all!!!