ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
andy3d OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
1190 Adventure - Heat and comfort feedback please.

Hi All

I'm about to buy the 1190 adventure R model. After much research I have two main worries and would love any feedback from current owners.

1) heat from under the engine. I will be using this bike to commute in the week and off road on weekends;) My current bike (F800GS) gives off a bit of engine head by the time I get to work on my 17mile commute in slow traffic. I'm worried that on bad traffic days the ktm would melt my butt!

2) comfort - My nearest dirt is a 1 hour ride. I find the F800GS super comfortable for a day in the saddle so I'm not that fussy but would like hear what 1190 owners think. I've read mix things about the R seat - some say 30min and foam is compressed to the base?

I did test ride the adventure standard and found it very similar to F800gs in feel and ergos but with twice the HP and double the torque!

Thanks for any feedback.
andy3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
coloktmGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I had a '13 F800GS and can tell you a few things in comparison:

1. The fun factor is not close. The 'spirit' of a bike is what makes me want to jump on and go for a ride. I've often had multiple bikes and there's always one that speaks to me more and therefore gets ridden he most. The F800 was ridden a lot because it had proper tires and would allow me to explore anywhere in comfort. The 1190 Adv R has spirit in gobs and is the most 'wow' experience I've ever had in a bike. It has the fun on road of a BMW K1600GT and yet can go everywhere the F800 could. Its the bike that when I walk into the garage, makes me want to go for a ride.

2. The ergos are pretty different. I had a much taller custom seat on the F800 by Renazco and the seat to pegs distance is shorter on the KTM by a lot, but stand over height is taller on the KTM. I had bar risers on a scotts mount on my F800, so that is also different, though not sure how different from stock.

3. The seat. Stock BMW seat was unridable for me after about 30 min. I have 2 200 mile days on the stock KTM seat and in relative comfort.

4. The heat. Yes, there is more heat. I only notice it when stopped in traffic and I mean stopped. If you are moving at all, I don't notice it, that said, it's been high of 60 here and lows in the 30's when riding.

5. If you have a long trip to the dirt, I would think that the 1190 would be a huge improvement. On pavement is where it will be the most different. I found the 800 a capable and fun off road bike, but on road, the 1190 is a blast.

Overall...just buy it. I can't tell you what a ride this is...the hype is real.
coloktmGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #3
SonoraDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I've got just over 900 miles on my 1190 R and can't say enough good things about it. I live in the Sierra foothills and have easy access to amazing paved and dirt roads. As mentioned above their is a bit of heat when stopped at a traffic light but when moving I don't ever notice it. Since you live in California you won't have to stop in traffic since you can lane split so it shouldn't be an issue. As good as this bike is at everything it does the heat will never bother you. Just get the bike. You won't regret your decission.
SonoraDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
andy3d OP
Adventurer

great feedback and puts all my worries to rest. coloktmGS sum it up well - it's the 'spirit' of the bike that is making me choose the R over the new 1200GS. I want to be smiling in my helmet - I also want a 21" front so when my 800GS is retired I a better dirt capable bike.
I also like the fact all the base components on a ktm are tougher then the BMW.
I did a 300miles off road trip with a friend where we had lots of miles of rocks. It the end of trip my 800GS front rim was dented in a few places I should really be replaced or repaired where his KTM 990 was fine. (both had same tk80 tires at correct pressure)
Old 01-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #5
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Last couple of days I have ridden here in SoCal in 80 and above temps and the heat was not a big deal. It is warm but this way I won't have to get a heated seat!
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
Argento
Wannabe adventure

Oddometer: 7
If you are riding with shorts in a hot summer day, like we had last weekend in down here, you can feel it quite a bit. But like others mentioned before I couldn't care less, the bike is some much fun that a bit of heat is no problem.
Argento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
mikewolff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Andy - I just collected my R and had the same worries living as I do in Dubai where it's fair to say it gets hot! In summary buy the heated seat which is thicker, has a heat shield now fitted as std, and has much better comfort than the stock seat (I'm 6'3" and 100kgs). I also bought, but am yet to install, some heat shields off Corsica101 off this site. Might be worth touching base with him to see if any spares remain?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=929116

It's an awesome bike btw...just superb!

Mike
mikewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
fhammond
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
1) heat from under the engine. I will be using this bike to commute in the week and off road on weekends;) My current bike (F800GS) gives off a bit of engine head by the time I get to work on my 17mile commute in slow traffic. I'm worried that on bad traffic days the ktm would melt my butt!
I can definitely feel heat but it's not unpleasant or really noticeable unless I'm stopped or riding slow. Of course, I'm in the Bay Area where it's rarely very hot.

Quote:
2) comfort - My nearest dirt is a 1 hour ride. I find the F800GS super comfortable for a day in the saddle so I'm not that fussy but would like hear what 1190 owners think. I've read mix things about the R seat - some say 30min and foam is compressed to the base?
I had an F800GS and I definitely find the 1190 more comfortable. (I have the R model.) I never replaced the standard seat on my F800 but I probably should have. If you're fine with the GS, you'll probably love the 1190.
fhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
andy3d OP
Adventurer

thanks all for the feedback. I've paid my deposit and on the waiting list - should have her in 3 weeks