Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #46
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Thank you for sharing your adventurous tale with the world. I enjoy your writing and your determination. I'm looking forward to hearing how your journey unfolds. Safe travels!
rootsy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #47
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thanks Rootsy! I'm pretty curious to see what happens too...
For example it looks like I have to stay and work in Colombia for a while, whereas before I thought I would have enough to finish South America before needing to work in South Korea...
steelhorsenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #48
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Doohicky= camchain tensioner? Suzuki DRZ400 was great at breaking them also. Ask me how I know.

Pass the popcorn, I'm in also.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Doohicky= camchain tensioner? Suzuki DRZ400 was great at breaking them also. Ask me how I know.

Pass the popcorn, I'm in also.
That's exactly what it is, and I don't even want to ask how you know - it is rarely a story you hear without a tinge of pain. But hey man, even Achilles had a heel right?

Welcoome aboard the crazy train!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #50
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

Sponsors

So I wish I could sit here and tell you that I could do this all on my own. The fact is I've had some great help along the way, from truly excellent companies, so I would like to take this moment to give them a shout out, and officially endorse their stuff.

First up: Happy-Trail Panniers
These guys were my first sponsors, who really helped me get in the saddle and on the road with my first dual-sport. Not only are their boxes bullet proof, and high speed crash resistant, they are actually water and dust proof - this fact has been tested under some very hairy conditions (i.e. tropical storm, sand storm, beach riding, dozens of drops into sand, mud and dust).
In fact, Happy-Trail panniers are one of the reasons I was able to walk away from the big crash in Guatemala (story coming, don't you woory :) ), is because the panniers kept the bike from trapping my leg underneath - so it just slid off me. Not only did I stop short of hitting the rail, I actually walked away from the crash! Thanks Happy-Trail, I sure do love my legs, you know, all attached to me and stuff!

Lots of love for Happy-Trail.com

If any of you guys have questions about which panniers I have, or more details on how great they are, feel free to message me anytime.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #51
O'Malley
O'Malley

Oddometer: 22
Bro,

You are an awesome writer! Keep it coming.

O'Malley
O'Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #52
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

A few More Shout outs

Before I continue, I would like to mention a few more companies whose sponsorship of my journey has allowed me to make it this far.
In retrospect I wish I did not have problems with accepting money, as I am now stuck in Colombia and must find work. But these companies did allow me to purchase at a great discount, or have donated, some invaluable items, so that I could save that money for, you know, food, and stuff.

IMS gave me a great deal on their 10 gallon tank! It looks and feel ridiculously big, however it has been the number one icebreaker for me whenever I stop anywhere, as it, not my KLR, draws a crowd! I would also like to add that through all of my drops and the accident, the tank barely shows a scratch! Because it's a single piece of plastic there are no seams to crack and break upon impact. It's durability never ceases to amaze me! I'm also looking forward to not having to strap a million gallons of extra gas to the rear of my bike when I go to the high deserts of Chile and Argentina, or to Tierra del Fuego!

Grand Trunk donated a hammock! I know, it doesn't sound like much, but this is one of my favorite things to have. Not only is it comfy, extremely light and compact, but it also comes with a sewn in mosquito net!! This, my friends, is invaluable! I have enjoyed many beautiful nights cradled in this hammock, and awoke without the need to tear off my skin just to stop the itch from the bites of the millions of insects which hover in wait of human prey in Central and South America.

These guys have been rooting for me from day one. They donated a helmet cam, which, because it was not a GoPro, broke before I could get any good video. So if you have any electronic recycling, or asset management needs, these are the guys to call - not only because they were so good to me, but because they actually do a great job and offer the best price for the service.

These guys said, no, sorry we can't sponsor you right now, but here's a $500 motorcycle jacket. They may not be an official sponsor, but they deserve a shout like all the rest. And I don;t know what Andy, the owner, had been through to create a jacket like the Darien, but it must of been hairy 'cause this thing is built like a tank. Whenever I put it on I feel like I'm ready to ride into battle - and that's a good feeling to have from your protective gear!

Another great company who got on board in a heart beat. These guys sent me their best alarm, free of charge! It has a tilt sensor, a shock sensor, an ignition censor, a two-way pager so you can know what's happening even when out of hearing range... wow! And it works! A curious person tried to lift the cover from Georgia and the alarm got very upset - it was great!

And a very special shout out to Burbank Kawasaki, who helped me install all the great stuff from Happy-Trail and IMS, as well as giving me a tune up, and some great gear as well!
Old 11-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #53
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
How I know about the cam chain tensioner problem:
Was riding the DRZ in Colorado. Was on a jeep road at 12,000 feet and suddenly....noise. Shut the bike off immediately. I coasted back down to about 10,000 feet, while thinking what the problem could be and somehow I figured it out.
I pulled the tensioner out(easy to do on this bike) and low and behold the tab at the end of the spring was broken. I pulled the spring up and made a new tab from it, put it back in, and the bike ran PERFECTLY!!!
So I get home and order the "new and improved" one from Suzuki(and not the aftermarket one, thinking they "improved" it)). First ride out with it the new one and the %@#%# broke and ruined my valves!!

Sorry to hijack your report with this but.... yeah I know all too well.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #54
KipperMatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Thank you for inviting us along on your adventure. Although not a picture heavy ride report so far, your writing style creates on our minds the scene.

I spent some time looking through the links posted for your sponsors. Kudos to them for what they have given you and for stepping up and having real all "over the world" testing of their products.

Come on everyone, click the links, buy some stuff, show them that their sponsorship of this ride was not in vain.

I have put together a shopping list from some of your sponsors... lol
AreoStitch Falstaff jacket and pants and a gorilla alarm.

The Falstaff looks like it will fit the bill for me. My previous bike wear was a "Aussie Outback" (canadian brand of oilskins) jacket of similar look, but without the armor as it is not designed for motorcycle riding. After many years of sun, rain, snow, sand and bugs, it took on a bit of a scent memory of Staten Island in the hot summer. I'm not one to dress like an astronaut for rides, but do like to be safe, so Falstaff it is.

Ride on.... I'll be right here following behind you at my desk in corporate cubicle hell.

KipperMatic screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 12:21 PM
KipperMatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #55
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

You see Advill, you see, you hurt me, I felt your pain! Way to go on fixing it on the spot, but somavabich! The first ride out with the new one?!
I think the thing to do with with them is periodically loosen and tighten them (as per the suggestion of my good friends at ultimateride.ca).
I still have moments when I look back on the decision to change it in San Diego instead of L.A, and proceed to bang my head against the nearest wall.

Thanks Kipper! Thank you for the support and for the bump for the companies - they truly are great! I know you will be happy with the jacket, and alarm. I get a warm and fuzzy every time I hear it beep goodbye to me :) I'm also much more used to jeans and a leather jacket, but that accident really brought it home - plus astronauts are cool! ;)

I know I don;t post as many pictures as others, and I actually have a reason for it, however I will post much more real soon. I'm just waiting to finish a section, for example North America, before posting a million pics in order to not take away from the writing (on which I work very hard, though it may not seem like it at times). Thanks for sticking with me!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #56
hvilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Thanks for taking us along...

hvilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #57
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
I am having so much fun with Alexander this evening down here in Medellin, Colombia. I haven't been following this ride report so forgive me. Just having a great time here in Colombia. Here is a pic of Alexander with his new traveling companion Val:

We are having a blast down here at the Shamrock Pub. What a great couple of folks. Okay, I guess he just met her today and it is some sort of a four month internet dialog, but let me tell you Alexander and Valerie are the sweetest looking travel couple I have seen in a long time.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #58
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
It was really nice meeting Alexander. What a great guy. And let me tell you there is nothing nicer than a Russian ADVrider meeting a fourth generation Zimbabwean traveler on the road south. What a sweet story:

Alexander and Valerie are lovely people. I sure had fun hanging out with those two this evening.

Alexander is living on the edge. He's my new adopted ADVnephew.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 11:44 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #59
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

Good times with Tio Juan!

I spent the day dragging my ass around Medellin, in a shirt and tie no less, looking for work, so meeting no less than 6 fellow bikers from around the world and sharing a brew at Shamrock Pub was the perfect way to end the day!

We had Israel, Russia, U.S, Denmark, Scotland, Canada, Zimbabwe all sharing stories and brews - so perfect!

Yet another reason to love our ADVRider community - about which we spent some time reminiscing - so you guys might be far away, but never far from our thoughts.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #60
steelhorsenyc OP
Adventurer

Picture Time

Have I been a bit short on photos friends? Well, allow me to remedy that...

Ending the crossing of the world's second biggest country

My steel horse was not meant for gravel, she's a city girl - but she did not let me down!

Lake Moraine, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada, this side of Heaven

The milky flows of Alberta's rivers

Rivers of jade in Banff/Jasper

Nothing like approaching the mountains

The perfect end to a day in Vancouver

The Palouse, Washington State

Rising towers

Sunset in New Brunswick

Nothing more glorious than the Oregon coast

Ominous skies over the Great Lakes

Wild traffic in Alberta

I may not have my own home, but so many people have welcomed me into theirs... which sometimes is a 1970's trailer

Road Brothers in Glacier National Park, Montana

Unwelcomed encounters in Glacier

After a long day's ride in Vancouver

Forecast of a night of horror

We shared so much... including a heart attack from the grizzlies and moose

Yeah, we know...

Friends and Angels in Lethbridge

The leap - more than just a dive into Lake Superior

Glacier... just Glacier

Vancouver days

The Glacier Highway is a difficult road to ride - you have to stop every 15 seconds and just stare at the awesome beauty

America, the beautiful

Sitting on the dock of the bay, in Maine

Oh Canada

It had to end at some point - USA the Ride - Part I