Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
The best state to ride in......emmmm, that would be the state I always ride in....bliss.
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #32
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
I'm partial to Virginia... *if* you live far enough to the west, a.k.a outside the Beltway, close to the mountain twisties in VA/WV/MD.

10 good months of great riding... 2 months of too hot or too cold.

But I'll put a Virginia autumn up against any season anywhere for perfect riding (SoCal is the only competitor in my book... but SoCal is one giant Beltway, unfortunately).
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #33
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Dry heat my ass! Phoenix is the worst place I've ever been in my life: 117 and 85% humidity. it was A-Mazing and not in a good way :)

And for me, I actually really loved riding in traffic in LA. It's fun
85% humidity? In Phoenix? Either you got here a day after a monsoon or you were smokin something pretty potent. Even then, there's pretty much no way for it to be 117 after a monsoon here, those cool it way down.

And the dry heat, that's the big joke here, everyone knows it- the heat is the driest there is. It doesn't get any dryer. And you judged a desert city because it was hot one day?

It's a beautiful place, very clean city, mostly new, fancy and well taken care of stuff everywhere, great roads, great places around it. Think Palm Springs XXXL. I will say though, the place is gigantic, very big and spread out a long ways so if you don't like big cities it wouldn't be for you. Unless you can live just outside of town in one of the communities. For me? I have to commute over an hour to work every day from North Phoenix to downtown and the traffic is horrible in the morning.

Zeid screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 05:41 AM
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 AM   #34
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
85% humidity? In Phoenix? Either you got here a day after a monsoon or you were smokin something pretty potent. Even then, there's pretty much no way for it to be 117 after a monsoon here, those cool it way down.

And the dry heat, that's the big joke here, everyone knows it- the heat is the driest there is. It doesn't get any dryer. And you judged a desert city because it was hot one day?

It's a beautiful place, very clean city, mostly new, fancy and well taken care of stuff everywhere, great roads, great places around it. Think Palm Springs XXXL. I will say though, the place is gigantic, very big and spread out a long ways so if you don't like big cities it wouldn't be for you. Unless you can live just outside of town in one of the communities. For me? I have to commute over an hour to work every day from North Phoenix to downtown and the traffic is horrible in the morning.

Ay yi yi! What side branch of Hell is that second pic???
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #35
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,558
North and South Texas (the North part includes New Mexico and Colorado which is owned mostly by Texans now anyway ). Great riding year round that includes mountains, desert, forests, coasts, and high posted speeds everywhere except New Mexico.

The Republic of Texas
released claim to parts of what is now New Mexico, Colorado and parts of Wyoming, Kansas and Oklahoma to the U.S.A. in 1850 and the Texans been slowly buying the nice parts back, piece by piece.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #36
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
Interesting thread as I have been scouting an area to retire to. After 55 years in Chicago, I'm tired of long winters and humid summers combined with having to ride 90+ miles to get to decent roads. Plus, the fiscal issues and resulting taxes are making me want to leave. I was just in central / north New Mexico. I like the high desert climate and pretty much year around riding. There is incredible opportunity for off road riding there as well. Last spring I was in western North Carolina. Found terrific roads there and in Eastern Tennessee. Summer heat and humidity may be a bit much though. I like CA both north and south but the living part concerns me. High cost of living and taxes could be a deal breaker.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #37
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
Negative... SoCal rules, nothing in the Southest worth a damn.
+1, riding here absolutely sucks! All you Yankees need to head out west to Socal!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #38
motorat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
are you all kidding.
nor cal is the worst! everyone should leave now and go anywhere else.
roads suck, there are deer everywhere and don't get started on the skunks.
please go to the east coast, everything is better there. even disneyland is better in florida.
get out now while you can.

i like roads with less traffic
Old 10-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorat View Post
are you all kidding.
nor cal is the worst! everyone should leave now and go anywhere else.
roads suck, there are deer everywhere and don't get started on the skunks.
please go to the east coast, everything is better there. even disneyland is better in florida.
get out now while you can.

i like roads with less traffic
That's Disney World out in Florida, yo.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #40
HeadShrinker
Lost for a Reason

Oddometer: 1,350
The Smokies can't be beat. I love the west, but there's something about the Southeast...
HeadShrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #41
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post

I was in phoenix (actually peoria) first week of august for a softball tournament. flew out from burbank @ 75F (it was cooler than usual). came out of phoenix airport waiting for my ride and couldn't breath.

if you like a furnace by all means move to phoenix. I needed an iced towel around my neck the entire time I was out doors. the two evenings were were out on the softball fields there was a mist trapped above. actually felt more uncomfortable as it was a steam bath.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #42
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I was in phoenix (actually peoria) first week of august for a softball tournament. flew out from burbank @ 75F (it was cooler than usual). came out of phoenix airport waiting for my ride and couldn't breath.

if you like a furnace by all means move to phoenix. I needed an iced towel around my neck the entire time I was out doors. the two evenings were were out on the softball fields there was a mist trapped above. actually felt more uncomfortable as it was a steam bath.
Thank you! :) I spent all of 30 minutes outside without A/C and it about broke me. I cannot imagine wearing gear and a helmet in that crap. I think squids are idiots but in AZ I 'get it' why they would ride sans lid.

It's a big bowl that catches everything, and in addition to being incredibly hot, and incredibly humid, it also catches all of their own big city smog AND a lot of LA's. In LA at least you have the beaches.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #43
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,756
LANE SPLITTING! LANE SPLITTING! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????
I don't want to live any place where you have to lane split.
I always say Southern CA would be great except for about 21.98 million people.

We have three traffic lights and about 7,000 residents here in Graham County, NC.
2014 Sky Team ST125-8A monkey bike
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P monkey sidecar
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #44
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
Don't pick Southern MO or Arkansas. Roads suck, trees are all dead or ate up by bugs., Chiggers. Ticks, Mosquitoes, Hail storms, tornadoes, Ice storms. 100/90 in the summer, 100 degree, 90% humidity. Bad fishing, bad hunting. Can't ride for all the damn deer. Sure houses are cheap, people can't wait to leave. Go to So Cal. Please, leave Arkansas alone.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #45
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
LANE SPLITTING! LANE SPLITTING! ARE YOU KIDDING ME????
I don't want to live any place where you have to lane split.
I always say Southern CA would be great except for about 21.98 million people.

We have three traffic lights and about 7,000 residents here in Graham County, NC.
California has lots and lots of small towns, AND Lane splitting

So you won't get rear-ended by a pickup at one of them three stop lights.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote