Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #106
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Portland and Seattle traffic moves at one third the speed of smell...always..I have overheated my bike more in Portland, than I ever did in Vegas..in the heat..and sand..
My Husky has NEVER overheated before, ridden from LA to Cabo, all over AZ and Baja, Up Mountains, Doing like 90 through bakersfield in 100+ degree heat and up the grapevine...

Twice this summer in Seattle. And it was like middle of the day, 2 pm and you just... STOP.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #107
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
I'm not buying the Phoenix Smog thing. Look, on my way home today I thought of you. I work downtown and commute to North Phoenix so I go through the center of town on I-17. The winds kicked up today... Now, in the desert, especially Phoenix, when the winds kick up it seems to have an opposite effect as it does in California. It kicks up all the dust, sand and alergens and it gets incredibly hazy and smoggy. Thing is, the wind has to kick WAY up for this to happen which is very rare because "The Valley of the Sun" is just that, a Valley surrounding by mountains to every side and within the city. BUT, when the winds DO kick up it makes it hazy and very smoggy looking. This again is a very rare occurrence.

Generally, the air here is very clear and clean. LA is the smoggiest place I've been by far, including the big east coast cities, DC, Dallas and Houston. If I lived in California again I'd never live in the city, I'd live in a beach town outside of them.

Also the heat is not so bad when it is a dry heat. I was in Louisiana a few months back when it was 94 degrees out, but it was so humid I couldn't breath and felt like I was going to die (although I will say the place is beautiful and I fancy it). Here, it can get up to 115 and it just feels like intense sun but isn't disgustingly hot as long as you don't go for a run at noon. Also the heat is negated by a very good lightweight mesh jacket in the summer, being as it's so dry it helps you. Why do you think the people in the middle east wear those white garbs and turbans out in the desert? It keeps you cooler honestly.

Phoenix is a great place for motorcycling. Year round riding, all kinds of cool little ghost towns and old western towns within a hour from the city out through the desert. Great little twisty roads going out through the cactus and mountains, fantastic trails and you are just hours away from SoCal, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, places like Page (Antelope Canyon), Monument Valley, Moab and all those national parks in Utah and another country if you're daring enough. There are a TON of motorcycles here too and people are quite conscious of them here as well.

I don't know how you gauge people's friendliness to bikes either. I've seen crazy people everywhere. Almost got killed once on the PCH when some old man decided he hated "Hooligans on motorcycles" and kept trying to run me off the side of the road.

I'll give you one thing. Lane splitting is awesome, but it certainly doesn't mean 0 traffic unless you're a complete idiot. Wish they had it everywhere. There's carpool lanes on all the loops here and interstates which bikes can use.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #108
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
My Husky has NEVER overheated before, ridden from LA to Cabo, all over AZ and Baja, Up Mountains, Doing like 90 through bakersfield in 100+ degree heat and up the grapevine...

Twice this summer in Seattle. And it was like middle of the day, 2 pm and you just... STOP.
Me and a buddy went thru Baker one time..on the way to Seqouia...in July..the temp gauge on my GSA said 126...

Thank doG that valley is only 25 minutes wide or so..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #109
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Me and a buddy went thru Baker one time..on the way to Seqouia...in July..the temp gauge on my GSA said 126...

Thank doG that valley is only 25 minutes wide or so..
Yeah, um, nobody's really heard me rag or insult on a place til you get me talking about Bakersfield. Even lane splitting can't save that sh*thole!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #110
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,440
SoCal.

Weather, lane splitting, two seasons ( beginning of summer, end of summer), lane splitting.

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #111
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomEOD View Post
SoCal.

Weather, lane splitting, two seasons ( beginning of summer, end of summer), lane splitting.
I like living in a place where I don't have to lane split.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #112
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,265
"Almost got killed once on the PCH when some old man decided he hated "Hooligans on motorcycles" and kept trying to run me off the side of the road. "
That was me. Quit calling me crazy or next time I won't fail.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM   #113
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
"Almost got killed once on the PCH when some old man decided he hated "Hooligans on motorcycles" and kept trying to run me off the side of the road. "
That was me. Quit calling me crazy or next time I won't fail.
Your honda was ugly. I didn't even know they came in that color. Next time, get it in gold like a normal little old person.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #114
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
bla bla bla.
northern New England is rural, not remote wilderness, 20 minute ride to a concert at Meadowbrook, 20 minutes to the beached at the ocean, 20 minutes to mountain skiing

no need to use highways to commute or travel,

if ya like the city that much, 90 minutes to Boston

NH is #1 in quality of life for a reason VT # 3

and if we want remote wilderness, thats close by too in northern Maine

and we got water, plenty of it

and no goddam taxes, less regulation "Live Free or Die" more personal choices and less "gubm't sez ya gotta do it this way"

is the riding better, no, but its good and we are the best place to live
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #115
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
Damn, Xymotic. Are you just here to tell everyone how much their state sucks and how great California is?

I bet you were one of those expats who spent a year there and had to move and just can't get over how awesome it was. Between the places I lived in California I spent almost twenty total years there living in the San Diego and Los Angeles metro areas, and I always had a bike. How many years have you spent there? Even if it is longer, I cannot stand this perception so many carry that it is the end all be all in great places to live. A lot of New Yorkers and Texans use to be that way but anymore they tend to be more humble. I also think it's sad how you came into this thread to pick apart the places some people live, but at this point I don't want you to stop, I want to see your reaction for each state and city- it's becoming quite the act.

Lane splitting is nice but saying there's no traffic is ridiculous... Unless you're one of those idiots who flies through the lanes going 60 when traffic is at a stand still, you have to still deal with traffic. Again, I LOVED lane splitting and wish it was legal everywhere, but to do it safely you have to do it selectively. Also, if you have a bike like my R1200GS Adventure with the big panniers on it like mine has, you will be lane splitting a hell of a lot less than a sport bike, unless you decide to take off your panniers and what self respecting ADV rider would do that?

Also, you are the biggest fanboy of any one place I've ever seen, ever. Even by California fanboy standards.

To the OP, you know what I suggest? Take a ride, visit all these places. Different strokes for different folks. You're suppose to be an ADV rider so go out there and ride to a bunch of places then figure out where you want to settle down. Pretty much anything in the Southern United States has year round riding.
well it is a great place to ride. and a great place to ride means a great place ro live. well, for me, at least

and it is true....traffic does not exist, really. you don't need to split at 60mph to have this perspective. but driving for nearly 3 decades before ever riding a bike helps

when in DTLA going north on Figueroa on a friday at rush hour near the 110 freeway with all those cars about? it's their traffic, not mine. i have no traffic just clear, narrow lanes to split cars with. they can be moving, not moving, or giant orange cones for that matter. but whatever they are they are not in my way, really

thats no traffic!

if on a bike =]
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #116
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 266
i picked socal because of the balance of good things it has going for it as a place to live, not just the riding. the roads are not the best (imo appalachia has the best roads), but they are good. the offroading is also not the best (for me NV gets that honor) but it's also good. the beaches aren't as nice as FL, but again, they're good. i hate snow, so for me the weather here is great. i have never had so much good mexican food as i have had here in SD. i would prefer to not have to lane split, but the fact that i can makes dealing with traffic so much less frustrating.

i've lived on the east coast, the midwest, northern NV, and now SD. the main reason i love it here is not that it is so great and wonderful, but that it's good in so many aspects of life.

my dream would be for CA to turn red... but i think that is a topic for a different thread and sub-forum.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #117
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Just to see where riders live... taken from here:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinform.../mv1.cfm#foot4

Code:
State	# of Motorcycles
California (4)	818,650
Florida (2)	574,346
Texas (1)	442,483
Pennsylvania	404,896
Ohio		390,522
Illinois (3)	350,292
New York	345,855
New Jersey (2)	330,489
Wisconsin (1)	317,656
Michigan	308,349
Minnesota (1)	240,289
North Carolina	223,305
Washington (1)	220,886
Indiana		204,407
Georgia (1)	199,620
Virginia	195,829
Arizona		178,928
Iowa (1)	174,263
Colorado 	173,231
Tennessee (1)	168,420
Massachusetts 	159,007
Missouri	140,947
Alabama		127,301
Oklahoma (1)	127,150
Maryland	120,122
South Carolina	108,371
Oregon		108,317
Kentucky (1)	98,495
Connecticut	97,963
Kansas		81,361
New Hampshire	79,267
Arkansas (1)	76,301
South Dakota	69,670
Nevada (1)	68,976
Louisiana	68,460
New Mexico	64,912
Idaho		62,623
Utah		59,430
West Virginia	57,564
Nebraska	51,376
Maine (1)	50,327
Montana 	47,011
Rhode Island 	33,085
North Dakota	32,668
Alaska		31,020
Delaware	30,498
Hawaii		30,498
Wyoming (1)	30,378
Vermont		30,071
Mississippi (1)	28,078
Dist. of Col.	3,539
Total		8,437,502
Old 10-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #118
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,811
Been in SoCal two months after living in NY my whole life, everyone really needs to move here. Head up the coast, go to the mountains for a good time in dirt or street ANY TIME OF YEAR. If you don't like biking all the time, go skiing in the morning, come down into the valley and play sports outside in a tshirt, or head over to the beach where for $10 you can camp with your bike on the water.

Per the original question, unless you enjoy riding through northeast snow and salt for 5 months of the year, no state there can really be a candidate. Beautiful yes... But riding all year? Naw...
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #119
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I like living in a place where I don't have to lane split.
Nobody forces you to lane split, I rarely do it, but at a red light 20 cars deep...hell yes!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #120
FTL900
White and nerdy

Oddometer: 263
SoCal totally sucks!! other than having a few nice riding roads, and good weather most of the year, the traffic is hideous, and you DO have to use the freeways unless you stay home like a hermit. And the freeways are terrible. Always bumpy, and way overcrowded even in the middle of the day. And $10 parking at the beach?? IF you can find a parking spot. Or you can get creative with parking, and then pay to get your bike back out of impound later.
I grew up in SoCal (a long time ago) and have visited several times recently. For me, it's a nice place to visit, but... no place I want to live.

Not Washington or Oregon either- unless you want to ride in the rain and snow. I've lived in both states, and if you're up for riding in those colder temps, there's no need to be reading this thread.

North Georgia & North Carolina are beautiful and have hundreds of miles of curvy roads up and down mountains, but they have frosty days and snow in the winter. Not my idea of fun, so the bike hibernates.

Florida has perfect riding weather year round (similar to SoCal) but it's really a large sandbar with not much for fun roads. And like SoCal, you have the tourists.

Phoenix and Vegas are DEFINITELY not the tickets. Way too hot in the summer to ride (except at night), and while there are a few good destinations nearby, there isn't much for good riding without leaving the area.

Utah and Colorado I don't know much about, but I'm becoming more interested in those states. I've 'driven' some of southern Utah.

Disclaimer: As always, IMHO, and YMMV.

FTL900 screwed with this post 10-10-2013 at 09:42 AM
FTL900 is offline   Reply With Quote