ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #76
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBlank View Post
35 miles? man, i should have stayed out on it longer...
I asked the salesman "so, what can I do on this thing?". He said "it's a demo, put some miles on it, head out 10 to 287, up to 80 to 280 and back eisenhower...you know, get a feel for the bike."

Clearly I had a different method to "get a feel for the bike" in mind

It took everything in my power to bring the bike back.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #77
MAXVERT
Rough Rider
 
MAXVERT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Sun Valley Idaho, Baja Arizona
Oddometer: 1,002
I rode both the R and standard models Yesterday at the demo in Phoenix.
I'm impressed.
It's the whole enchilada .

Of interest, these bikes were Euro spec. The throttle response was spot on.
One of the dealers at the demo had a U.S. spec machine.
Fitted with the SAS carbon canister junk.
He did mention that the U.S. spec tuning was less than optimal
and he had flashed the Euro map into his bike.
Hopefully we will not get the lean popping snatchy throttle bullshit that
came on the 990's

I'll pick one up if one of the local dealers give me a good trade in on my Multistrada.

That being said, my 990 is still the best true adventure bike out there and
I'll be keeping it for the "big" rides an using the 1190 in the U.S. and Europe.

The Phoenix dealers said they could deliver a bike in December.

Twist it, Max
__________________
Da oggi la strada
senza limiti
MAXVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:33 AM   #78
smj
Gnarly Adventurer
 
smj's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 184
I rode the 990 R up to try the 1190 standard... Not a bike for me. I like the controls, and the power of course! To short to the seat, don't need the power, would really like the controls on the grip - but can live without. Also, I didn't like the feel and handling... But to be fair, I only rode it enough to try it, not own it. And as it sat, the bike was way to short for me, seat height and peg to seat height. I am 6'4". Reminded me a lot of my buddies BMW - a very long feel over the tank and out to the front. I did notice the lack of power on the ride home... I'll take a look at the R when ever it hits town. I can see where the standard would be a great bike - but not for me.
__________________
Faint is the heart that runs from a fight, but it's a sorry set of legs 'let a man take a beating.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #79
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
I rode both the R and standard models Yesterday at the demo in Phoenix.
I'm impressed.
It's the whole enchilada .

Of interest, these bikes were Euro spec. The throttle response was spot on.
One of the dealers at the demo had a U.S. spec machine.
Fitted with the SAS carbon canister junk.
He did mention that the U.S. spec tuning was less than optimal
and he had flashed the Euro map into his bike.
Hopefully we will not get the lean popping snatchy throttle bullshit that
came on the 990's

I'll pick one up if one of the local dealers give me a good trade in on my Multistrada.

That being said, my 990 is still the best true adventure bike out there and
I'll be keeping it for the "big" rides an using the 1190 in the U.S. and Europe.

The Phoenix dealers said they could deliver a bike in December.

Twist it, Max
Please write a quick review comparing the R to the std.

I enjoyed my ride on the standard immensely, but the electronic suspension was lacking in all of the same aspects as the Multistrada does in my opinion so I would prefer "plain" suspenders.

I also think the standard is pretty darn UGLY with the graphics they chose. But the R is S-E-X-Y!

My biggest concern is how much will be "given up" on the street with the 21" front wheel. I was impressed with how telepathic the handling of the standard was.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #80
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat
 
nvdesertrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Nevada
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Please write a quick review comparing the R to the std.

I enjoyed my ride on the standard immensely, but the electronic suspension was lacking in all of the same aspects as the Multistrada does in my opinion so I would prefer "plain" suspenders.

I also think the standard is pretty darn UGLY with the graphics they chose. But the R is S-E-X-Y!

My biggest concern is how much will be "given up" on the street with the 21" front wheel. I was impressed with how telepathic the handling of the standard was.

ac

I rode both, the 1190 R and Standard I liked the feel of the R with the 21" front wheel over the standard. As well I felt a bit cramped on the standard. So I put my money down on the R, now just waiting for it to come in next month.

Theres my 10 cent worth
__________________
Doug
2009 KTM 990 Adventure R
2010 KTM 450 EXC
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #81
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdesertrat View Post
I rode both, the 1190 R and Standard I liked the feel of the R with the 21" front wheel over the standard. As well I felt a bit cramped on the standard. So I put my money down on the R, now just waiting for it to come in next month.

Theres my 10 cent worth
Can we get 50 cent worth?

How did the bikes compare on the pavement. We all know the R will excel in the dirt noticeably due to the 21" front wheel, but how much does it give up on the street?

Does the 21" front wheel still have that great planted feel full of feedback the 19" has?

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #82
Espada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 84
This sucks. Come on KTM, how about showing folks in VA and MD some love?! No demonstration bikes, and no official word from KTM representatives to our dealers when they will get bikes to our dealers. It's sad that I know more about when bikes, "should," be getting to my dealer's shop, than my dealer himself. Of course, I can tell him everything I know on this site, but it would matter because he - understandably - works off information from his KTM dealer rep.

Oh well, I still need to sell my Multistrada 1200S anyways.
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #83
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer
 
JTucker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: West By God Virginia
Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espada View Post
This sucks. Come on KTM, how about showing folks in VA and MD some love?! No demonstration bikes, and no official word from KTM representatives to our dealers when they will get bikes to our dealers. It's sad that I know more about when bikes, "should," be getting to my dealer's shop, than my dealer himself. Of course, I can tell him everything I know on this site, but it would matter because he - understandably - works off information from his KTM dealer rep.

Oh well, I still need to sell my Multistrada 1200S anyways.
We have one in Charleston WV if you're close enough.
__________________
http://www.ktm-parts.com
03 Aprilia Caponord 06DR650
13 GasGas EC300 05 WR450F 87 T-dub
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #84
Espada
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
We have one in Charleston WV if you're close enough.
Thanks for the intel.!
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #85
nvdesertrat
Nevada Desert Rat
 
nvdesertrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Nevada
Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
Can we get 50 cent worth?

How did the bikes compare on the pavement. We all know the R will excel in the dirt noticeably due to the 21" front wheel, but how much does it give up on the street?

Does the 21" front wheel still have that great planted feel full of feedback the 19" has?

ac
I didn't think the 1190R gave up anything on the street, I enjoyed the cornering much more with the R over the standard. So the answer is yes I believe the 21" front wheel does have the great planted feel of the 19".

I am 6' and I was a bit cramped on the standard, between seat and pegs, although I believe the seat was in the lowest position. So I would advise if you can take a test ride if you can, even if you have to travel a bit to do it.
__________________
Doug
2009 KTM 990 Adventure R
2010 KTM 450 EXC
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
nvdesertrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #86
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer
 
chief_lee_visceral's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 342
Thanks JTucker and LSHD. I have an R on order in Seattle and my dealer says December as well.

I found a options bundle offered by ktmtwins.com but there are no ordering options on the Standard or R is there? In the US you take one factory build and swap on powerparts from there correct?

This talk of "options" in the USA is confusing me.
__________________
-= Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your face =-.

chief_lee_visceral screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 07:31 AM
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #87
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdesertrat View Post
I didn't think the 1190R gave up anything on the street, I enjoyed the cornering much more with the R over the standard. So the answer is yes I believe the 21" front wheel does have the great planted feel of the 19".

I am 6' and I was a bit cramped on the standard, between seat and pegs, although I believe the seat was in the lowest position. So I would advise if you can take a test ride if you can, even if you have to travel a bit to do it.
I took a test ride on the std, the only bike they had. The seat in the low position was ridiculously cramped and I'm only 5' 11" with a 29.5" inseam!

I have read the R doesn't have much more seat to peg difference...

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #88
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal,Canada
Oddometer: 336
As far as seat height, the standard is adjustable 860mm to 875mm.. IF you get the heated ergo seats that adds another 20mm. that would be 895mm compared to the "R" is 890MM.. you would have a taller seat on the "Standard" version. Also, the pegs are adjustable 10mm up/down (so is the "R" version)
I sat on a Standard with the seat at 875mm I was not even flat footed on the floor and I'm 6"2 32 inch inseam..
So please help me understand how the "Standard "is not tall enough?

useful site
http://cycle-ergo.com/
compare the Adv 1190 STD to the "R" and you will see the Ergo on the Std and "R" are not far off. in fact if you put it to high position and the Ergo Heated Seat . the knee angle is less bent

harryzgnilek screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 06:53 AM
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #89
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Montreal,Canada
Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdesertrat View Post
I didn't think the 1190R gave up anything on the street, I enjoyed the cornering much more with the R over the standard. So the answer is yes I believe the 21" front wheel does have the great planted feel of the 19".

I am 6' and I was a bit cramped on the standard, between seat and pegs, although I believe the seat was in the lowest position. So I would advise if you can take a test ride if you can, even if you have to travel a bit to do it.
In corners with the 21" in wheels , did you notice how close the tire rubber was between the wheel rim and road? being that the width of the 21 wheel is much thinner? I have heard the rim gets way to close to the road.
your experience please?
thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #90
Cottonwood Pass
Adventurer
 
Cottonwood Pass's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Lafayette, CO and Buena Vista, CO
Oddometer: 54
The 1190 ADV finally arrived here in northern Colorado last Thursday. I rode it this last Saturday. I'm 6'1 and have a 2013 990 ADV that I bought August of this year. I bought the 990 because I had some great riding left to do, KTM had no commitment to 1190R demo's or deliveries and I have read so much about the 990 that my decision was easy.

I made an expensive decision back in August!

The dealer walked me through the electronics of the 1190 and off I went.
150hp, Continental Trail Attacks, beautiful weather and permission to demo for 50 miles. Found a lot of dirt, fields with dirt roads, berms and some resiual flood damage sand. The T/A's were not the tire for sand but on I25 and all by ways the T/A's were great, btw. Suspension is a beautiful thing for this ride in all three modes. I ran "Sport" power and suspension was Sport (can't remeber all three settings, Sport Street Comfort)?

The power, 150bhp. Wheelies. The shift light that came on at 6500r's and a noticeably smooth 6 speed trans combined with the weight that seems to be no heavier than my 990 with Jesse's. The power, acceleration and torque is definitely v-twin KTM.

I know that the1190R is my choice and my $500 deposit says so. December delivery, according to the dealer, is forecast but not reliable to me.
__________________
"Good decisions come from experience.
Experience comes from making bad decisions."
Mark Twain
Cottonwood Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014