Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #406
advmgm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Well I for one am glad we had this little discussion and got this all settled.

Sent from The Edge using TapaTalk 2
Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #407
Kernalpanx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chach_86 View Post
I'm gonna guess you weren't hitchhiking very long.
I staged it for the photo... she just looked to good to not do it. But the car did stop, even though it was going the wrong direction.

Sent from my GT-I9308 using Tapatalk 2
Kernalpanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #408
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,720
I have now seen mountains in China that rival peaks that I have seen anywhere else.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #409
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
I have now seen mountains in China that rival peaks that I have seen anywhere else.

Note; I didn't say nuthin. He posted up a couple pics of impressive prominance to support 'best ride' argument.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #410
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Note; I didn't say nuthin. He posted up a couple pics of impressive prominence to support 'best ride' argument.

Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #411
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Your profile says "Steger". That's not "Chicago".

By "robbed" I mean that my apt was broken into, and my vehicles were broken into repeatedly. Nobody has ever successfully mugged me. I also tend to step in when I see somebody else getting preyed upon, rather than averting my eyes and heading the other way, and I witnessed MANY people being preyed upon there over the years. Maybe you're not as observant. Maybe you've also never worked late evenings, and/or worked or lived in a bad neighborhood. Maybe you always have other people around to help discourage predators. Maybe you're physically imposing. Maybe you never take public transportation. Maybe you don't have much direct contact with strangers on the street every day. You tell us.

BTW, there have been times that I've wondered about the bulls-eye, but then, none of that crap has happened to me since moving here.
I've owned a business in Chicago Heights for 33 years. The neighborhood is on south Halsted. So not exactly Winnetka. I deal with the public every day. I spend a lot of time in the city, from the south side to the north side. I have a pretty good feel for what Chicago is about. Perhaps I've had a half century lucky streak but being repeatedly robbed has not been my experience here.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #412
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,275
California weather report for October 21st

7:30 AM and it's 50 degrees outside. Sun is just coming up.
High today is expected to be in the low 80's
Annual rainfall where I'm at is around 7"

Weather wise you will find it hard to beat the golden state. Great Ski areas in the winter but it will be in the 40-50's in the valleys at the same time. In the summer when the valleys are in the 100's a short drive to the mountains will net you temps in the 80's or lower OR to the coast for 60's and 70's.

Home to the largest trees in the world and 1200 miles of pretty nice coastline.

Politically, it's a waste land. Some of the worst political environment in the nation. Businesses leaving the state in droves. Freeloaders moving in just as quickly, mostly due to the mild weather.

California has the highest peak in the lower 48 and the lowest geographic point as well.

AND Lane Splitting!!!!

GREAT place to visit!!!

Unfortunately my roots are too deep to move at this point in my life. Born and raised in California. I guess I'm the proverbial frog in the pot

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #413
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 24,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
California weather report for October 21st

7:30 AM and it's 50 degrees outside. Sun is just coming up.
High today is expected to be in the low 80's
Annual rainfall where I'm at is around 7"
And a couple pictures of the local mountains..

Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #414
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernalpanx View Post

Sent from my GT-I9308 using Tapatalk 2
Yet another reason helmets should be optional.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #415
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
I had never been to the sequoias until last year when I took two trips....

the trees are quite large. its bizarre and sad how the Sequoias shatter when they fall.

Here's the really amazing thing about riding out here - you'll get up a ride a bit and it will look like this

then you ride for an hour or two and it will look like this

keep going, it will look like this

not bad for one day of riding

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #416
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-M View Post
I've owned a business in Chicago Heights for 33 years. The neighborhood is on south Halsted. So not exactly Winnetka. I deal with the public every day. I spend a lot of time in the city, from the south side to the north side. I have a pretty good feel for what Chicago is about. Perhaps I've had a half century lucky streak but being repeatedly robbed has not been my experience here.
Well, I'm not making things up, and I don't believe that the FBI crime statisticians are either. They're probably even a bit low in their numbers, as a lot of crimes go unreported. As I alluded to, there can be many reasons why you've been relatively untouched by criminals/predators. I know firsthand though that Chicago isn't Candyland. I know it isn't Mogadishu either.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #417
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Politically, it's a waste land. Some of the worst political environment in the nation. Businesses leaving the state in droves.
Interesting. Are you sure that you're not living in Kansas
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #418
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I'm with Donsesso. I've lived and ridden all over and I can ride every single day in NorCal. Summertime I can escape the heat by heading into the mountains or out to the coast. We've got it all. Mountains aren't quite as good as the Rockies, but Colorado doesn't have the ocean. We don't have the smog or the insane traffic of LA either.
This....

Hwy 1 North and South of SF, Skaggs Springs Road, Hwy 128, ALL the Sierra Passes...(), The Lost Coast (Usal Road ), Mountain View Rd, the Marin Headlands....it goes on and on and on....plus, all the places to camp...... Winter....Coast/inland clear after a usual 3 day storm with 2-3 days of brilliantly clear, crisp days....ultimate Nirvana!!!

Oh yeah.....did I mention lane splitting????

My .02 cents....
Old 10-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #419
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,072
Usal is a pretty astonishing road but MAN can it be a mess. Someone on here (who remain anonymous....) told it was "a walk in the park" "no problem two up on a GS" "it hasn't rained in weeks"

yeah well..... I stole this picture from the webs. It's from someone on here...... our experience wasnt this bad but it felt like it at times

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #420
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Usal is a pretty astonishing road but MAN can it be a mess. Someone on here (who remain anonymous....) told it was "a walk in the park" "no problem two up on a GS" "it hasn't rained in weeks"

yeah well..... I stole this picture from the webs. It's from someone on here...... our experience wasnt this bad but it felt like it at times

Thou shalt not ride Usal within two weeks of the rain, my son.....

Jeeze...I thought EVERYONE knew that......