ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #376
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
No one told them they were getting 3 bikes until they came back from holiday? Really that is okay in your book? Even the salesman said it was wrong. So tell me why would I put $500 down for someday? I was lucky that I went straight to another dealer when I found out and got one. It is wrong to not send the bikes where there are deposits down. Otherwise what were the deposits for?
When did you put your deposit down? It's another story if the dealer took your deposit after the allocations had come and didm't give you a timeframe. Our allocations came December 3rd. A deposit simply reserves a unit for you when it becomes available. Unfortunately KTM (or any manufacturer for that matter) doesn't work with the dealers when doing allocations. I think you are confused on how the process works.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #377
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I remember you told me that they allocated December 2nd. That is all good but my dealer did not tell me that they were only getting 3 until after they arrived. They or at least my salesman furthermore was surprised that other dealers got bikes that were not sold when they had orders not being fulfilled.

I had no way to know that I had to call around until yesterday. Someone either can not count or are playing some kind of game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #378
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Most allocation systems are just that, an allocation system, not a reservation system. Unless KTM controlled the reservation system KTM would have no way of knowing if a person had multiple reservations at multiple dealers. A manufacture run reservation system rubs dealers the wrong way. I know this from personal experience. Too much big brother (manufacture) in their business does not make a happy dealer. Happy dealers sell more products and make for happy customers.
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #379
LowSpeedHighDrag
KTM Dealer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
Most allocation systems are just that, an allocation system, not a reservation system. Unless KTM controlled the reservation system KTM would have no way of knowing if a person had multiple reservations at multiple dealers. A manufacture run reservation system rubs dealers the wrong way. I know this from personal experience. Too much big brother (manufacture) in their business does not make a happy dealer. Happy dealers sell more products and make for happy customers.
Yep. Pretty much. The last time we did something like was with Super T's and that didn't end well..
Old 01-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #380
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSmith View Post
Good point. My dealer has reservations for 9 1190R's, but his initial allocation was only three. Because he only got three, I don't think it makes him a thief or a liar. Just a good salesman. I'm sure he will do everything in his power to find a bike for everyone that wants one. Including buying bikes from dealers that don't have any reservations. Something he does regularly.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #381
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-Squad View Post
Good point. My dealer has reservations for 9 1190R's, but his initial allocation was only three. Because he only got three, I don't think it makes him a thief or a liar. Just a good salesman. I'm sure he will do everything in his power to find a bike for everyone that wants one. Including buying bikes from dealers that don't have any reservations. Something he does regularly.

No one called anyone a thief or a liar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #382
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

So what it comes down to is some dealers that ordered might have gotten 4 and others got 3. But surely the dealers were told on Dec. 3rd how many were coming. My dealer did not tell me until the bikes arrived that all the orders were not getting filled. My salesman convinced me that he was not aware that bikes that were pre-ordered did not get preference for distribution. In other words KTM just spread them out to dealers.

In total my dealer might have been that clueless about what was happening. I mean they never checked how many were coming until they arrived.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM   #383
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 770
That's what it sounds like.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:26 PM   #384
Fredii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I think some dealers are pretty much clueless. I was ready to put a deposit on a bike at a dealer in Houston but they couldn't tell me when they were getting bikes or even how many they were getting. At the same time I was reading on these forums of people getting actual delivery dates and quantities of bikes ordered. I didn't feel comfortable with that so I kept my money. Even when bikes started rolling in at different dealers I called them up and they still had no idea when they were getting bikes. So I pulled up the KTM website, found another dealer I didn't even know existed, checked out the website and they had bikes listed. Called them up and they had sold all but the R model that I bought that day from them. They even have a good idea when the next shipment of bikes are coming to them.

As far as I know that other dealer still has no bikes and still has no clue...
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #385
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Arrow Y pipe and silencer

I emailed Arrow this AM and got this rapid response from their office on the west coast.
"Patrick,
The weight difference between the silencers is just under a pound. The difference in the collector weights is around two pounds.
Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your interest in Arrow exhaust. I do not stock this
system here in the US. However, I am able to order it from the factory in
Italy. ETA would be a week from Monday to me. Pricing is as follows....

71495MI (collector) : $699
71809AK (aluminum silencer) : $599
71809PK (titanium silencer) : $799"
PatSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:22 PM   #386
Ossie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hey Fredii

I bought the 1190 Adventure from Mainland. I had been waiting to see the 1190 and had almost bought the Triumph Explorer. Just didn't feel comfortable buying a 2013 Explorer.

Got on Cycle Trader due to somebody saying bikes were showing up in different parts of the country. Was kicking around the idea of flying to Georgia to buy one and then came across Mainland's ad in Cycle Trader. I felt lucky to walk in and see both models sitting on the floor. Still went back and looked at the Triumph, but finally knew that was not going to satisfy me.

Everybody is right, this bike is unbelievable. Engine, suspension, weight, balance and handling. What more could you need. Really enjoying getting to know this new machine. Ex 2012 Vstrom 650 0wner.
Ossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #387
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
I guess if I would've just told guys what they wanted to hear we might have had a few pre-sold but I just can't do that. I had guys calling telling me other dealers told them they were getting them way before we had any idea when they were going to be here, much less knew how many we were allocated.

Dealers order what they want for the most part, except for the bikes they make you take anyhow. Some time later, usually about the time the first bikes we get a delivery schedule that shows us what we get and the approximate delivery time. Sometimes you get what you want, other times not... that's the way it works.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #388
Fredii
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossie View Post
Hey Fredii

I bought the 1190 Adventure from Mainland. I had been waiting to see the 1190 and had almost bought the Triumph Explorer. Just didn't feel comfortable buying a 2013 Explorer.

Got on Cycle Trader due to somebody saying bikes were showing up in different parts of the country. Was kicking around the idea of flying to Georgia to buy one and then came across Mainland's ad in Cycle Trader. I felt lucky to walk in and see both models sitting on the floor. Still went back and looked at the Triumph, but finally knew that was not going to satisfy me.

Everybody is right, this bike is unbelievable. Engine, suspension, weight, balance and handling. What more could you need. Really enjoying getting to know this new machine. Ex 2012 Vstrom 650 0wner.
Hey, I sat on your bike Tuesday evening just to see how it felt! I was torn between the two and have not been able to decide which model I wanted for the last few months. I really didn't want the electronic suspension but I probably don't do enough off road to justify the R. I'm glad you bought the standard because that made my decision much easier and I'm loving the R. I loved my Tiger XC but this bike blows that one away in every aspect.

The guys at mainland were great too, couldn't ask for better anywhere.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #389
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
California ?

Does anyone know if you buy one out of state would they be ok in California? I know we have that stupid 7500 mile deal on new vehicles. It does not appear that there are any in California.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #390
Jimkatoom
Not a nOOb

Oddometer: 23
1190 r

C L V -
Glad you got your bike! Congrats on a Happy New Bike Day
I also was 5th in line for an R, at my dealer, he got 2 standards, one R, and said he knew he had one more on the way. He said that because KTM USA charged the dealership for the bike, then shipped it, so it'll be here in Kalifornia in a few days... He said "as for the others(total of 7 Rs ordered) he has no idea when KTM will ship them. He apologized to me for the delay and suggested I might check other dealerships, which I did, and now I am picking my new R tomorrow from a dealer who said today he got two- one spoken for and gone already, the other available. Would I like to put a deposit on it to hold it?
You bet your ass! I did, then immediately called my first dealer to tell him I found one elsewhere, and he said," Great! I'm happy for you! You did what you had to. I owe you some money!"
Then confirmed my address, and said he was getting the finance dept to cut my check right away...
He also said, "don't be a stranger." And I won't be. That's the kind of attitude I appreciate from a sales person, and he'll get my future business in accessories and future bikes.
It is an AWESOME machine, isn't it?
Again, congrats on NBD!!