Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #106
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
DOT tires required, per FIM rally rules.
Do all of the FIM rally rules apply?

About how long would it take to drive to/from the start/finish from (pick the closest US city as a reference point), including border crossing?

thanks
Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #107
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
Do all of the FIM rally rules apply?
No, but for tires it helps us keep everything simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace View Post
About how long would it take to drive to/from the start/finish from (pick the closest US city as a reference point), including border crossing?
We haven't finalized the exact bivouac spot yet, but the most likely start/finish location will be less than an hour from the border crossing, which is not far from Mexicali MX or Yuma, AZ.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:21 PM   #108
silverstone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Race License

What type of race license do we need FIM, FIA or do you have other ideas????

my face is laying on the pavement, tasting something awful, i hate it when that happens...
silverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #109
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstone View Post
What type of race license do we need FIM, FIA or do you have other ideas????
I don't think there is a need for either FIM or FIA for our first year. I'll let you know if that changes.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM   #110
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 346
How much of a rally noob can you be to logically think about trying this rally. I only have three Rally Motos under my belt and all at Sandblast.
Is it too late to learn the basics to participate?
Old 12-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #111
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
How much of a rally noob can you be to logically think about trying this rally. I only have three Rally Motos under my belt and all at Sandblast. Is it too late to learn the basics to participate?
Navigation in Diabolico is quite different than Sandblast, so I'm not sure that will help you much. Don't sign up for Diabolico until you understand what "HP" means in the rally world. It has nothing to do with your motor!

I recommend taking a class from RMS. You'll learn a lot of simple tricks that will make it easier and more fun for you, and you'll get some good practice with the training roadbooks. It's WELL worth it!

But basic roadbook reading is pretty simple. It's doing it under pressure and not making mistakes that's hard. I'm not putting in any magic tricks or miss-directions in the Diabolico roadbooks, so if you have the right tools, understand the roadbook details, and don't ever make a mistake, you can probably do just fine.

One thing you should definitely practice before coming is following a numeric GPS compass heading, and having good situational awareness regarding compass directions. You'll want to have burned into your head which way 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270° are, and have a rough idea which direction any heading between 0° and 360° is. The heading number on your GPS will tell you, but you should have a good sense of this even without a GPS.

Keep in mind Diabolico isn't just navigation. There are some monster dunes out there. If you can get through the dunes, the rest should be a piece of cake. If you can't handle dunes, come and help another rider in the bivouac.

----------------------------------

So, we're out prerunning a stage, it's flat hard pack for many miles, and we're on a very faint road. Then suddenly the ground drops out from under us and we go off this edge. Lucky it wasn't a straight off cliff! What we hadn't noticed is that the faint road had curved off to one side, following along the top of the cliff. Turning lemons into lemon aid, the roadbook now says "!!! HP" from the top of this cliff, off the edge, and out to some random point in the distance.

HogWild screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 08:19 PM
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #112
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Navigation in Diabolico is quite different than Sandblast, so I'm not sure that will help you much. Don't sign up for Diabolico until you understand what "HP" means in the rally world. It has nothing to do with your motor!

I recommend taking a class from RMS. You'll learn a lot of simple tricks that will make it easier and more fun for you, and you'll get some good practice with the training roadbooks. It's WELL worth it!

But basic roadbook reading is pretty simple. It's doing it under pressure and not making mistakes that's hard. I'm not putting in any magic tricks or miss-directions in the Diabolico roadbooks, so if you have the right tools, understand the roadbook details, and don't ever make a mistake, you can probably do just fine.

One thing you should definitely practice before coming is following a numeric GPS compass heading, and having good situational awareness regarding compass directions. You'll want to have burned into your head which way 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270° are, and have a rough idea which direction any heading between 0° and 360° is. The heading number on your GPS will tell you, but you should have a good sense of this even without a GPS.

Keep in mind Diabolico isn't just navigation. There are some monster dunes out there. If you can get through the dunes, the rest should be a piece of cake. If you can't handle dunes, come and help another rider in the bivouac.

----------------------------------

So, we're out prerunning a stage, it's flat hard pack for many miles, and we're on a very faint road. Then suddenly the ground drops out from under us and we go off this edge. Lucky it wasn't a straight off cliff! What we hadn't noticed is that the faint road had curved off to one side, following along the top of the cliff. Turning lemons into lemon aid, the roadbook now says "!!! HP" from the top of this cliff, off the edge, and out to some random point in the distance.

"!!!HP"... Holy PHUCK.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #113
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Holy moly, imagine ploughing off that at 150!!!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #114
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,061
Yep, Rally...its a lot of ride what you can see and don't trust the road book too much. Always a little exciting when you crest some giant dune and find a different vertical approach on the other side.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #115
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,311
Ah Geez

I may have to figure out how to get down to Mexico for March through May now. . .

This looks fan freakin tastic!

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #116
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Any new UPDATES????
Old 12-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #117
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Any new UPDATES????
We made a final decision on the bivouac location. For a while we had a couple of options, but finally decided on the original spot. It's out a very nice dirt road, easily accessible by large motorhomes, big trailers, etc. I can’t say much more on that.

I’m working on a map package to send to the guy doing the environmental impact study. Since the rally enters an environmental preserve area, we are under the microscope. It will be a major accomplishment to get through this since there has never been racing in this area before. All indications are we’ll get everything we need to have a fantastic rally.

We’ve been getting great support from ejidos and others down there, helping us get everything in order. I can’t give names, but rest assured the local Mexican people are eager to have us down there, and are clearing the bumps one after another!

I’m working on getting the entry registration process finalized.

I’ll be going down to prerun some new stuff we found soon.

Diabolico could not have gotten this far without Darren Skilton’s skills and connections. THANK YOU Darren for joining in the vision of providing a true taste of Dakar in our own back yard!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #118
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Great news Scott.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #119
cagiva900
John Deykes

Oddometer: 34
Getting excited.

So Scott, you're going to make all the loyal Lowrance fans finally change to Garmin???? And my little Aprilia likes loooong distances between gas stops. Your right, this isn't the San Felipe 250.

Cagiva 900 Rally Elefant
Aprilia Rally RXV 450
Husqvarna 510
660 Raptor
cagiva900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #120
johnBOYhenson
rallye intern

Oddometer: 205
Super stoked!

Scott,

i'm really excited that Rally has come to N. America! So, hat's off to you man for putting this together!

I'm here, lurking, waiting for the final word and then i plan to sign up!

Cheers,

JBH