Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #91
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Did you demo a Standard or "R" version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood Pass View Post
The 1190 ADV finally arrived here in northern Colorado last Thursday. I rode it this last Saturday. I'm 6'1 and have a 2013 990 ADV that I bought August of this year. I bought the 990 because I had some great riding left to do, KTM had no commitment to 1190R demo's or deliveries and I have read so much about the 990 that my decision was easy.

I made an expensive decision back in August!

The dealer walked me through the electronics of the 1190 and off I went.
150hp, Continental Trail Attacks, beautiful weather and permission to demo for 50 miles. Found a lot of dirt, fields with dirt roads, berms and some resiual flood damage sand. The T/A's were not the tire for sand but on I25 and all by ways the T/A's were great, btw. Suspension is a beautiful thing for this ride in all three modes. I ran "Sport" power and suspension was Sport (can't remeber all three settings, Sport Street Comfort)?

The power, 150bhp. Wheelies. The shift light that came on at 6500r's and a noticeably smooth 6 speed trans combined with the weight that seems to be no heavier than my 990 with Jesse's. The power, acceleration and torque is definitely v-twin KTM.

I know that the1190R is my choice and my $500 deposit says so. December delivery, according to the dealer, is forecast but not reliable to me.
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #92
Cottonwood Pass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Standard with the Cont TA's as stock. This was actually the euro version I was told. I wouldn't know the difference between US and euro because I've never seen a US version.

This dealer says "No demo's allowed with the R", Deposits only.
Cottonwood Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #93
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 363
So I rode a BMW F800GS for 4 years. Built it up with panniers, rally seat, bar risers, knobbies etc, etc, etc, you guys all know the drill. Ultimately I got rid of it because an 800 cc parallel twin is just plain 'uninspiring' on the street. I live about 6 hours from Moab which puts me in a particular bind when it comes to bike choice. I can't stand the idea of trailering, and if I'm gonna cage it there, I have a built up Jeep that can get me nearly any where I want to go when I arrive, but if you have ever spent time in a jacked up soft top jeep on 35's, you can imagine a full day of highway...I picked up a WR250R a few years back and it is the perfect small dualsport. Plated, will do 80, real enough suspension for tight track, light, and Japanese reliability with street bike service intervals. But 6 hours on the highway is pretty deadly. Here's hoping the big Katoom I have on order will fill the gap. Fun for the 6 hours in between me and Moab (though highway, there is a fair share of twisty) and still fun when I get there.

Until KTM does a 750 high performance twin that can carry bags, it will just have to do.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #94
harryzgnilek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood Pass View Post
Standard with the Cont TA's as stock. This was actually the euro version I was told. I wouldn't know the difference between US and euro because I've never seen a US version.

This dealer says "No demo's allowed with the R", Deposits only.
would you say the standard is still a good/great bike to have fun in the dirt?
with tck80 (offroad tires) would it be a good choice?
80/20 onroad /offroad riding

thanks
harryzgnilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #95
Cottonwood Pass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Indeed IMO it's a great bike to have fun in the dirt! I'm talking " alot of fun". Remember KTM is offering two models of this bike, your standard and the R for a reason.

Conti's are like Michelins Anake to me, they look great and are a great road tire but not so great in soup, sand or snow/slush. To me if it looks more like a road tire then it's a road tire.

I've been told that KTM 1190ADV is the offering of a bike that rivals the GS and the Duc. These to me are fantastic machines but they are much more street than the 990Adv. The 990Adv is more off-road than street.

The 1190ADV is best suited for that 80% road-running. The 19" vs 21" front wheel tells the story to me. Suspension that's "adjust on the fly" (R is not electronic adjustable) and three power settings to prevent you from doing damage to yourself or your investment. I can go a lot of places with it certainly, but I can go more places off-road with the R and do it better than the R will do on the street.

I'd like them both.
Cottonwood Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #96
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryzgnilek View Post
would you say the standard is still a good/great bike to have fun in the dirt?
with tck80 (offroad tires) would it be a good choice?
80/20 onroad /offroad riding

thanks
I blasted the demo down a gravel road. It felt good. The standing ergos left a bit to be desired, but nothing some bar risers couldn't fix.

What amazes me is riding a bike with a 19 vs a 21 back to back. I rode my Tenere with a 19 front and then immediately hopped on a buddies 950 ADV with the 21 on the same gravel road within minutes.

The 21 made the road feel PAVED it smoothed it out that much.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #97
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
We have one in Charleston WV if you're close enough.
Five hours is too far away, unfortunately.

Does KTM consider the DC metro area a different sales region from Charleston, WV and thus serviced by a different corporate rep? I find it baffling that areas North, South, and West of here are getting demo bikes or able to place orders, but here - not a word.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #98
Espada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspaldo View Post

Does KTM consider the DC metro area a different sales region from Charleston, WV and thus serviced by a different corporate rep? I find it baffling that areas North, South, and West of here are getting demo bikes or able to place orders, but here - not a word.
Maybe KTM does not like US foriegn policy, and thus is taking it out on us.
Espada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #99
Jake Mountain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:

I was told at the KTM dealer where i demo'd the 1190, that the dealers that went to Austria got the first demo bikes into the US. Then the other dealers will get there's.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #100
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mountain View Post
I was told at the KTM dealer where i demo'd the 1190, that the dealers that went to Austria got the first demo bikes into the US. Then the other dealers will get there's.
I was also told the dealers that went to Austria to ride were given the option to buy the bike they rode. The demo bike I rode was purchased after the ride and shipped over. So technically it was a 2013 and had the euro color scheme and why there was not a standard and an R to demo.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #101
aspaldo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Looks like my whining has paid off. Turns out there's an 1190 on the way to America with my name on it. HOPEFULLY it'll be here next month. I'll be swinging into my dealership to do up the paperwork on Saturday.

I'm getting a chubby just thinking about it.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #102
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Looks like my whining has paid off. Turns out there's an 1190 on the way to America with my name on it. HOPEFULLY it'll be here next month. I'll be swinging into my dealership to do up the paperwork on Saturday.

I'm getting a chubby just thinking about it.

'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #103
motomuppet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath View Post
So I rode a BMW F800GS for 4 years. Built it up with panniers, rally seat, bar risers, knobbies etc, etc, etc, you guys all know the drill. Ultimately I got rid of it because an 800 cc parallel twin is just plain 'uninspiring' on the street. I live about 6 hours from Moab which puts me in a particular bind when it comes to bike choice. I can't stand the idea of trailering, and if I'm gonna cage it there, I have a built up Jeep that can get me nearly any where I want to go when I arrive, but if you have ever spent time in a jacked up soft top jeep on 35's, you can imagine a full day of highway...I picked up a WR250R a few years back and it is the perfect small dualsport. Plated, will do 80, real enough suspension for tight track, light, and Japanese reliability with street bike service intervals. But 6 hours on the highway is pretty deadly. Here's hoping the big Katoom I have on order will fill the gap. Fun for the 6 hours in between me and Moab (though highway, there is a fair share of twisty) and still fun when I get there.

Until KTM does a 750 high performance twin that can carry bags, it will just have to do.
Have you ridden a 690 Enduro? With some Rally Raid kit it could be just what you are looking for, albeit not a twin.
motomuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #104
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
The 1190 "T" went up on the USA website today. I am pre-ordering farkles so I am locked and loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #105
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
So for you guys that are putting down deposits for the first ones in.

Are you paying the suggested price of $16400?? This is what I was quoted, and I don't mind paying it as I expected them to be that much for the first run of them.