Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #241
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 494
After reading the combat posts back and forth on about Phoenix, I am actually going to make it a point to get out there sometime and see for myself, in the summer. No joke. I just want to know.

Been to Seattle too many times to count. It is quite congested with traffic. They should allow lanesplitting.

Eatpasta:

The temps in Santa Barabara (where NorCal transitions to Socal) are really nice for riding too, plus you can ride the stunning motorcycling roads around Ojai, like Highway 33 through Los Padres National Forest. So beautiful up there and not crowded, especially if you live in one of the smaller towns around.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #242
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
After reading the combat posts back and forth on about Phoenix, I am actually going to make it a point to get out there sometime and see for myself, in the summer. No joke. I just want to know.

Been to Seattle too many times to count. It is quite congested with traffic. They should allow lanesplitting.
They almost did. The head of the Wa Patrol called the Head of CHP who said he 'wished they'd never allowed it' and so The Wa patrol testified that they didn't want it and that was that.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #243
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,036
A couple of you are this close >< to taking a little vacation.

I'll remind everyone that this isn't the basement.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #244
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:

Eatpasta:

The temps in Santa Barabara (where NorCal transitions to Socal) are really nice for riding too, plus you can ride the stunning motorcycling roads around Ojai, like Highway 33 through Los Padres National Forest. So beautiful up there and not crowded, especially if you live in one of the smaller towns around.
SB is where socal transitions to centralcal. norcal starts at the Golden Gate Bridge.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #245
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
That's kinda like saying Kansas is a great place to ride except the tornadoes. For me, tornadoes are a dealbreaker, I have zero desire to be near them.

I've lived in Kansas for 10 years, and we've only lost one town to a tornado in that time
...well two, but the second one was little, so it barely counts.

In all seriousness, tornados (while deadly serious when one is on the ground) aren't anything to be scared of. The statistical risk of being effected by one is quite low.

http://sabolscience.blogspot.com/201...tning-and.html

and,

"How many people are killed every year by tornadoes? How do most deaths happen in tornadoes? On average, tornadoes kill about 60 people per year--most from flying or falling (crushing) debris. The actual number of tornado deaths in a year can vary wildly -- from single digits to hundreds, depending on many factors from both weather and society."

Considering; ideapart.com/2013/05/what-the-latest-nhtsa-fatality-statistics-reveal-about-motorcycle-safety/ living in Tornado Alley is safer than riding a motorcycle

k-moe screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 05:45 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #246
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
They almost did. The head of the Wa Patrol called the Head of CHP who said he 'wished they'd never allowed it' and so The Wa patrol testified that they didn't want it and that was that.
Bummer. I've always been surprised by the heavy snarls of traffic there, and then you see these poor guys on their bikes, just sitting and creeping along like they're a car.

Always had love for the pacific northwest though, its nice territory. When I lived in Missoula, we would escape the winter weather by heading to Seattle or Portland.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #247
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
I don't think anyone disputes Kalifornia is a nice place to ride, its just a sucky place to live
Hahaha. I agree.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #248
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I've lived in Kansas for 10 years, and we've only lost one town to a tornado in that time
...well two, but the second one was little, so it barely counts.

In all seriousness, tornados (while deadly serious when one is on the ground) aren't anything to be scared of. The statistical risk of being effected by one is quite low.

http://sabolscience.blogspot.com/201...tning-and.html

and,

"How many people are killed every year by tornadoes? How do most deaths happen in tornadoes? On average, tornadoes kill about 60 people per year--most from flying or falling (crushing) debris. The actual number of tornado deaths in a year can vary wildly -- from single digits to hundreds, depending on many factors from both weather and society."

Considering; ideapart.com/2013/05/what-the-latest-nhtsa-fatality-statistics-reveal-about-motorcycle-safety/ living in Tornado Alley is safer than riding a motorcycle
t
The fact that it's an irrational fear does not negate the fear part

I don't really like bridges and tunnels much either. I have to deal with those, but I can avoid tornadoes pretty well.

I will point out though that as a boater the Tornado that touched down in Huntington Beach CA and lifted a catamaran up on top of a piling definitely got my attention
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #249
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Bummer. I've always been surprised by the heavy snarls of traffic there, and then you see these poor guys on their bikes, just sitting and creeping along like they're a car.

Always had love for the pacific northwest though, its nice territory. When I lived in Missoula, we would escape the winter weather by heading to Seattle or Portland.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
When I moved back it took every fiber of my being to choose to slow to a stop because it just seems so 'wrong' And now with the NYC gang, and the similar gang here that wrecked a state Patrol and then taunted the cop, probably never gonna happen. I do think that once another state like AZ or TX does it and it works... it will eventually gradually spill over to other states much like Gay Marriage has.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #250
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,939
Quote:
agree. Just dont tell anyone about Highway 33..... it still kind of seems like a hidden gem of California....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
SB is where socal transitions to centralcal.
I have to disagree with that one - I would have to say it's Point Conception.
North of SB is Point Conception where the warm current from the south mixes with the cold current from the north. It makes profound wind storms and north of there the ocean is angry and forbidding. South of there the ocean is more calm and warm.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #251
wizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
I see what you're saying, but there I was speaking more in terms of culture. Ca has , IMO, 5 or 6 regions. South of Santa Barbara along the coast, central coast to the golden gate, north coast golden gate to OR, the central valley, the sierras, and the state of jefferson. One of the reasons its a great place to LIVE and ride. Its not some homogenous state of liberal pot smoking hippies and tapout douchebags as some would believe. Some of CA is quite conservative and some is extremely liberal. And the diversity of activities available is flat out amazing. I can surf, fish from my kayak, fish 6 rivers full of salmon and steelhead, ride 1st class roads, ski, and hit dirt all within 5 hours. And Bandon Dunes, one of the top public golf destinations in the US is 3hours. Live and ride indeed
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #252
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I see what you're saying, but there I was speaking more in terms of culture. Ca has , IMO, 5 or 6 regions. South of Santa Barbara along the coast, central coast to the golden gate, north coast golden gate to OR, the central valley, the sierras, and the state of jefferson. One of the reasons its a great place to LIVE and ride. Its not some homogenous state of liberal pot smoking hippies and tapout douchebags as some would believe. Some of CA is quite conservative and some is extremely liberal. And the diversity of activities available is flat out amazing. I can surf, fish from my kayak, fish 6 rivers full of salmon and steelhead, ride 1st class roads, ski, and hit dirt all within 5 hours. And Bandon Dunes, one of the top public golf destinations in the US is 3hours. Live and ride indeed

I would say it's actually Point Hueneme / Ventura and Grapevine that is the central/south transition.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #253
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,939
Quote:

Yeah, if you break it down, Cali should really be about 5 states; Southern, Central, Northern, Desert and uhhhhh other?

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #254
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Yeah, if you break it down, Cali should really be about 5 states; Southern, Central, Northern, Desert and uhhhhh other?

AKA People, Cows, the Water, sagebrush and the Sierra the other is Meth .
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #255
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
true this, right here. i mean if people consider a place with less then ideal politics for them and less "diversity" a less then perfect place to live, fine. but those things don't affect day to day life imo unless constantly thinking about them or weighed down emotionally, somehow

what you say about living 'n riding in Cali is true. some of the negatives i read in this thread aren't really about living and riding here at all. its about taxes and the governor and apparently something about the people who live and work here. its a big state, though. it makes room for all if work is available

but yeah many stereotypes of Californians still exist, and who we are and how we live. most are simply misguided or really do not matter for everyday life and riding. you can say you don't like her, but you can't really put her down, California

Cali, knows how to party. and ride