Wonway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #438
veesquared
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Give it another try

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywayrider View Post
They are the KTM optional lights listed for the 1190. Had the dealer install them.

Rode it 200 mi. home and 100 mi. of dirt yesterday. It's everything they say and more I couldn't be happier.

On a side note. Be careful ordering aftermarket accesorries. I got some Touratech parts that don't fit do to changes in the 2014 model. I have not seen it mentioned anywhere but the info screen on the 14's is significantly bigger. A change for the better I'm sure but now my cool orange $80.00 GPS mount will not fit. also the side stand foot plate all the euro's complained about has been enlarged and the trick touratech plate is not needed and wont fit. Also the foot brake toe grate seems to have been enlarged so that an aftermarket is not needed.

Any 2013 owners want some cool stuff cheep?
The Touratech GPS mounts perfectly . You have to remove the 3 screws and washers and replace with the longer screws and different washers along with the 3 plastic spacers .It goes under the guagesnot on top. I have a 2014. I am using the Garmin Monterra with the Touratech lockable mount. Very close to the shield with little adjustment.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #439
skywayrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
Hi

how do you find the brightness and range or the Aux lights?
worth the 500$ ?
what kind of light is it? LED? Halogen ?

thanks
I like em. I guess they are halogen. They are a bright white but don't seem to range out past the stock high beam. What I like is the lenze is convex and gives a true 190 degree beam. Almost like having a cornering light. I got a deal on em so price is up to you. They seem to be high quality units.
skywayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #440
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywayrider View Post
I like em. I guess they are halogen. They are a bright white but don't seem to range out past the stock high beam. What I like is the lenze is convex and gives a true 190 degree beam. Almost like having a cornering light. I got a deal on em so price is up to you. They seem to be high quality units.
thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #441
skywayrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by veesquared View Post
The Touratech GPS mounts perfectly . You have to remove the 3 screws and washers and replace with the longer screws and different washers along with the 3 plastic spacers .It goes under the guagesnot on top. I have a 2014. I am using the Garmin Monterra with the Touratech lockable mount. Very close to the shield with little adjustment.
DUH! Thank you so much. I had the part so lone I forgot there was a parts bag that came with it. Took 10 min. to install.

Isn't ADV great!
skywayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #442
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKL View Post
I don't care

You need to come out of the closet and buy a Harley. I have never been on a trail ride and stopped to talk about how dirt style we were looking. If that is what you do fine.

However if you think your KTM no longer sends the message that you are a bad ass dirt rider at the pub now that the 1190 came out, I seriously doubt anyone here gives a flying f so do your whining where someones does please.

chief_lee_visceral screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 04:46 PM
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #443
Harold Waikiki
oldfatdumbbrokeoutof

Oddometer: 324
Mine is finally here. 1190 r. Yeah!! Picking it up tomorrow or Friday.
'09 KTM 530 EXC, '12 KTM 350 EXC
'82 Honda CT 110
Harold Waikiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #444
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
They just got them at my KTM dealer.

they look sick! I think I'm getting the orange fever.

My question is would you try and track down a remaining 990 or just get the 1190.

I'm also eyeing up the 690... might just get a KTM fleet going.
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #445
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo_Evans View Post
They just got them at my KTM dealer.

they look sick! I think I'm getting the orange fever.

My question is would you try and track down a remaining 990 or just get the 1190.

I'm also eyeing up the 690... might just get a KTM fleet going.
depending on what you want to do there is a huge difference between the 990 and 1190. If you are doing mostly dirt and have Dakar level skills the 990 is probably the best choice, other than that I would go with the 1190. either one is going to need fork work, but the 1190 is closer out of the box than the 990 was. reliability of the electronics is my only concern on the 1190, everything else is a step up from the 990 on the street and probably as good off road for the average rider.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #446
Flo_Evans
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills View Post
depending on what you want to do there is a huge difference between the 990 and 1190. If you are doing mostly dirt and have Dakar level skills the 990 is probably the best choice, other than that I would go with the 1190. either one is going to need fork work, but the 1190 is closer out of the box than the 990 was. reliability of the electronics is my only concern on the 1190, everything else is a step up from the 990 on the street and probably as good off road for the average rider.
Well my problem is I have to ride an hour of street to get to the dirt. I have a g650x challenge, I want something that is a little faster/more comfortable on the road, can handle taking more gear and is still not a huge pig once I get where I want to be.

I could spend a boatload improving the X and probably ruin it for what it is good at now or get a bike more suited to what I am doing.

Long term goal is a bike that can ride through south america, but the current reality is short weekend trips with some camping and gravel roads and a little single track if I can find it.

The problem is most of the time there are 1 or 2 big GSs in the group they tend to stick to easier off road and take their time.

I love the idea of a bike that can do it all but am starting to think a big bike for longer distance and a smaller bike for short dirt trips is better. Of course more bikes is always better right?
Flo_Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #447
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
I had the 990 (now an 1190) and a 300xc-w covers most if what I want to do. The 990 works surprisingly well off road and I can* ride it on some pretty tight single track but it isn't much fun for that. The 300 makes me giggle no matter what the trail is like
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #448
PBrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I picked my R up last night from motorbikes plus in Portsmouth NH. It's my very first "street" bike.

It started snowing just as I left the dealer. By the time I got home, there was a few inches on the ground, which made taking the bike out of the truck with my wimpy dirtbike ramp by myself a bad idea. I managed though. Getting the bike from the street to the garage was another difficult task, since my driveway is currently a sheet of ice. She's safe and sound now in the garage.

I have no idea when I'll be able to ride her though. It's not supposed to stop snowing until this afternoon, then there's no days in the forecast that are above freezing in the next week, although there is more snow in the forecast. I might have to wait till March.

Although they ordered 3 standard models and 2 Rs, they only got the 2 R models just late last week. The other R is still available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PBrad is offline   Reply With Quote