Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #391
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I believe the bikes are a 50 state bike from the emissions stand point. You are correct about buying new and 7500 mile requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph42s View Post
Does anyone know if you buy one out of state would they be ok in California? I know we have that stupid 7500 mile deal on new vehicles. It does not appear that there are any in California.
PatSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #392
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,434
Mine is home safely....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #393
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Mine is home safely....
Congrats! Enjoy it Mike.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #394
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Any more light on the California Issue?

I have found a few out of state willing to ship. Just don't want to waste my time if DMV wont let me register.
Joseph42s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #395
Joseph42s
Adventurer

The dealer says its possible. But what do they know. Just dont want to get stuck in a bind.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #396
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
I have found a few out of state willing to ship. Just don't want to waste my time if DMV wont let me register.
Years ago I purchased an out of CA state bike with less than 7500 on it. I swapped out the instrument cluster before going to CA DMV for registration. Afterwards I simply swapped back to the original cluster and bought some adult beverages for the person who loaned me his instrument cluster. Keep in mind there is no certification going on that the mileage shown is correct (like when you sell a vehicle in CA); like DMV told me, the odometer reading (on a functional looking odometer) is all that is needed.
Unfortunately there will be a waiting period until anyone local has a 7500+ mile reading on a loaner instrument cluster. That did not apply in my situation.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #397
Reese
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
I live in California and bought a new 990 from an out of state dealer last year. There is no 7500 mile requirement for a bike that is 50-state legal. Bikes that are 50-state legal have a California emissions sticker on the frame.

I took mine to the DMV with 12 miles on it. The DMV looks for the emissions sticker during the inspection. It's slightly more involved than buying in-state because of the inspection but there's no mileage requirements.
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #398
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
I live in California and bought a new 990 from an out of state dealer last year. There is no 7500 mile requirement for a bike that is 50-state legal. Bikes that are 50-state legal have a California emissions sticker on the frame.

I took mine to the DMV with 12 miles on it. The DMV looks for the emissions sticker during the inspection. It's slightly more involved than buying in-state because of the inspection but there's no mileage requirements.
Good point Reese. The bike I mentioned in my post above did not have a CA emissions sticker and was under 7500 miles. Sorry I confused the issue.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #399
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Reese thanks! I re read the dmv stuff and it confirmed what you said. I found one (out ofstate). Looking forward to it making its way to California!

Joseph42s screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 07:02 AM
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #400
Reese
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Good point Reese. The bike I mentioned in my post above did not have a CA emissions sticker and was under 7500 miles. Sorry I confused the issue.
No worries. I had a do a lot of reading when I was considering purchasing new out of state. There is a lot of confusion. I called the DMV main office and was given incorrect information. I had found enough threads here on the subject to be reasonable confident in the purchase and it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. Just hoping to save somebody else all the looking around.
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #401
Joseph42s
Adventurer

Any reason not to fly in and ride it back? Like Break in or what not? Could be fun trip, looks like 13hrs of drive time, but I have places to stay along the way. Could be a fun 2-3 days. What do you guys think?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #402
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Any reason not to fly in and ride it back? Like Break in or what not? Could be fun trip, looks like 13hrs of drive time, but I have places to stay along the way. Could be a fun 2-3 days. What do you guys think?

I can not think of a single reason Not to

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #403
TDsurf
Orange Flyer

Oddometer: 64
Big Christmas

Hi All, I picked up my Christmas present on Friday, an 1190 ADV R . I’m just blowin away. What a bike.
MY question/issue is: The tires that come on the bike are Conti Attacks, great tire for the road but not so hot for the dirt, odd they would put this tire on a dirt oriented bike. So I fund some tires I like, not so easy to find, Mefo Adventures. I think they might be a good all-around tire for dirt and slab. My question/issue is, can I run a tire that is designed for a tube, on my tubeless rims? And is this a good tire for running on dirt and slab?
TDsurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #404
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
The dealer in Reno has a Std model in stock

Quote:
PatSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #405
Jimkatoom
Not a nOOb

Oddometer: 23
My 1190 R is home

After realizing my first dealer couldn't get me a bike as fast as I wanted, I went hunting and found an R at Wilson's in Fresno! And it was available!
Gave the same deal I would have gotten before, and a better interest rate to boot. Rode it the 2 1/2 hrs home, and today, and it confirms that I made the right choice in models. Speaking of which, as of Sat afternoon, they had two standards available - an orange one and a grey one

To the one who posted about Mefo tires, I've had on my 950 ADV S and they are great tires...