Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #316
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Link to where you found this definition?

I opened my dictonary.
k-moe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #317
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Which dictionary? Are you sure you didn't find this on the internet? Remember, not everything you read on the internet is true.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #318
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
not everything you read on the internet is true.
I call BS, Prove it!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #319
max384
Disgruntled Student

Here are a few sources that explain the difference between burglary and robbery. There are many more that say the same thing if you Google it. These just happened to be the most credible sources on the first two pages.

http://www.translegal.com/legal-engl...ry-and-robbery

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...rglary-robbery

http://criminal.laws.com/burglary/burglary-vs-robbery

I didn't expect to stir anything up with bringing this up. It's a very simple concept, which is why I'm quite surprised anyone is actually arguing it.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #320
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Here are a few sources that explain the difference between burglary and robbery. There are many more that say the same thing if you Google it. These just happened to be the most credible sources on the first two pages.

http://www.translegal.com/legal-engl...ry-and-robbery

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...rglary-robbery

http://criminal.laws.com/burglary/burglary-vs-robbery

I didn't expect to stir anything up with bringing this up. It's a very simple concept, which is why I'm quite surprised anyone is actually arguing it.
I see the problem. You are using the legal definition, where the other poster was using the common (and more correct given the context of the post) definition of the word.
I opened my dictonary because it's a reliable, peer edited, source (though the newest one that I have on hand is from the late 1980's).

EDIT: I need to recant. I think I've been misusing the word myself; for about 35 years. The key words are "force or threat of force," which can't happen unless the property owner is present. I feel silly now, because I've been working with my higher-level reading students about using context clues. Even teachers make mistakes. Thank you for helping me to find one of mine

k-moe screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 06:02 PM
Old 10-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #321
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Yeah, but by that criteria I was "robbed" in Whistler BC. I wouldn't say Canada is dangerous because of it.
Was it a pretty regular thing though? Was it theft attempts on your "castle" AND theft attempts on your person? Were you ever assaulted there because of something silly, like somebody didn't like the way that you looked at them, or because somebody was bored, in a group, and thought that you looked like an easy target to vent their frustrations on?

Quote:
I've never had anything stolen off the bike or my person in Baja, and yet I'm not sure I'd exactly call it safe there either.
Do you think it would remain so if you lived and worked there for several years though?

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #322
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,715
you guys are discussing legal definition in a thread about good places to ride....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #323
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
I see the problem. You are using the legal definition, where the other poster was using the common (and more correct given the context of the post) definition of the word.
I opened my dictonary because it's a reliable, peer edited, source (though the newest one that I have on hand is from the late 1980's).
You can keep incorrectly using robbery if you like.

I can only provide the information. What you choose to do with it is up to you.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #324
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You can keep incorrectly using robbery if you like.

I can only provide the information. What you choose to do with it is up to you.
See my edited reply above :
Old 10-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #325
max384
Disgruntled Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
See my edited reply above :

Damn, I'm not sure what to say here. Rarely does an internet discussion end like this...

Cheers!

Old 10-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #326
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
OK. You're right I'll Just STFU because my opinion is worth less than yours.

Meanwhile, you guys just keep calling me names... seems like a good way to run a thread into CSM but what do I know.

Your post is funny though if you think about it, you're saying: "what you said is completely true, but just 30 minutes drive it goes away"

You guys can paint California with a broad brush all you want, but when I make a generalization like "tennessee is Hilly" someone gets their panties in a bunch? In General, there's no friggen mountains in TN. It's 'cute' that you think 7000 feet is a "mountain' and all, but just no.

You can ride from Canada to Mexico on dirt in a few spots in the west. SO if you have an OHV park in your neck of the woods, it might be really, really nice. It's cute, and I'm glad it makes you happy to be where you are but to compare it to the riding in the west, PARTICULARLY California.... But just no. You're wrong, Bzzzzt sorry thanks for playing.

In Wa, drivers have a habit of hanging out in your blind spot and using the car ahead for a speed reference instead of paying attention. It's common to get stuck behind cars 3 or 4 lanes wide going EXACTLY the speed limit down the freeway.

Unless it rains hard, when drivers suddenly think they are invisible and start going 70-80 and will hang 5 feet off your ass so they can see your tail light.

Where I am in WA the riding gets a little boring too, the forest here is a Jungle, literally. It gets tiresome slogging through blackberries and dodging trees and branches that lunge out and attack you for no reason. (trees are just mean) But there's also desert and sagebrush 2 hours away. So What?

Someone wanna chime in and tell me how not everybody does that? Or if you go a few miles off I-5 that stops? How exactly does it invalidate what I notice about a place?

Ca still wins cuz it's got better weather, better terrain, better roads, better drivers. (and lane splitting)

((((IN GENERAL))))) and in WAY more quantity than any other place mentioned thus far.

Do you have Lane Splitting where you live?
You have one hell of a way to STFU!

Face it, you are trolling! That, or just not very smart!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #327
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
This is not just semantics. By incorrectly using the word, you've changed the entire meaning of the conversation.
I did use the word correctly. Admittedly, it may not be as common of a usage as most people probably use or see though.

Quote:
Were you home when your apartment was broken into, and inside your vehicles when they were broken into? If you were, than it is fair to say you were robbed. Though if you slept through it, than it's still dishonest to say you were robbed.
You may want to look up a few definitions of "robbed". A bank vault can be robbed without any authorized person being there. I was also in a vehicle when somebody attempted a carjacking, which would have constituted an attempted robbery by your limited definition. I've also been in vehicles when somebody tried to assault me or pull me out by force.

Quote:
I don't care where the word robbery comes from, that is inconsequential to the conversation at hand, what is important is what it means currently. There is no state where a burglary can be described as robbery. There just simply isn't. They are two different things. Robbery is where someone takes something from another person by force.
You also forgot "or threat of force". Try looking up a few definitions in different dictionaries before inferring that I'm being dishonest, unless you're just trying to be rude and/or to hurt my feeling.

Quote:
Burglary is where someone enters a structure and takes something. To tell others that you were robbed when you were in fact burgled is dishonest if you know the meanings of the two words. Neither are pleasant things to go through (I've been burgled, and slept through it, and it sucks), however, it downplays what actual robbery victims have gone through to say that you were robbed when in fact your house was burgled.
By your limited definition, I've also been the victim of attempted robberies and other thefts, assaults, batteries, assaults with deadly weapons, property vandalism/damage, and some drunk drivers ran down 2 of my friends in separate incidents. One of the friends was right next to me at the time, and was lucky to survive. Thanks for asking.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #328
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I did use the word correctly. Admittedly, it may not be as common of a usage as most people probably use or see though.

You may want to look up a few definitions of "robbed". A bank vault can be robbed without any authorized person being there. I was also in a vehicle when somebody attempted a carjacking, which would have constituted an attempted robbery by your limited definition. I've also been in vehicles when somebody tried to assault me or pull me out by force.

You also forgot "or threat of force". Try looking up a few definitions in different dictionaries before inferring that I'm being dishonest, unless you're just trying to be rude and/or to hurt my feeling.

By your limited definition, I've also been the victim of attempted robberies and other thefts, assaults, batteries, assaults with deadly weapons, property vandalism/damage, and some drunk drivers ran down 2 of my friends in separate incidents. One of the friends was right next to me at the time, and was lucky to survive. Thanks for asking.
You must be the unluckiest person in the world.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #329
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
You must be the unluckiest person in the world.
Not really. I'm still breathing, and I'm still in one piece. This is more than many people enjoy.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #330
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You have one hell of a way to STFU!

Face it, you are trolling! That, or just not very smart!

Jim

Hmm, so calling me names, and saying NOTHING of substance... is "smart" & not trolling?

Good to know, I guess my dictionary is broken too.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote