Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #61
FJ Fun
Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
My vote is Arkansas. We can ride year round except for snow or ice day here and there. Great twisties, gravel and trails in NWA.
Great roads, great folks around here. Reasonable cost of living.
Joe
FJ Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #62
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
Don't pick Southern MO or Arkansas. Roads suck, trees are all dead or ate up by bugs., Chiggers. Ticks, Mosquitoes, Hail storms, tornadoes, Ice storms. 100/90 in the summer, 100 degree, 90% humidity. Bad fishing, bad hunting. Can't ride for all the damn deer. Sure houses are cheap, people can't wait to leave. Go to So Cal. Please, leave Arkansas alone.

Rod

I make a couple of trips up there every year. Now there are a lot of places with good twisties, but what I like about the Zarks are lack of people. I can ride there on a weekday and have Push Mountain, 125 and all the other great roads, pretty much to myself.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #63
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
I won't deny for one bit that it gets incredibly hot here, but it is not humid. I have been to every state in America and lived in just about every part of California before. California is way more humid than Phoenix.

Yes it's humid in San Diego, but at 72F in July, I don't know it just doesn't feel as bad as 122F but thats just me!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #64
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
I just linked you to the humidity reports, the proof is right there. The first two responses in that link are very misleading and *gasp* also uninformed. This is taken from your exact link further down by the way...:

Fester Frump answered 5 years ago
Generally no. It's never humid like it can be on the east coast. What happens in the southern part of Arizona (Phoenix area & south) is they get these outrageous thunderstorms called "monsoon rains". It rains like hell for a short period of time, after those it will be humid until all the water evaporates - which takes less than a day.

GreasyTony answered 5 years ago
Only during Monsoon season, but it's not unbearable and it's not everyday. A Monsoon is sort of a summer thunder storm, so it only gets humid when the clouds are hanging around, but the storm does cool it down a lot as it's raining, and when it's stops, that's when you really feel it. But it's nothing like Texas or Michigan.

meintsm answered 5 years ago
Humidity is not a problem until it comes to the Monsoon that start soon. But that is hit and miss. But all in all there is really very little humidity in Phx. Most summer days are around 10%.

Look buddy, it boils down to this. I have lived in both places for years at a time. Have you? You've admitted you were in Phoenix for only a few days.

I'm not disrespecting any place at all, I actually hate to see people do that and gloat. California is a lovely place, if you can deal with the prices. And I'm certainly not saying it doesn't get hot here, because it does. But it is not humid and it is not nearly as smoggy as a lot of other big cities in the united states. It sounds like you came after a monsoon, another pro-tip is that after the monsoons and during that kind of weather it can kick up a lot of dust. Look up "Haboob" to see what I mean.
That's kinda like saying Kansas is a great place to ride except the tornadoes. For me, tornadoes are a dealbreaker, I have zero desire to be near them.

In Socal it's either forest fires or earthquakes, but again, for me, I actually like that Socal has buildings built with earthquakes in mind, and a fire never affected me at all. (people in 'aggrestic' may disagree obvi)

All I'm saying is that my own personal experience with phx was so bad I'd be fine never going back. I wouldn't even consider living there. I might be wrong, hell I might be misremembering it, but just bleh. Three of us in this thread have had similar experiences vs you saying we don't know what we're talking about.

Best case, it's just hot as hell. Notice I'm not advocating moving to Riverside or Bakersfield Either. they're hot smoggy pits. But you know, if I had to pick a spot to live and ride, Malibu, Ojai, Ventura, Newport Beach, Redondo, Laguna Beach, San Diego, Napa, Santa Rosa, Sierra foothills would be tough to beat... for me.

But then, I Really like lane splitting and driving fast so...
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #65
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Yes it's humid in San Diego, but at 72F in July, I don't know it just doesn't feel as bad as 122F but thats just me!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #66
khager
Studly Adventurer

I have been to most states including Hawaii and I even rented a bike there twice (kind of hard to take your own) Hawaii probably best weather yes, but too crowded and island (Oahu) too small. I would get bored with it real quick. WV, VA, NC, TN, MO, AR great twisties but not the best weather, too much rain, humidity, and overcast for me.

Texas has some good twisties in the hill country and good weather in fall, winter, spring, but summer sucks here. CO is the best summer riding around here, ahh the Rockies, but can't ride there in winter but no big deal, South TX is right down the road for me.

OK I've bored you long enough, now to answer the OP's question best State to live and ride in, money no object of course!

CALIFORNIA

Why? Because of the near perfect weather, and the variety of riding that state offers. From the great canyon roads near the coast, deserts, sierra nevada's, central coast mountain ranges. You can find great weather almost any day of the year, whether you have to go towards the coast to escape the heat in summer, or inland and/or up into the coastal mountains to escape the fog along the coast. Winter time head out into the deserts or inland valleys, or coast.

The bad tooooooo many people, and it cost too much $$$$$$ to live there. I would have to downgrade my standard of living, I know I have lived there before.

khager screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 09:00 PM
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #67
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 390
CA Central Coast

If your just thinking about riding year round I would pick the CA Central Coast. Mild temps., no crowds or traffic, go east, go south or go north and theres plenty of adventure and lot's of scenery. Two hours north or south and you can split lanes with the best of them in the big city. But there is a price to pay in taxes: property, sales, gas and state taxes will eat up your gas money real quick. Getting to be too much to take when you hear what it goes towards in this state.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #68
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 191
North Ga.

Is an underated place IMHO.

Look me up if you come to town-plenty of places to rent bikes-I will take you around.

1.5 hours you can hit the Dragon, 2 hours to the Blue Ridge Parkway-and right at the base of the Smokies.

Is it CA? Of course not. Thankfully so.
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #69
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
All I'm saying is that my own personal experience with phx was so bad I'd be fine never going back. I wouldn't even consider living there. I might be wrong, hell I might be misremembering it, but just bleh. Three of us in this thread have had similar experiences vs you saying we don't know what we're talking about.

Best case, it's just hot as hell. Notice I'm not advocating moving to Riverside or Bakersfield Either. they're hot smoggy pits. But you know, if I had to pick a spot to live and ride, Malibu, Ojai, Ventura, Newport Beach, Redondo, Laguna Beach, San Diego, Napa, Santa Rosa, Sierra foothills would be tough to beat... for me.

But then, I Really like lane splitting and driving fast so...
Another thing I really hate is when people speak on behalf of others. I see you and one other guy with the same notion vs. me. Two vs. one. I believe anyone with one eye and half sense wouldn't use that as a statistic. There are a ton of California Fanboys, I use to be one of them till I traveled around the world and found that there were other places that were actually pretty neat. I've also noticed that most California Fanboys (not saying you) generally don't travel much or they'll go some where for a short time and make big judgements based on short term experiences. New Yorkers use to be notorious for this.

Personally? Again, I try to never disrespect any location because I know there is more too it than I have experienced or given a proper chance. Personally I hate Vegas and think it's a overhyped @#$% hole full of everything that makes this world disgusting, but I also know I haven't seen every side of it. I know there must be some great people there and cool things I haven't seen. I know plenty of people call it home so I don't pass judgement.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #70
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,245
I grew up in Southern AZ, and spent 11 years in Vegas. Fuck that shit! The heat, the dirt, the constant dry dusty air. You can have it. Same with Southern CA. You get more than 30 miles from the cities, where there are "some" normal people, and you are again in the fugging desert!

No thanks, I'll have none of that.

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 11:49 AM Reason: 30 miles, not 3.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #71
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I grew up in Southern AZ, and spent 11 years in Vegas. Fuck that shit! The heat, the dirt, the constant dry dusty air. You can have it. Same with Southern CA. You get more than 3 miles from the cities, where there are "some" normal people, and you are again in the fugging desert!

No thanks, I'll have none of that.

Jim
How dare you express a view that is different than mine!!!!

I grew up in Reno, I largely agree with you about vegas. But, I like riding dirtbikes in the dirt. And shooting in the Dirt. So I can see why people like places like that. But I'm with you on the heat.

Reno would be nice, cept for the fuggin snow

Still, have I mentioned Lane Splitting yet? There's only one place where riders are allowed to actually ride, and that's Cali
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 PM   #72
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
How dare you express a view that is different than mine!!!!
You can hate Phoenix all you want, I don't really care one bit. I hope plenty of people keep hating it so that real estate prices don't skyrocket, because the place is already so huge and growing, eventually we'll run out of room and prices will go up and I will soon be in the market for a home so... Yeah. Also, a lot of people can't deal with the heat, don't like the desert, etc. Personally, there's no "region" in the world that I dislike (year round at least) and usually no city I really hate. All I wanted you to have is the facts on a few things, by all means you can have your bad experience here and hate it to death. I just don't like people to spout stuff off that isn't true about a place geographically and statistically.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #73
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 665
Lived in MN, MT, NorCal, Australia. Live in Socal.

Love this discussion.

Writing this from Minnesota while visiting family for the first time in years. Lived in California since the late '90's, Socal since early 2000's.

Minnesota is super cheap. People are nice. No traffic. Easy to buy a house here and have space and a garage. Weather is wretched. I went to Duluth to visit the Aerostich store a few days ago. It was in the low forties, and blowing rain. Sideways. Makes sense they manufacture suits you wear over your normal clothes. Plus deer jump at you randomly in MN.

Talked to a small motorcycle shop owner in Mankato where I'm from. Asked him about the riding here, thinking it would be awesome. There's not 40 million people here like CA right? Do whatever you want.

His two main points were that the winter is horrible, unrideable, and you can't really ride dirt in the country anymore. No matter where you go, there are houses. All private land. You have to pay to play here. All the land is usable, so people have built on it already.

Thing about where I live in San Diego, it's within a 12 degree average range of 70 degrees all year round. T shirt during the day, light sweater at night. No bugs. Plus you can surf and go to the beach. Ride all year round.

Twisty canyons. Hundreds of thousands of BLM land acreage of unusable land (to build a house in) to the east. I ride in the desert and/or mountains semi frequently. That's about an hour from where I live at the coast-at most. Totally empty of people. Lot of motorcycle industry out here. It's not a mistake. Mex next door.

Yes, it's expensive. Trust me, I know. Houses where I'm from are $80,000-$200,000. Super cheap. In SD, it's double or triple that. That is because there are a lot of people out in CA.

The flip side is that a lot of people = a lot of opportunity. You can do well here, just plan on owning a business or already being well established in whatever it is you do. There are more people here that can do business with you and hand you more money than in less populated states, provided you give them enough value in whatever it is you do.

ALSO. Lane splitting. Yep, it makes a difference. I don't care what you guys say. Saves me many hours per week on my commute. I see guys sweltering in the heat in other states, stuck in traffic just sitting, and it doesn't make sense to me. Motorcycles are skinny. They fit between cars. Why wouldn't you go in between? Saves time, gas, and makes traffic flow better. No reason not to.

I love riding year round, and riding cost/mountains/desert/urban city all in the same day.

Socal is where it's at.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #74
RowBust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I'm not in the US but interested to know what it's like around Marion NC

RowBust screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 10:55 PM Reason: wrong spelling
RowBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #75
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,649
i can only say the one place i have rode. greater los angeles. if it sucked i would dream of somewhere better to live and ride. but i can't, really. or at least don't feel the need to

if you know the area we have lots of good roads and routes to ride. getting through traffic for our legal lane splitting is truly surreal at times. at least after driving over half my life. traffic really isn't there. i never think about it

it only rains 35 days a year on average, just enough to get around otherwise those days. even if renting a car for weather on those days you come out way ahead as you get to RIDE all the others. or just use your SO's car or family van or keep a $2000 beater around and drive it 35 days a year. could be worse. i rented vehicles some days last year. half the rainy ones, i would say. hated it, but kept me dry and out of slippery stuff until the rains end. watch that slippery stuff after the rain, though!

if you ride in Southern California it means you can ride to a real desert, a real beach, real snow, real mountains, great cities, and freakin' Disneyland if you like, all in one day. or a weekend, at least. its a big area but all is still close by. i say "real" up top because it really is a place with distinct geography and weather. you can be dying of heat stroke in palm springs one hour and the next hour be in Santa Monica chugging cold beer and thinking "where the hell is palm springs?"

i like our deserts, btw :)

there are lot's of great places to live and ride year 'round, i believe. imo its where ever its a mostly dry climate, but not freezing. i don't know of cold, but don't like it. another good reason for SoCal to get my vote. the only vote i can cast, really. and i feel lucky to be able to say that