User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #121
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ycf5_gR...%3Dycf5_gRyORQ

Socal's great if you can deal with lots of people, too many for me. I grew up in Alabama, lived in Georgia amd Minnesota (no thanks), wife is from Tennessee and it is very difficult to find that middle of nowhere feeling on a great road in the southern states. There may not be as many people as socal but theres very few places without people, if that makes sense. Bring from the south, I never could get into the desert. Lived in San Diego for awhile and I missed the wet and trees. Great to visit though.

IMO its hard to beat North Bay San Francisco all the way up the coast and the PNW west of the Cascades. The weather is temperate, the southern end of this spectrum doesnt get as much rain as the east coast (eg Eureka, CA 39" annually; Atlanta, GA 60"), and a slew if epic rides (OBCDR, WBCDR, UBCDR, cascades, sierras, etc) are within reach. Plus the fishing is epic, the ocean and coastline is as scenic as anywhere in the world, and serious middle of nowhere is no more than a day away. Its as beatifull in the coastal range as the appalachians without evangelicals on every corner and a much more tolerant cultural attitude towards personal freedoms. Taxes may be high but nowhere is perfect, and I guess I'm in a minority in that I like living in a place (CA) where everyone can let their freak flag fly, who am I to judge.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #122
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Just to see where riders live... taken from here:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinform.../mv1.cfm#foot4

Code:
State	# of Motorcycles
California (4)	818,650
Florida (2)	574,346
Texas (1)	442,483
Pennsylvania	404,896
Ohio		390,522
Illinois (3)	350,292
New York	345,855
New Jersey (2)	330,489
Wisconsin (1)	317,656
Michigan	308,349
Minnesota (1)	240,289
North Carolina	223,305
Washington (1)	220,886
Indiana		204,407
Georgia (1)	199,620
Virginia	195,829
Arizona		178,928
Iowa (1)	174,263
Colorado 	173,231
Tennessee (1)	168,420
Massachusetts 	159,007
Missouri	140,947
Alabama		127,301
Oklahoma (1)	127,150
Maryland	120,122
South Carolina	108,371
Oregon		108,317
Kentucky (1)	98,495
Connecticut	97,963
Kansas		81,361
New Hampshire	79,267
Arkansas (1)	76,301
South Dakota	69,670
Nevada (1)	68,976
Louisiana	68,460
New Mexico	64,912
Idaho		62,623
Utah		59,430
West Virginia	57,564
Nebraska	51,376
Maine (1)	50,327
Montana¬ 	47,011
Rhode Island 	33,085
North Dakota	32,668
Alaska		31,020
Delaware	30,498
Hawaii		30,498
Wyoming (1)	30,378
Vermont		30,071
Mississippi (1)	28,078
Dist. of Col.	3,539
Total		8,437,502
really now

population of California 38 million or one bike per 46.5 residents
land area of California 163,696 sq miles or 5 bikes per square mile

population of New Hampshire 1.3 million or one bike per 16.5 residents
land area of New Hampshire 9,304 square miles or 8.5 bikes per square mile

who is it that has the most bike's?

that right, in New Hampshire, a resident is almost 3 times as likely to own a bike as Californian

if the roads and riding is so good, why don't more people own bikes ?
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #123
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
See, Florida "seems" like it would be nice, but I figured it had too many bugs. But Cagers actually hating motos is a pretty big deal. Damn I miss LA.
The lovebugs are the worst bugs down here for riders. The junebugs in Illinois hurt more, but the lovebugs are so numerous sometimes that I once had to replace the wipers on a worktruck while driving across the state and back one day.

Mosquitos and flies aren't too bad, but the heat and humidity are a PITA if you hit traffic. Forget about riding to work here for the warmest 50-70% of the year if you have to look presentable, unless your workplace has a shower and a change of clothes waiting for you.

The paved roads here tend to be flat and level...boring. There are a few with some curves, but nothing really challenging. The offroad riding is mostly sandy and/or muddy, but it's pretty easy to find in some regions of the state.

The drivers down here are idiots, and I've driven quite a bit in almost all of this country and many parts of other countries too. They aren't just blind, senile, and/or hostile to riders in FL. They also tend to be idiots. The drivers in SoCal may be nuts, driving bumper-to-bumper 6 narrow lanes across at 70MPH+, but they're much better about signaling, checking mirrors/blindspots, and not changing 3 lanes at an intersection, or not swinging a U-turn from the right shoulder. Riders here tend to be idiots too, and a $200 BRC is mandated to get an M license here. I still see all kinds of idiotic wrecks on straight, flat roads with good sightlines and no snow/ice/critters or heavy traffic. Lanes here are wide enough for almost 2 cars, and FL drivers still can't choose a lane and stay in it.

We liked Flagstaff AZ while we were visiting the Canyon. It made us curious about the surrounding suburbs. Albq, NM seemed a bit trashy in some places, but nothing worse than what we grew up with in Chicago.

How do most people like the areas around these 2 SW cities?
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #124
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
The lovebugs are the worst bugs down here for riders. The junebugs in Illinois hurt more, but the lovebugs are so numerous sometimes that I once had to replace the wipers on a worktruck while driving across the state and back one day.

Mosquitos and flies aren't too bad, but the heat and humidity are a PITA if you hit traffic. Forget about riding to work here for the warmest 50-70% of the year if you have to look presentable, unless your workplace has a shower and a change of clothes waiting for you.

The paved roads here tend to be flat and level...boring. There are a few with some curves, but nothing really challenging. The offroad riding is mostly sandy and/or muddy, but it's pretty easy to find in some regions of the state.

The drivers down here are idiots, and I've driven quite a bit in almost all of this country and many parts of other countries too. They aren't just blind, senile, and/or hostile to riders in FL. They also tend to be idiots. The drivers in SoCal may be nuts, driving bumper-to-bumper 6 narrow lanes across at 70MPH+, but they're much better about signaling, checking mirrors/blindspots, and not changing 3 lanes at an intersection, or not swinging a U-turn from the right shoulder. Riders here tend to be idiots too, and a $200 BRC is mandated to get an M license here. I still see all kinds of idiotic wrecks on straight, flat roads with good sightlines and no snow/ice/critters or heavy traffic. Lanes here are wide enough for almost 2 cars, and FL drivers still can't choose a lane and stay in it.

We liked Flagstaff AZ while we were visiting the Canyon. It made us curious about the surrounding suburbs. Albq, NM seemed a bit trashy in some places, but nothing worse than what we grew up with in Chicago.

How do most people like the areas around these 2 SW cities?

Hey Spacecoaster... Has real estate rebounded from Nasa shutting down the shuttle program?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #125
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
that right, in New Hampshire, a resident is almost 3 times as likely to own a bike as Californian
And Just like WA they sit in a garage for 1/2 the year

Quote:
if the roads and riding is so good, why don't more people own bikes ?
a) More bikes than any other state, period. By a wide margin
b) they actually get used on a daily basis (see above)
c) Doesn't count off-road and I'd bet there are more dirtbikes in Riverside county than in all of New England combined, AND they have places to ride those bikes too, unlike New England.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #126
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
Albq, NM seemed a bit trashy in some places, but nothing worse than what we grew up with in Chicago.
What part of Albuquerque did you go through? Most of the city is nice and well kept, but there's a few pockets like the South Valley and some of the South West parts (East Central ave.) that are pretty ghetto. Need to go into the North East Heights, Rio Rancho, Taylor Ranch, etc to get into the nicer parts. Honestly, every city has it's trashy parts and nice fancy parts. Oddly enough, I've been to some very impressive and fancy areas in Chicago.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #127
marty_uiuc
moran

Oddometer: 264
the chicago area, as a whole, sucks. i did ~10 years there and hope to never go back. no good roads, horrible drivers, terrible winters, miserable summers, and the pizza is no good.

the southern tip of IL is the only good part of the state, but if you're down there you might as well just go to KY. better roads and better politics.

the only redeeming value that IL has is the size of the deer... although the hunting laws are all sorts of jacked up.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #128
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty_uiuc View Post
the chicago area, as a whole, sucks. i did ~10 years there and hope to never go back. no good roads, horrible drivers, terrible winters, miserable summers, and the pizza is no good.

