ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer: 1,056
Laugh The quest to find another lost "trail".

I posted this on TT, but I have yet to get a response. I know there are a few rock hounds hiding in the corners in here...

I'd like to get one more alpine ride in this season before the snow hits. There are a few "trails" (I use that term loosely) that may or may not be on the map that cross very technical rock sections over mountain peaks. I was up there on Saturday with my wife, but I wasn't about to make her drag her high-strung YZF any further through that hell. We turned around where we lost the trail, but the map shows it continuing along the ridge. I'd like to make it to the lake that is a few miles from where I last made it.

I am opening this invitation to anyone who has enough experience in this type of terrain and thinks they won't be holding up the group (any more than can be expected). Please be honest with your abilities and respect this request. A trials bike would be perfect, but there are about 20-25 miles of high-speed FS roads to get to the good stuff that might make a trials bike uncomfortable and out of gas. I'd like to keep a small group, maybe open to the first 4 who respond. The plan is to head up there next weekend (Sat, Oct. 12 preferably, weather - and wife's permission - pending). The days are getting short, so I'd like to get an early start. (Maybe meet over there around 6 or 7?) The location is over towards, but not technically in, the Silver Valley, ID.

If you choose to go, you have to accept the fact that you will be following a bone-stock, 13 year-old, air-cooled bike with a rider who has carpel tunnel so bad he can barely make it 10 minutes without shaking feeling back into his hands. If you are cool with that, then let's do this!

There will be plenty of....

XR4EVER screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 01:51 PM
XR4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Why do you have to be 600 miles away from me?

Maybe a better question is why do I have to live 600 miles from there? Because if it was only 2 or 300 miles I'd be there in a second.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #4
chokozip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Orange your only a day drive away:)

I wish I could help you with info but I will sit here waiting for the report on your findings instead.

Sean
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
I'd hit that, but I'm riding a club event that weekend. Next time.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
dukegnarley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Because if it was only 2 or 300 miles I'd be there in a second.
Your bike must be faster than mine.
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Why do you have to be 600 miles away from me?

Maybe a better question is why do I have to live 600 miles from there? Because if it was only 2 or 300 miles I'd be there in a second.
This winter when you reflect on all the rides you went on this season, this is the one you will think about the most... "Dangit! I should have made the drive out there!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I'd hit that, but I'm riding a club event that weekend. Next time.
Club events are a dime a dozen. Come to the dark side. We have candy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley View Post
Old 10-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,199
I wish I lived in Idaho sometimes...
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
OrangeYZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
This winter when you reflect on all the rides you went on this season, this is the one you will think about the most... "Dangit! I should have made the drive out there!"
Oh I'll be reflecting the most on a trail ride in Idaho where we explored lost trails and rode through rock fields. It'll just be the one in July where we went out to Baumgarter for a week

We all have to draw the line somewhere, and my line is three 600 mile trips to ride my dirtbike in faraway places in one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley View Post
Well, not this second, just a second that might happen about 7 or 8 hours after I get out of the driveway
Old 10-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

I just realized I have video from where we lost the trail. The trail should hook right along the highest ridge, and the lake is down in that valley below. The wide-angle lens flattens the landscape dramatically....

Old 10-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Saturday's forecast for that trail:

Maybe I should get my redneck snow tires finished for Saturday. Brrrrr
Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
lincolnlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
If you are going again, count me in! I was riding Utah/CO for the last week. This type of ride looks right up my alley.
lincolnlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
XR4EVER OP
919 excuses to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnlock View Post
If you are going again, count me in! I was riding Utah/CO for the last week. This type of ride looks right up my alley.
You bet!

It turned out to just be me and Kootenai Rider. We decided to bail on the original plan and go find some gnar at a lower elevation. I checked the forecast the morning of, and it was up to a 60% chance of snow. I was worried we would get in and not be able to get out. My 2 year old had me up at 3:30am, so I got up, plotted out a new route, went down to the shop and put my new rear tire on (I didn't want to shred it in the rocks) and mounted up the chainsaw (ended up only needing it almost once). Then I watched all day as Paul picked up is light little ring dinger while I was powerlifting my pig-iron + saw. But we found some of the "best" switchbacks that ID has to offer. I will get some video posted if our internet ever decides to cooperate.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR4EVER View Post
...went down to the shop and put my new rear tire on (I didn't want to shred it in the rocks)...
Wish I had a new tire... maybe I could have actually made it to Lemonade Peak.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"

Kootenai Rider screwed with this post 10-14-2013 at 03:09 PM
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
Wicked

Definitely want to see some pictures of this ride.

XR will test you with his "Trails". Better be in shape.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote