Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
thump_co
..ouch

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
Boom! My name is on the registrar. Lets see how well I can do. This will be my first attempt at racing hard enduros.

http://ultra4racing.com/drivers/caraway602
It's really just like a regular enduro, with maybe one or two extra logs and rocks.

AMA | COHVCO | Stay The Trail | BRC | TPA | BCTR | NCTR
thump_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:55 AM   #17
Tork OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,400
Quote:
Boom! My name is on the registrar. Lets see how well I can do. This will be my first attempt at racing hard enduros.

. Good Luck .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:

nice! you driving out there?
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Facebook post with a cool video of KOM. Hopefully the link works.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=634511879946458
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #20
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
nice! you driving out there?

I have several friends from the area headed out there. I think I am going to put my bike in their trailer. Then fly out there with my parents and meet the crew in Hammer Town.

Although the race itself is a solo event with no spectator or mechanical assistance, I could use a bunch of help in the pits. My parents are coming out to help with coordinating for tech inspection or even keeping me well fed.

Im finally finishing the last bits of my computer science degree and will able to transition back into being an athlete again. KOM is going to be a great introduction into this new chapter in my life. I don't have any illusions of grandeur for my first event. But I do have a big heart and a very stubborn will.

While preparing for a big ride earlier this year, a good friend posed an intellectual question. "If you cry in the middle of the forest, but no one is around to hear you cry... Did your tears make a noise?" I find hard enduros to be especially unique in the offroad world. The above quote seems fitting for this upcoming event.
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #21
Simon Slapstick
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ultra4 just posted up an update and message from Dave Cole, the 'car' race organizer.

http://ultra4racing.com/the-inside-l...-motos-riders/

Quote:
Open Letter to the Off-Road Motorcycle Community,

2014 marks the 3rd annual King of the Motos race held in Johnson Valley, CA. As the founder of King of The Hammers, I created this race because I believe in grass roots extreme off road racing. I want to show the world that the best two-wheel athletes are racing extreme enduros; not only abroad, but also here in the United States. Southern California is home to many of the world’s top Moto riders and what better place to showcase their talents than in the diverse terrain offered by Johnson Valley, CA?

Because this is only our third year, we are still working to find the right combination of challenging terrain, entry fees and number of registered riders to make King of The Motos the best race it can be. I have enlisted the feedback of former and potential riders on how we can make this event better. Based on their input, we are making some changes effective immediately for 2014.

The 10K purse will be paid down to 10th place. All top 10 Pro riders will at least receive their entry fee back. We are bringing back teams and sportsman classes, cost is reduced to $200 per rider and we will issue refunds to any riders that wish to race sportsman for a trophy instead of Pro for a purse. Riders do not have to qualify on Saturday to compete on Sunday. Riders that do not qualify on Saturday will start Sunday at the back of the pack. With qualifying taking place in front of a major audience in Hammertown, riders that don’t qualify will miss an opportunity to ride in front of thousands of spectators both on the lake bed and online, but they won’t miss the opportunity to race. The race will continue to have the same level of professional coverage that it received last year.

I am working hard to make this event a world-class racing event, and I welcome feedback from the Moto community. If you have an idea of how we can make King of The Motos the best extreme enduro race in the country, I welcome your input. My phone number is 909.273.0216 and I look forward to hearing from you.

See you on the lake bed…

Sincerely,

Dave Cole
Simon Slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #22
35xj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
hung out with Dave Cole quite a bit. he's a good guy, and this race will continue to get bigger and better every year.

"Hammertown" is one hell of a good time, everybody should go out and see the show if they can!
35xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #23
rburkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:

BAM! I'm in too. Just signed up yesterday.
Since I heard about the event I though it was really cool, but assumed that it was only for pro invite only people. Turns out that now it's just open to anyone. Just wanted to point that out in case there are others more noobish guys like me that were not sure they could just sign up and take part.

I've been doing too much riding/racing on the 990 and maybe have been out on a dirt bike twice in the last few years, so now I just have to dust off the kids bike and learn how to ride it again!

Looking forward to the pain and good times at KOM.
rburkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #24
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 495
To all racers. Trail Tech is going to have a very good deal on the Voyager GPS for signed up entrants. You will get an email about this when it is all set up.

The Voyager is what I use to lay out the course and it is the easiest GPS to use during the race. And yes, you will need a GPS.

The reason is that we do not mark like a typical race. The GPS aids in finding the right line, hitting the correct waypoints to make sure you stayed on course and most of all to make riders watch out for dangers on their own terms and not expect them to be marked. This is a motorcycle survival race after all.

JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #25
AZ Air Hd
Rider - NOT biker

Oddometer: 82
Taylor Will be there!

Taylor Robert will be there again. On KTM now, still #33. Good luck to all & safe rides (rip, K.C. #66)!
Old 12-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
Tork OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,400
Can't wait Keep the check ins going
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #27
Oilworker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello,

as it happens I invited a good friend and his dad to come and visit the King of the Hammers this year., an event that am again covering for my agency.
Now Felix, did some further reading and as a enthusiastic offroader with his Enduro and MX bikes he now wants to become the first german, seemingly, to enter the King of the Motos.

There only is a minor problem he is facing, he can't bring his bike over from Germany in time and thus looks for a bike to rent for the event.

I have already asked a few friends in the US, but then remembered this forum which I sofar only have been reading.
I have asked Felix to sign up here himself, but until then I´ll forward any advice you may have.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Robert
Oilworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #28
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 495
I have suggested to some other riders who were worried about scratching their bikes to look on Craigslist and find a $2500-$3000 KTM 2-stroke and race that. I use a 2006 KTM 200 to set up the whole course...
He could sell it for what he bought it for I'd suspect.
JIMMY
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #29
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
I have suggested to some other riders who were worried about scratching their bikes to look on Craigslist and find a $2500-$3000 KTM 2-stroke and race that. I use a 2006 KTM 200 to set up the whole course...
He could sell it for what he bought it for I'd suspect.
JIMMY
Jimmy, I keep waiting for someone to set up a trails/desert bike hybrid to run this race but it still seems to be polarized to either one or the other end of the extreme and not a blend. Is this a valid path or does the trials end of things give away too much in the open desert sections?

I've also wondered about how a Christini 2wd bike would fare...
Ace100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #30
Oilworker
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanx Jimmy,

what would be the best bike to buy form a sale perspective?

And what navigation equipment would be best/recommended?

Thanx,

Robert