Yeah maybe so, but they have good hot dogs.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #129
ddennis669
Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I like living in a place where I don't have to lane split.
So do I. Green means GO!

ddennis669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #130
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:

a) More bikes than any other state, period. By a wide margin
b) they actually get used on a daily basis (see above)
c) Doesn't count off-road and I'd bet there are more dirtbikes in Riverside county than in all of New England combined, AND they have places to ride those bikes too, unlike New England.
and your still twice as likely to encounter a motorcycle on the road in New Hampshire where one in every 16 vehicles is a motorcycle, in California, its only one in every 35

I will admit, dirt bikes are not the most popular off road motorsport here, don't get me wrong, there are still plenty, in ratio numbers comparatively, NH still beats CA even in dirtbikes,
in recent years, 4 wheel ATVs have taken over and expanded trail systems dramaticly, in the northern part of the state, several towns allow use of ATV on streets and limited riding on state highways so that it ATV recreation has become the #1 industry and the economy in the area as a destination is booming

its all relative,

in the end, the benefits of living in New England outweigh the only advantage California has, weather for fair weather riders (whoosies)
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #131
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
and your still twice as likely to encounter a motorcycle on the road in New Hampshire where one in every 16 vehicles is a motorcycle, in California, its only one in every 35

I will admit, dirt bikes are not the most popular off road motorsport here, don't get me wrong, there are still plenty, in ratio numbers comparatively, NH still beats CA even in dirtbikes,
in recent years, 4 wheel ATVs have taken over and expanded trail systems dramaticly, in the northern part of the state, several towns allow use of ATV on streets and limited riding on state highways so that it ATV recreation has become the #1 industry and the economy in the area as a destination is booming

its all relative,

in the end, the benefits of living in New England outweigh the only advantage California has, weather for fair weather riders (whoosies)
Weather, Cage drivers that look for you, higher speed limits and less BS enforcement, way, WAY more variety of riding (and everything else) beaches full of better lookin women... AND Legal Lane Splitting.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #132
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:

I rode at least 275-285 days last year..it never gets too cold..if it does..it's short lived..yeah..you have to bundle up..but, not as bad as when I was in Colorado..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #133
Zeid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Xymotic, you have quite possibly the reddest rose colored glasses I've ever seen. Enough to make Elton John jealous.

I've never seen some one with such an exaggerated and opinionated opinion on something. I guess some people just need something to fight for. And if you think any one state has more beautiful women than another you've not been out much and you've certainly not been through the deep south during the summer time

Also as the above poster mentioned, you can ride year round in most of Washington, especially the Seattle/Tacoma area.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #134
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Weather, Cage drivers that look for you, higher speed limits and less BS enforcement, way, WAY more variety of riding (and everything else) beaches full of better lookin women... AND Legal Lane Splitting.
I'm a northern NH native and a Jefferson resident these days. NH got nothing on ANY part of CA. I visited last summer and wondered about all the slow pirates, but then I actually had to drive across the state, Franconia to Laconia to Sunapee to Charlestown, all on two lane roads. They're going slow because there's too much frickin' traffic!

Even the 'secret' roads have nothing on anything I can ride within an hour of home here, and the state highways have been so sanitized and straightened that an entertaining speed (if you had no traffic) is well into three digit territory.

Not much for women on the beaches here, unless they're in wetsuits, but I live in a college town and every fall there's a fresh crop of coeds.

Oh, and while I nearly never have to do it, LANE SPLITTING!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #135
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post

I rode at least 275-285 days last year..it never gets too cold..if it does..it's short lived..yeah..you have to bundle up..but, not as bad as when I was in Colorado..
Yeah, but admit it, you saw a lot less "fellow riders" out there didn't ya?

I ride all year in Wa, this place is littered with bikes on 85+ days. Not so much lately. And my big gripe in the winter isn't temp or even the rain, it's the lack of light. It's friggen dark here, all the time.

Another hobby of mine is sailing. Socal kinda sucks for sailing.

In Wa if it's not DUMPING rain people are out boating. And sometimes when it's dumping too. There's tons of places to go, lots of cool restaurants with private docs etc. Even with limited wind lots of sailboats, out actually sailing.

Marina Del Rey has 6000 boats that never leave their slips except on July 4th. Very, VERY few actual destinations to go to. It's kinda weird actually.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale